COMMUNET March 1996, Week 3

New Directions for News report

Steve Cisler <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:19:41 -0800

Preparing for 2010: Electronic Communities, Chapel Hill, NC March 4-6, 1996

Steve Cisler, Network Outreach,
Advanced Technology Group
Apple Computer, Inc.

<This report is copyrighted and may not be cached or stored on any
commercial web or gopher or ftp server or BBS without the express
permission of the author.  If you repost this from a listserv or Usenet
group, please let me know where it is destined. Thanks,  Steve Cisler>

New Directions for News is a journalism think tank that has been funded by
the McCormick Foundation to host a series of intensive workshops around
the country where senior newspaper executives could have a crash course in
the new trends in publishing, Internetworking, and the many groups that
will be competing with the city newspapers in the coming years.

I was asked to speak about electronic communities and participate in the
day-long scenario-planning for newspapers in 2010. Luckily, I was the
first speaker in a day packed with 24 different speakers, running back to
back without spoken introductions. We each had about 20 minutes for some
fast talking and a blitz of slides or web screens. I chose to address the
issue of whether geography would matter in the future when so many
electronic communities would thrive around topics and needs as varied as
gender, disease, hobbies, politics, or anything else that might show up in
a Usenet list or database of listservs.  I discussed some of the user
studies that were done at National Capital Freenet in Canada, and the
recent paper by Robert Putnam, "The strange disappearance of civic
America." I skimmed over some successful community systems such as
Tallahassee Free-Net, Taos La Plaza Telecommunity, and the nearby
Charlotte's Web and asked people to talk with me during the breaks and
meals.

Many of the speakers came for their 20 minutes of fame and then left; one
keynote speaker, Hazel Henderson, never showed, but her time was filled
with a long discussion with two middle school students who had started
their own game review/discussion area on Nando.net.  One boy, Blake
Schlukbier is the son of George Schlukbier who came to visit me at Apple
just before he left his job as librarian at the McClatchy newspaper in
Sacramento, California. He headed for NC to help Frank Daniels start Nando
<www.nando.net>, and it has been, by newspaper and web standards a big
success--especially for a regional paper like the Raleigh News and
Observer. The print paper is still successful and has a decent
circulation, but almost all the papers represented at this conference
seemed to be fearful of the many changes on the horizon that are
transforming the face of media since the web reached critical mass in
1994. There were reps. from Hearst, the Christian Science Monitor, the
Dallas Morning News, The St. Petersburg Times, The Record of Hackensack,
NJ; The Salt Lake Tribune (which is offering 30 hours of SLIP/PPP access
to anyone in Utah for $5.95 per month!), and a number of other papers plus
faculty and students of the UNC Journalism school.

The speakers ranged from IBM and Bell South reps. to forecasters and
consultants (some from the journalism field) to people on the front line
of emerging electronic communities such as the Arthritis Foundation, the
BEV Seniors from Blacksburg Electronic Village (VA), the disabled
community that uses Nando.net, Alan Blatecky of MCMC in Research Triangle
Park--where the conference was held; the PR director of an online
gay/lesbian group (Human Rights Campaign); NC Governor's advisor on
technology, the NC Assn. of County Commissioners; and more than a dozen
others over the two and a half day period.

I was not really speaking for the library community, but one of the
parallels between the newspapers and the public libraries (in my own
background) is that both take very seriously their role in preserving
democracy through an informed public and the fact that both are tied in
many ways to the town or region that they serve. However, all the
newspapers are businesses, some extremely profitable, and all very
vulnerable for a number of reasons: readership is steadily declining, even
as the older readers remain very loyal. They all spoke of the "newspaper
habit", something that many young people do not have. One NJ paper
literally found that many professional people who did not read a paper
actually did not have time.

As the speakers took the podium and spoke and then departed I found my
mood shifting, depending on the message or the spin that each gave the
future (how would electronic communities be in 2010?). Some gave me a
headache with their techno-optimism, while others were down to earth in
explaining their seemingly modest achievements. Some of the grand concepts
from faculty and consultants were inspiring, but many of those in the
audience were beginning to question a lot of their own beliefs about the
value of newspapers in the future.

Several students from area schools as well as a high school librarian who
had instituted a number of compelling email pen pal projects provided some
continuity in the late afternoon. The two 12 year old game site webmasters
modestly and articulately explained their views on what pulled in the
users (lots of blood and gore; good reviews, cool graphics) at their  site
<www.nando.et/nandox/gamepage/games.htm> and then Blake admitted he had
written a report on the Telecomms Act of 1996 and had actually read it!  I
suggested that he might explain it to Congress and to us.  Most of the
kids like to read, but read on screen. Editors in the audience kept
plaintively probing them to see how a newspaper might be more palatable
and relevant, but there is clearly a gulf and it does not look like kids
will ever be newspaper readers. My own 14 year old reads several parts of
the daily paper but also spends a lot of time online in discussion areas
and chat rooms, so I guess he is a bit atypical.

The scenario planning took place on day two. Three groups of eight met to
flesh out a benevolent future scenario called "Rain Forest" where the
future economy and online world are fairly robust, and many kinds of
services and experiments flourish in an electronic rain forest atmosphere.
The newspapers were asked to define their role in such a setting. Everyone
and every other organization wer seen to be a potential competitor in an
environment where anyone can theoretically be a publisher. The newspapers
tried to define what core competencies they had to differentiate them from
other information providers. Some of the ones mentioned in our group:
-ability to tell a story
-meet deadlines day in, day out
-maintain a
network of connections in a community
-provide continuity with archived material from past publications.

A number of those present said the big challenge is to convince their
colleagues to try and change, because everyone agreed that the newspaper
culture was fairly conservative. They also cited the lack of much R&D as a
problem in the future.

New Directions for News  has an interesting web page with lots of
information on this and previous roundtables.
<www.missouri.edu/~ndnwww>