GEOCOSMO March 1996

Research interests

Ken Adams <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Mar 1996 10:00:42 -0800 (PST)

TEXT/PLAIN

From: Ken Adams

Hello everyone. I am a Ph.d. student in the Center for Neotectonic Studies
at the University of Nevada, Reno. My dissertation research is concerned
with determining the isostatic rebound of the Lake Lahontan basin in the
northwestern Basin and Range province, due to loading during the last
major lake cycle at about 14 ka. The task of measuring elevations on the
highest shoreline around the Basin has been complicated by the continuing
controversy as to the age or ages of the highest shoreline features. Some
workers believe that the highest shorelines in the southern part of the
Basin date from the penultimate lake cycle (~130 ka) whereas some workers
believe that the highest shoreline features throughout the Basin date from
the last lake cycle. Consequently, we have extended a great deal of
effort towards documenting the age of the highest shoreline features
throughout the Basin. Both relative and numerical age dating techniques
are being employed including soil development, degree of preservation,
surface characteristics, radiocarbon dating, Helium-3 and Chlorine-36
surface exposure dating.
	The cosmogenic dating was "farmed out", therefore I am not
directly involved in the mechanics of the dating but have a great deal of
interest in the techniques and limitations of the various cosmogenic
dating methods. I look forward to keeping abreast of some of the latest
developments in this field through discussions on this listserver.

Ken Adams
Center for Neotectonic Studies
MS 169
University of Nevada Reno