MEDLIB-L January 1996, Week 2

Re: ?Fen-Phen

Pietr Hitzig <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Jan 1996 17:59:27 GMT

---------------------------------21592308326883

See attached FAQ

---------------------------------21592308326883

        The FEN/PHEN  Protocol Frequently Asked Questions

                        Brief introduction

For the last three years, the FEN/PHEN  protocol has led to the remission of
many illnesses.  The treatment  increases the brain neuro- transmitters,
serotonin and dopamine, the major regulators of the body and brain. The
conditions that are FEN/PHEN -treatable include craving disorders such as
obesity and drug and alcohol addiction; immune disorders such as asthma and
hives; and obsessive/compulsive conditions such as nail biting and bulimia.
If properly monitored and adjusted, FEN/PHEN  can manage psychoneuroses and
Persian Gulf illness, chronic fatigue, and Post-Vietnam post-traumatic stress
disorders.  Attention deficit disorders,  with or without hyperactivity,
resolve nicely.  Chemical hypersensitivity, fibromyalgia and autoimmune
disorders including psoriasis and cutaneous lupus respond as well.   You may
not find your particular affliction There are too many treatable conditions
to list in this report.

  What are the medications?
The primary medications are phentermine and fenfluramine. The Federal Food
and Drug Administration approved them in the 1960's. They  have been widely
prescribed for weight loss.

In certain cases, other medications are used to augment specific desired
effects.  Melatonin is a natural substance that if taken between 8-9 PM
decreases dopamine and thus promotes a restful sleep.

A precursor is a substance from which another substance is formed.  For
instance, one could say that an egg is a precursor of an omelet.  Levodopa,
the precursor, becomes dopamine and 5-hydroxytryptophan, another precursor,
becomes serotonin.

  Are the medications addicting?
No, they are not.  Addictive substances induce intense pleasure. This
pleasure results from a rapid increase in the "reward neurotransmitter,"
dopamine.

Consider the difference between an army ration and M&M's.  Army rations rid
you of hunger pangs but are not pleasurable to eat.  M&M's and other
chocolate products give intense pleasure to some.  Army rations are not
addicting.  Chocolate definitely is addicting to many.  FEN/PHEN  is the
equivalent of army rations both take away pain but doesn't give pleasure.
There has been no evidence of phentermine or fenfluramine addiction in nearly
three decades' use, and not one FEN/PHEN  protocol patient over 2,000 in the
past three years has become addicted.

  How much weight can I lose?
While the early combinations of fenfluramine and phentermine resulted in
significant weight loss in some, the weight loss is significantly greater now
that the FEN/PHEN  protocol has been developed.  The "one dose for all"
concept is obsolete.  Custom FEN/PHEN  dosing is now possible.  Each patient
gets just enough dopamine and just enough serotonin. This markedly decreases
the possibility of side-effects while maximizing weight loss and other
beneficial effects of treatment.

  Must I also diet to lose weight?
No.  The FEN/PHEN  protocol does not include a diet.  Dieting can sabotage
the FEN/PHEN  program.  Recent studies at Rockefeller University have shown
food deprivation causes a drop in the metabolic rate.  Fewer calories are
consumed.  The brain thinks it is in a famine.  You avoid this by not
depriving yourself.

FEN/PHEN   adjusts both appetite and metabolism so that you can have weight
loss without hunger. Patients in the FEN/PHEN  protocol unconsciously choose
healthy and well-balanced foods.  Some are totally amazed that they prefer
fruit to .Twinkies.

  I don't exercise. Should I feel guilty?
No.   One beauty of the FEN/PHEN  program is that there is no need to
exercise to lose weight or to feel good.  Along with improving your mood,
FEN/PHEN  adjusts your appetite and metabolism.  If you enjoy exercise, so
much the better, but there is no need to feel guilty if you don't.  You are
in it for the long haul.  Enjoy yourself.

  How can FEN/PHEN  do so many things?
Approximately twenty-five centuries ago, the great Athenian doctor,
Hippocrates, believed that balance is health, imbalance, illness and pain.
For more than three hundred years this concept has been in disfavor.  The
FEN/PHEN  hypothesis suggests that he was right after all.

Hippocrates argued that the body is healthy when the hot element, he called
it the sanguine humor,  is balanced by the cool humor, phlegm.  The sanguine
humor bears a resemblance to dopamine.  Dopamine increases temperature and
the metabolic rate.  It is clearly a stimulant.  Serotonin would be, in this
analogy, the phlegmatic humor.  Incidentally, the Chinese YIN/YANG is also
remarkably consistent with this model.  YANG and dopamine are equivalent; YIN
and serotonin are likewise paired.

Ideally, dopamine and serotonin brain levels should be high and balanced.
Genetic abnormalities, environmental stressors, and the aging process itself
not only decrease both but also can create a dopamine/serotonin imblance.
The resultant deficiencies and imbalances, associated with other genetic and
environmental factors, cause illness.  For example, low dopamine causes
depression and fatigue; low serotonin results in anxiety and hostility.
Excess dopamine causes agitation; excess serotonin causes confusion, nausea,
and vomiting.  Cocaine can easily cause the former, alcohol and marijuana the
latter.

Pain is necessary for survival.  Without pain we would die and the species
would become extinct.  Insufficient dopamine is painful.  Causing depression,
fibromyalgia, hunger, thirst, lust and cravings for drugs or alcohol,  the
deficiency of dopamine motivates us to action.  Animal experiments have shown
that the intake of food, water, drugs and alcohol and the sexual act increase
dopamine and serotonin.  Eating, drinking, copulating, and using drugs and
alcohol relieve pain and can give us pleasure.  This ceaseless search for
contentment and pleasure is Freud's id.

Freud's superego is serotonin, the counterfoil to dopamine.  Serotonin, in
excess, causes nausea and vomiting, both painful experiences.  We avoid these
pains in most circumstances.  Pain tells us not only to start an action but
also to stop. This is just one example how the dopamine/serotonin ratio
maintains the body's balance or homeostasis.

Disturbances in homeostasis or serotonin/dopamine cause hormonal imbalances,
abnormal body chemistries and blood counts, and disturbances in appetite and
mood.  Correction of the imbalance partially or completely restores
homeostasis.

The beauty of the FEN/PHEN  protocol is that it permits regulation of each
neurotransmitter independently.  If there is a dopamine insufficiency, the
phentermine dose can be increased; an excess of serotonin, the fenfluramine
dose is tapered.  Other medications such as Prozac) increase both dopamine
and serotonin on a fixed ratio and cannot be so finely adjusted.

  Can FEN/PHEN   treat immune disorders as well?
In the last decade, scientists have discovered  what the poets have known all
along the mind and the body are intimately connected.  The same
neurotransmitter systems that so profoundly affect moods are also involved in
immune function.  Have asthma?  Increase dopamine.  Have psoriasis?  A little
more serotonin, please. [More technically, dopamine is a potent TH1 agonist
and a TH2 antagonist.  Serotonin is a TH2 agonist and TH1 antagonist.]

  I am an air traffic controller.  Will these medications interfere with my
job?
These medications will improve your concentration, not interfere with it.
The FAA statutes should be reviewed, however.

  Will they show up in urine drug screens?
They will not show up in routine urine testing.  Furthermore, they are
physician-prescribed medications.

  I found a description of phentermine in my copy of "The Pill Book."  It
cautions against using it if you have heart disease, high blood pressure,
thyroid disease, or glaucoma.  Should this be a concern?
The rationale behind the fenfluramine/phentermine combination is that each
medication cancels the side-effects known to result from the use of the
other. There are practically no medical contraindications.

   I have heard that this drug combination can cause hair loss.  Is this
true?
Perhaps one percent of women have a problem with some temporary hair loss.
This can be corrected quite easily. It usually happens around the Labor Day
holiday and is caused by the seasonal decrease in dopamine.  An increase of
dopamine can prevent it or stop this hair loss.

  I have heard that these medications cause memory loss and sexual problems.
Is this true?
Some short-term problems have been documented.  The doctor using the
FEN/PHEN  protocol can resolve such problems by adjusting the dosages of each
medication.

  Are there long-term side effects?
No. In clinical trials and in more than twenty-five years of use, no long
term side effects have been documented.  However, if these medications are
not properly balanced, the potential side-effects could be serious.  Make
sure that your doctor understands the principles behind FEN/PHEN.  If he or
she doesn't, adverse effects may result.

  I have migraine headaches.  Will this worsen them?

Perhaps temporarily.  However, the restoration of balance not only corrects
these headaches but also those that were symptomatic before treatment.

  If  immune disorders can be controlled by FEN/PHEN  can improper use of
phentermine and fenfluramine produce these conditions?
Absolutely.  The indiscriminate use of these medications without balance is
fraught with danger.  We advise our patients to report ANY change in their
medical conditions.

    Will I normalize my own dopamine and serotonin and be able to stop taking
FEN/PHEN ?
Possibly but highly unlikely.  The dopamine and serotonin shortages and
imbalances usually result from irreversible processes.

  Will I have to increase the doses?
That depends on the individual patient. Your doses may increase, decrease, or
stay the same. There are changes occurring in the balance all the time as the
result of stress, season and even menstrual cycle. Those on the FEN/PHEN
protocol will be taught how to adjust.
  I am thin.  Can I take FEN/PHEN  for fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a common condition.  It is primarily found in women.  The
sufferers, and they can truly suffer, ache all over.  There are no
spontaneous remissions.   There was no effective treatment until the
FEN/PHEN  protocol came along.

There may be a transient weight loss, then the weight should return to
normal.  While greater than 80 percent of fibromyalgia patients respond with
marked or complete pain resolution, thin fibromyalgia patients occasionally
do not  respond.  We are working urgently on a solution.  There is a hint
that further hormonal adjustment may be effective.

  I have a brother-in-law with Vietnam post traumatic stress disorder and a
son with Persian Gulf Illness.  Do those conditions respond to FEN/PHEN
treatment?
There has been good success with these two nearly identical conditions.  Dr.
Malone's work at the Veterans' Administration hospital in Madison, Wisconsin
has been very encouraging.  A proposal for a Persian Gulf illness study is
actively being reviewed at the Pentagon and a go-ahead signal is expected
soon.

  I suffer from bulimia, an obsessive/compulsive disorder.  Can the FEN/PHEN
protocol help?
Greater than 95 percent of those treated with the FEN/PHEN  protocol
remission of their obsessive/compulsive disorders.  All twenty-three bulimic
women, most of them previous treatment failures, have had total remissions.
These women, previously having to binge-eat and purge at least twice a week,
no longer have to do so.

  Does the FEN/PHEN  help PMS and menstrual cramping?
Very much so. The FEN/PHEN  protocol corrects the underlying deficiency and
imbalance.  All the symptoms associated with the premenstrual
syndrome depression, anxiety, hostility, breast pain and menstrual
cramping can be helped.

  I am always tired.  I think I may have Chronic Fatigue? Can FEN/PHEN  help?
This has been quite effective for Chronic Fatigue.  There is a minority who
don't respond to FEN/PHEN .  However, new advances should take care of them
as well.

  Why do I become so tired in the winter?  Can the FEN/PHEN  help?
In the winter, as the days become shorter, melatonin increases in the retina.
Melatonin is a dopamine antagonist.  It makes the dopamine drop.  This is a
good survival technique for animals. It makes the scarce food last longer.
With FEN/PHEN , you can restore the dopamine without gaining weight, being
depressed, or abusing alcohol or drugs.

  I am on an antidepressant.  Will I need to continue it?
Antidepressants act by increasing dopamine.  This can be done more
effectively by using FEN/PHEN .   The antidepressants are no longer needed.
Resolution of depression usually occurs in sixty to ninety minutes.

  Are there medications I cannot take while I am on the FEN/PHEN  protocol?

Prozac) and certain other antidepressants shouldn't be taken while on the
program.  This should not be a problem since our medications relieve
depression.   Very important: make sure you tell the doctor if you are taking
MAO inhibitors.   MAO inhibitors must be stopped for at least two weeks
before the initiation of FEN/PHEN .

  How long do I have to take the medications?
That also depends on the patient.  Most take the medications indefinitely.

  What medical problems might prevent me from entering the program?
Very few.  Patients with diabetes or high blood pressure can receive
FEN/PHEN .

  Why is a dopamine-increasing medication effective for depression?  I
thought serotonin was what you needed.
Recently researchers have found that depression is a condition brought on by
dopamine scarcity, not serotonin.

  Can my family doctor prescribe these medications?
Yes, and they are being prescribed in many states by doctors unaware of the
FEN/PHEN  protocol. Ohio, Massachusetts, and Utah do not permit their
dispensing, but citizens of those states can go to out-of-state locations.
Currently, citizens of twenty-seven different states are receiving their care
at the Maryland FEN/PHEN  treatment center.

  How often must I visit the FEN/PHEN  doctor?
Personal follow-up visits can be done at six months intervals.  Follow-up
visits can be done by phone in such circumstances.

  My insurance plan will not pay for weight loss.  Is there anything I can do
about that?
Advise your doctor that  obesity, depression, etc. result from
neurotransmitter deficiencies.  Neurotransmitter deficiency (ICDA #333.90) is
an appropriate and legitimate diagnosis

  My doctors wish to learn more about this method of treatment.  What should
they do?
Shortly, other doctors can receive not only FEN/PHEN  protocol training but
also accreditation.  Temporarily, have them contact Dr. Hitzig.  He can
arrange to train a limited number in the Maryland office.

  About Dr. Hitzig
Dr. Hitzig, an internist, had practiced general medicine for twenty years
before he opened his FEN/PHEN  private practice.  A Harvard graduate, he
received his medical training at the College of Physicians &
Surgeons-Columbia in New York City and continued his training at Columbia's
St. Luke's/Roosevelt Medical Center.

Pietr Hitzig, M.D.                                        (410) 560-5733
9515 Deereco Road                               [log in to unmask]
Timonium, MD 21093

January 11, 1996

          )Copyright: Pietr Hitzig 1996, all rights reserved.