SKIVT-L April 1996

Jay Peak report 3/30/96

[log in to unmask] (Marc Guido)

Mon, 01 Apr 1996 14:42:28 -0500

Better late than never, eh?

Saturday was a beautiful, sunny day with temps hovering a bit above freezing
and light breezes.  Cover remains ample, and the snow was quite hard thanks
to the recent daily freeze/thaw cycles and a sun not quite up to softening
surfaces the way I'd like.  Green Beret, The Face and Tuckerman's were the
only things closed, but that was due to the consistency of the snow, not the
lack of it.  These will reopen once surfaces soften a bit.

Trail check was on Expo Glade/Flash/Interstate.  Upper Goat Run down from
the red chair was perfectly groomed loose granular corduroy, but the bumps
in Expo were firm, edgable, and chunky.  Flash and Interstate were identical
to upper Goat.

I hopped on the tram, and joined candidate Caroline and new patroller James
in a mach 3 cruise down Vermonter.  We figured surfaces would be starting to
soften there due to the southeastern exposure, and we were right on target.
Down Purgatory and Angel's Wiggle to the red chair, and back up.  We
calculated that the snow surfaces on Goat would be similar to those on
Vermonter, and we were right, and enjoyed wide-open turns until we got to
the Buck's Ridge corner where I spotted a pair of poles in the middle of the
trail, with no owner in sight.  "This doesn't quite look right," I thought
to myself, and went over to the edge of the bank, to find "Teddy", a boy
from Massachusetts about 13 years old, well down over the edge with his
lower back and right knee up against two trees.  He simply lost it on the
turn, and went down over the edge.  I radioed for a toboggan and assistance,
and began my patient survey.

Teddy proved to be my most challenging patient of the year, simply due to
his position.  His attitude remained calm throughout, and he complained of
tenderness on palpation of his lumbar region.  We splinted the right leg and
transferred him to a backboard, no mean feat the way he was wrapped around
the trees.  We had to belay the backboard back up to the top of the bank,
where we transferred him to the toboggan and I skied him down to the waiting
ambulance.  All in all, it was a difficult and a time-consuming operation.
The kid's probably lucky that it was his back and knee, and not his head,
that collided with the trees.  My best wishes go out to him and his family,
and I'm optimistic that everything is OK.

I had brought Tuckerman with me today, and left him in the car for the first
part of the day.  After Teddy left I noticed that there was some open grass
on the east side of the patrol building, so I fashioned a tether out of some
rope and brought him out of the car.  After determining that this would
likely suffice, I headed back up the red chair and down Liftline from the
very top.  The bumps were already starting to corn up nicely, and they were
preparing to start the annual Mogul Contest on Can Am.  Middle and Lower
Liftline had some stumps and thin spots starting to show, but nothing that
could not be easily avoided. The next run was back up the red and into the
old Upper Milk Run, figuring that these bumps would be softening as well due
to similar exposure, but this was wrong, wrong, wrong.  I traversed across
Taxi and into lower Powerline right as I got a call from Peter on my radio,
telling me that Tuck had chewed through his leash and was playing with the
kids outside of the Ski Club.  I went down, and re-tied his leash.

Up the blue and down Derrick, which was firm but edgable, a really nice
ride, then in for lunch.  Tuck was quite the hit with the customers outside
of the State Chalet on the sun deck.  I then took another run on Derrick and
prepared for my sit, when Patrol Leaded Jon Anderson called me on the radio
again to tell me, "You'll have to come down here to quiet down and re-tie
your 'significant other.'"  Needless to say, this radio call generated a few
smiles among the employees! :-)  He had again chewed himself free, and was
crying outside the door of the patrol room.  Back to the car for him!  I
went via Jet, which was very hard and not so edgable.  OK, it was icy.

Sit atop the blue was wonderful.  1:15-2:30 basking in the sun of our
south-facing summit sun deck.  Mary-Ellen stopped by and suggested that I
join her and her friends Christian, Marc and Justin (Noah's brother - you
just met him today on the list) down on the State Chalet deck, and at 3:00
we all headed up the red.  Mary-Ellen, Justin, Martin and I dropped into the
Upper Quai, which was still hard as a rock, and then buzzed up the green
chair to hit Exhibition before sweep.  Ex was also hard as a rock, but
edgable, and the bumps were of a pleasant size and shape.

For sweep, I switched with Kathy Filkins, and Mary-Ellen accompanied me down
Powerline (now only skiable on the right half, as is often the case) and
Bonnie Glade.

Now, I've got to prepare for a more difficult situation.  On Saturday I
noticed that Tuckerman was favoring his right rear leg, and I immediately
feared the worst: hip dysplasia.  I took him to the vet this morning, and I
just got the word: both hips are completely out of the sockets.  I've got to
sign off now, to discuss with the vet a very difficult decision.  Wish us luck.

Marc Guido                  Jay Peak Ski Patrol
Burlington, VT

First Tracks!!, an online ski magazine:
http://www.rpi.edu/~guidom/FirstTracks.html

Adirondack Boardsailing Club: