GEOCOSMO Home

GEOCOSMO  March 1996

GEOCOSMO March 1996

quick intro

[log in to unmask] (Arjun Heimsath)

Fri, 1 Mar 96 14:09:30 PST

Hello!
        I'm a PhD student working with Bill Dietrich here at UC Berkeley.
I came to the field of hillslope geomorphology with a long term interest in
mountain conservation and understanding hillslope erosion.  I hope to apply
our research to mitigating the latter and promoting the former.  I'm
working on determining the relationship between bedrock conversion to soil
and soil depth on convex hillslopes--the soil production function.  I use
measurements of in-situ produced 26Al and 10Be in the quartz to determine
long-term soil production rates under varying depths of soil from various
field sites.  Our nuclide method is combined with a geomorphology-based
method of measuring soil depth and hillslope curvature with very high
resolution.  We're collaborating with Kuni Nishiizumi and Bob Finkel on the
nuclide work:  I do the chemistry with Kuni, we measure nuclide
concentrations at CAMS, and they have extensive input in our theory
development.
        Short intro, lots of fun, come visit and help dig pits across the
mountain sides, and I look forward to further communication via this list!!

Take care, ENJOY, and have a great weekend...:)

arjun

Arjun M. Heimsath
Department of Geology and Geophysics
301 McCone Hall