Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  March 1996, Week 3

COMMUNET March 1996, Week 3

Re: L. A. Times column, 3/14/96

Vigdor Schreibman - FINS <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:31:04 -0500 (EST)

TEXT/PLAIN

Gary Chapman's piece, forwarded below, is provocative, in forcasting the
end of the WWW as a place for telecommunications without profit pressures.

Nevertheless, isn't it a we bit premature for a seasoned scholar to be
jumping into the hype of gratuitous forcasts predicting the "death of the
WWW" based merely on the unrealized ambitions of commercial exploitation
of the Net?  Newspapers came on like ganghbusters some time ago, with
ambitions of taking over the Net also, and all that has happened is the
realization that self expression remains the most powerful force liberated
by the Net.

There is no viable business use of the Net that can compare to the latter
dynamic.  Until entrepreneurs adjust their ambitions from that of rip off
artists governed by the primitive morality of the marketplace to
purposeful participants in the holistic realities of cyberspace, this
story is continuing to spawn positive possibilities.

Certainly there remains the threat of business decadence via the
television model of communications bring promoted by many people enlisted
to the task of drowning civilization in hedonism and other mindless
products of McWorld, which Ben Barber has described so well.  Still, the
big story is that the citizens of cyberspace are doing quite well in
resisting this alternative, and we may have the last hurrah despite
pressures to the contrary!

Vigdor Schreibman - FINS <[log in to unmask]>

------------------Forward message------