COMMUNET March 1996, Week 3

Swedish "oscar" candidate

Gail Watt <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Mar 1996 21:30:24 +0100

>Thought there might be list readers interested in Sweden's representant
application text to the 1996 European Village Development Prize awarded by
an renowned organization in Vienna.  Husaa is nominated as the Swedish
representative to the competition by the European Council of Villages and
Small Towns, Swedish Chapter.

>Husaa - the village that refused to die!
>
>Husaa is a small village on the north side of  the Ore Mountain in the
Municipality of
>Ore, Swedish province of Jemtland.
>
>Husaa has 160 permanent residents today.  In the 17-1800's, Husaa
population was  600-800 and was Northern Sweden's largest mining center and
had the Province's largest
>population.  But Husaa's existence was totally dependent on the mining
operations and
>the decisions made by the owning companies.  Without the mines all thought
Husaa's would
>die!
>
>From the mine closings in the late 1800's until the late 1970's Husaa's was
dying, slowly but surely. The elementary school in Husaa, founded before
Sweden had a compulsory school law,  had only  7 pupils in the 1970's.
Today it has 20.  The local
>supermarket was closed during 1970's, but is open again today.
>
>During the 1960-70's there were great hopes for a village revival through
large scale
>tourist projects. For a variety of reasons these were not realized.
Feelings among
>the less than 100 persons remaining in Husaa went up and down. By the end
of the
>1970's,  there was a real pessimism. Those feelings, then, turned to real
positivism
>when the villagers themselves, in cooperation with a few professional actors,
>presented The Husaa's Play for the first time in 1979.
>
>The Play was a huge success.  It gave the villagers the self-confidence to
form a
>cooperative and begin a sustainable tourism development.  The Play made the
population
>aware of the cultural, environmental and social values in their village.
To promote
>these values was, therefore, a self -evident principle for the tourism
cooperative,
>Husaa Lift, when it was formed in 1983.  The village decided that tourism
development
>should take place on their own terms. No more should large companies
located outside
>the village have the decisive voice. Husaa's tourism developments would be:
small
>scale, year 'round,  and in harmony with all the villagers needs and interests,
>ecological and cultural.
>
>Husaa's tourism profile was articulated as:  "The living cultural village,
where guests
>and villagers share Husaa's unique environment and wilderness mountain
nature, which
>invites all to spontaneous and planned activities, making those activities
a natural
>part of our lives.
>
>During the 1980's and 90's, several cooperatives have been formed in the
village in
>addition to the first, Husaa's Lift  - The Husaa Manor House  (now fully
restored and a
>budding cultural center with museum and musical events), a parent
cooperative is
>responsible for the pre-school children's day-care center,  a housing
cooperative with
>6 apartments giving young and old a chance to remain and move into the
village, a saw
>mill cooperative, and a cooperative manages the village's water system.  A
Civic
>Council was formed in 1991 as a coordinating body for the cooperatives and
for other
>questions.
>
>There is a cooperative for managing a restored steam boat that traffics the
Kall Lake,
>just as it did at the turn of the century. The Husaa's Play and the
Accordion/Harmonica
>Music Festival are also managed by cooperatives. Even the local streets are
managed
>via a cooperative.   In Husaa's planning is also the formation of a
cooperative for
>care of the elderly.  This Husaa cooperative development and renewal,
growing out of a
>deep awareness of their cultural and life -style heritage,  is well-known and
>recognized in Sweden, often appearing in the Swedish mass media and academic
>literature on rural development.
>
>In addition to the cooperatives, which generate local employment for  15
persons,
>there are a number of privately owned businesses in the village.  A goat
farm with
>their own cheese production, a bakery, a bus and taxi company, a company for
>manufacturing wood packing, farms for milk and meat production, island
horse stable,
>several forestry companies to name the most important.   All in addition and
>complimentary to tourism activities. New homes have been built, families,
who often
>had their roots in Husaa's, have moved back.  The village is full of life
today.
>Unemployment is lower than in surrounding areas and  tax revenues are on
the increase.

>The Village has taken new technology to help in several ways.  Seven years
ago, there
>were no personal computers in the village, today there are more than 20.  Husaa
>cooperation with the City of Stockholm and regional authorities in a joint
marketing
>effort, has led to presentations of the village and surrounding township on the
>Internet.  The village and township was recently listed as the only Swedish
>representative in the Worldwide Guide To Community-Generated Tourism Projects,
>published by First Nations Health Project. Husaa has recently been accepted for
>membership in the Ecotourism Society, an organization with 1100 members  in 75
>countries representing 35 professional areas surrounding ecotourism
activities in the
>world.
>

>Husaa is indeed one of Sweden's best examples of Village Development and
Renewal. We
>proudly present Husaa for consideration to the 1996 European Village
Development Prize
>Committee.
>
>Husaa - Sweden's candidate to the 1996 European Village
>		Development Prize
>
>Here we want to  give the Prize Committee a more detailed motivation for our
>nomination.
>
>Husaa - the village's environmental and ecological foundation
>
>Environmental concerns have always been in the forefront of Husaa community
>development process since the mid 1980's.  Nature is not an infinite
resource which
>can be exploited without serious consequences for the total environment.
This concern
>is natural for people who live near and with the nature - fish, hunt, carry
on farming
>activities. Forest, lakes, mountain nature and clean air are perhaps the most
>important infrastructure of the township where Husaa is located.  Even the
Municipality of Ore is emphasizing and continually attempting to improve the
ecological thinking and profile of the area.  Environmental and ecological
considerations in all new building, restoration of the old, and planning for
new are given integral parts of the Husaa system.

>Restoration of the Husaa Manor House has been carried out in ecologically and
>culturally correct manner.  The housing cooperative's apartments were also
designed
>and built with both a physical and architectural environment in mind.  Other
>restorations and new building in Husaa have also had a basic ecological
thinking as a
>fundament as well as taking advantage of and using local building traditions.
>
>The City of Stockholm became a new outside cooperation partner in the late
1980's.
>The City built a carefully dimensioned chalet complex with a conference center
>primarily for its employees and the City's international visitors.  Our
contacts with
>City  officials gave evidence that it was the Husaa villagers who demanded
that the
>chalets blend  architecturally and ecologically into the area.  An
architect with
>cooperative development research and community planning-restoration and renewal
>experience was engaged. He was also well-acquainted with the area in
general and Husaa
>in particular.  The building work was carried out to a large extent with
local labor
>and companies to insure a local acceptance and control.
>
>Husaa had been passed over for earlier public water investments in the
township.  The
>City of Stockholm's investment was dimensioned to provide that investment
for the
>villagers, but under their cooperative control.  The water-users quickly
formed a
>cooperative to manage the system.
>

>Husaa - the village's contact with technical, economic and social
development  - an         integration of new development and the cultural
heritage.

>Husaa certainly is not an underdeveloped population or area in any
non-European sense.
>But relative to many parts of Sweden, the Jemtland province is having a
tough time
>economically.
>
>Husaa has been a positive example for fruitful development for many other
villages in
>Jemtland and even other parts of Sweden.  Husaa exchange  with Fermanagh
County in
>Northern Ireland has lead to cross-fertilization of ideas and developments.
That
>exchange has been carefully managed by the Northern Ireland Department of the
>Environment and the Husaa Civic Council.
>
>Husaa  population is well balanced in age distribution, skills and
educational level.
>These basic demographic factors undoubtedly contribute to the vitality of
the village,
>a vitality which was just not present in the 1960-70's.
>
>Certainly the fact that every man, woman, and child in Husaa is thoroughly
>knowledgeable in their village history and its consequences, has been a vital
>contribution to the viability of the village. Self-reliance based on
self-esteem and
>self-confidence stemming from the Husaa Play experience are significant
factors of
>Husaa social development.  These ecosophical qualities in Husaa take on
even more
>significance when we look at the history of the village. The villagers of
the 17-18th
>century  were essentially indentured servants to "the company".  They were
>repressed and oppressed.  And "the company" went bankrupt!  Husaa villagers are
>determined now to take those historic lessons, and steer village
development on their
>terms while being completely open to outside influences and experiences.
>
>Like many rural areas in Sweden, infrastructure investment has gone slowly.
Road and
>transport costs are very high in our climate and the distances are great.
>Telecommunication costs are higher than in Sweden's more metropolitan
areas, although
>optic fiber cable has been laid within 30 km of the village.  We fully
expect that the
>IT structure of the area will change rapidly to the better within the next
five years.
>Husaa is aware and adjusting.  PC courses are popular among villagers of
all ages. More
>and more BBS and Internet connections are being made. The national
government agencies
>have an awareness about the importance of these investments even in rural
villages, so
>while there may be delays in access compared to the larger municipalities,
we are
>confident about the IT-future.
>

>Small villages , and even Husaa, have a very special social development
process. Husaa has had a number of "guiding lights" sometimes called active
initiators. Their importance to the social development of Huså should not be
underestimated. The five
>"M's"  of  rural economic development - materials, manpower, markets,
management, and
>money can not be employed without having those active initiators.  And we
see now that
>several of those active initiators of the 1980's are being complimented by
new Husaa
>"leading lights" of the 1990's.  A shift of generations among 160 villagers
can be
>problematic.  It will not be problematic in Husaa.
>
>In 1995 The Husaa Civic Council started a marketing company,
Husaa-Kallbygden Promotion AB, as a cooperation between the City of
Stockholm, the Provincial government, and about 30 ecotourism producers in
the entire township area.  This company has an office in Stockholm.  Among
its many purposes, this company is to start and expand electronic marketing
of Husåand the rest of the township.

>Husaa-Kallbygden  has its own world wide web pages on the Internet  called
Husaa-
>Kallbygden's 'Views of the World'. (address: http://www.sbbs.se/hp/hkab)  The
>presentation there is typical for Husaa --  look to the outside, be open
for assistance and outside influence, give of ourselves and, in turn,
receive more guests that understand and support  our village.

>Our contact with Husaa's City of Stockholm cooperation partner summed this
up very
>aptly, "We are dealt with as 'full partners' although aware that Huså reserves
>decision making power over their village. Husaa is clear about what we can
do and not
>do.   So long as we  understand that it is they who have the final word,
then the
>"product development" will be positive."
>
>For even additional information about Husaa, we want to refer you to the
attachments in our prize application.