SKIVT-L April 1996

Jackjumping!

Wesley Alan Wright <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Apr 1996 14:40:45 -0500

The following report was broadcast on WCAX news last night. Text found at
their www site at:

        http://www.wcax.com/

- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -  - -

jackjump

Ski season is winding down but it's never too late to give a new winter
sport a try. Take one ski, put a seat on it and you've got yourself a
jackjumper.

When it comes to jackjumping, even how you get off the chairlift is new and
different. (Nat of getting off lift) this downhill, one-ski, high-speed
ride has been around since the 1800's. (Mark:it started in the old farm
days. People were bored. They made them out of wood. Kids would go ride
them.) (Nat of riders) (mike:this is definitely one sport where they don't
long for the good old days. As recently as 1969, this is what they used as
a jackjumper. Just sit on it and it's obvious they couldn't have been very
comfortable.) (Henry:today for me to ride the old one would be tough. The
newer models are closer to the ground and give you lots of speed and fun.)
Henry has built more than fifty jackjumpers over the years. He made his
first when he was just ten years old. These days, he gives them to many of
his friends as presents. Mark shattuck is a welder by trade. He built some
special cushioning into the seat of his jackjumper for extra comfort.
(Marc: i telemark ski. I wish i could do that as well as i jackjump. You
can turn real easy. You have to work when you're skiing.) The biggest
challenge for jackjumpers is finding a place to ski. The only mountains in
vermont that allow the sport are bolton valley, jay peak and once a year at
haystack. (Mark:it's funner than skiing. I gave it up 10 years ago. Now i
just jackjump.) (Henry:i have lots of friends who think i'm nuts. Anyone
who comes to try it loves it.) His friends may be right. When given a
chance, daring jackjumpers will even give pondskimming a try. (Nat of
pondskimming) jackjumping isn't any more dangerous or expensive than
downhill skiing. It just takes a little more of that gungho spirit to give
it a try. Just ask a jackjumper.

Mike Perlow, channel 3 sports, in bolton valley.

| Wesley Alan Wright <[log in to unmask]>; http://mole.uvm.edu/~waw/|
| Academic Computing Services   *   __0__  *        *                  |
| Room 238 Waterman Building       / \ | \     *        *              |
| University of Vermont          *   \77   http://mole.uvm.edu/skivt-l |
| Burlington, Vermont 05405-0160      \\         *

| U.S.A. Voice: (802) 656-1254      *  vv      *                       |
|        FAX:   (802) 656-8148 This message copyright 1996 WAW & UVM   |

From VUN-der-ski Thu Apr  4 15:37:23 1996
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 15:37:22 -0500 (EST)
From: "Wunderski <VUN-der-ski>" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Jackjumping!

> jackjumper.
>
> challenge for jackjumpers is finding a place to ski. The only mountains in
> vermont that allow the sport are bolton valley, jay peak and once a year at
> haystack. (Mark:it's funner than skiing. I gave it up 10 years ago. Now i
> just jackjump.) (Henry:i have lots of friends who think i'm nuts. Anyone
> who comes to try it loves it.) His friends may be right. When given a
> chance, daring jackjumpers will even give pondskimming a try. (Nat of
> pondskimming) jackjumping isn't any more dangerous or expensive than
> downhill skiing. It just takes a little more of that gungho spirit to give
> it a try. Just ask a jackjumper.

Old Bro will probably fill in the details but:

When I was little (very little) our family lived in Northern Michigan
(Petosky/Gaylord area circa 1965-77) and winter sports where huge.  Skiing
was tough
(but existed on small local hills: Nubs Knob, Sylvan Knob, and Boyne)
but sledding and speed skating where
huge.  Hockey was as well but all that equipment cost alot of money...

Anyway, there was this sled type thing called "the Petosky Stumpjumper"
that consisted of a seat a two-by-four strut going down to a wood runner
that often had a metal strip tacked to the bottom.  I remember my
older brother and the neighbors (the Zimickly's, Krewsky's) screaming
down through the hills out in the farms on those things.  They could
really fly through the trees and all.  You sat on the seat, balanced and
kept your legs out in front of you and turned by leaning.  You hung on to
the sides of the seat.  We still have ours and as I got
older my friends and I used to fly down the hills in Alleghany State Park
in western NY on the stumpjumper and a thing called a Snurfer.

The snurfer was a wooden wide single ski, had a bit of a fin on the
bottom,bit of a v shape (although slight)  grips on the top so
your boots wouldn't slip and a rope on the front that you held onto as
you flew down the hill.  This had to be the early predesessor of the
snowboard that ole Jake Burton "invented".  I remember that one of the
hills was always packed from skiers and sledders but the hill to skiers
left was always untracked and perfect for the snurfer.  Hardpack was
tough on that thing, but powder was dream-like.

BTW, Alleghany State Park was the site of two ski hills accessed by a rope
tow untill about 1979, when they stopped running the tow.  It was free
and run by the state.  We used it for sledding and tubing (stumpjumpin'
and snurfin' as well) for a long time after that.  They also had two ski
jumps that my father used to jump on using barrel staves and bindings
made out of leather and old inner-tubes.  It was near the Red House area
and was abandoned way before my time.  I wasn't really sure about it
'til Annie Widger (junior olympic skier-fame) and I hiked and found the
jumps right where dad said they were.  With minimal clearing they were
ready for testing...we had a blast.

Come to think of it... Sylvan Knob near Gaylord (or was it Nubs knob?)
also had a real jump built into one of the hills as well.  Then there was
the one that was originally in Stowe...  ahhh, life before insurance
companies... No wonder we don't have any jumpers to speak of in the
Olympics any more... Ironic that SMR is owned by an insurance company...

Matt "those were the dayze" Swartz