]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  April 1996

SKIVT-L April 1996

Le Massif report - April 6, 1996 (LONG!!!!)

Marc Guido <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 09 Apr 1996 23:29:03 -0400

Patricia and I drove up to Quebec City to see her family for the Easter holiday.  Those
of you who read my post on Mont Sainte-Anne from last month know that I've been itching
to get up to Le Massif de Petite-Riviere-Saint-Francois, and this seemed like the
perfect opportunity.

Traveling from Montreal on Friday night, we hit light to moderate wet snow beginning in
Drummondville.  By the time we arrived in Charlesbourg, a suburb of Quebec, there was
a slushy accumulation on the grassy surfaces of about an inch, and a film of slush on
the roads.  I wanted to set my alarm for an early wake-up, but Pate begged me to sleep
in for a bit in the morning.  I couldn't refuse.

Thank God for Rene.  He understood my desire to get going in the morning.  Enter Rene's
"accidental" elbow-slam of the wall directly opposite my head at about 7:15.  Rene,
you're a good man!  To this day, he still denies that he did it.

I managed to hit the road at around 8:00.  I sped past the schlock lining Route 138
between Quebec and Saint-Anne-de-Beaupre (home to Mont Sainte-Anne), and began the long
climb up to the top of the plateau.  The road eventually reaches an altitude of between
2000 and 2500 feet, and up here the weather was a world apart.  There was a ton of snow
on the ground, and a good 4" fell the night before.  The road conditions deteriorated
considerably, but I was a man with a mission, and the speedo on the dash never dipped
below 70 mph.  I encountered my first bit of traffic right as I reached the road which
heads south toward the St. Lawrence and Petite-Riviere-Saint-Francois.

Here, the road drops in a dramatic fashion for that 2000 feet, down a 15% grade and
through hairpin turns to the river's edge, where you encounter the village.  This is the
only way into or out of the ski area and Petite-Riviere-Saint-Francois, and I don't
think I'd like to see what it looks like when everyone leaves during a heavy afternoon
snowstorm.  I can certainly see how one could get stuck there for a day or two.  The
village is about as completely unassuming as you can get - a church, a depanneur, a
garage, a school, and a few simple houses.  All through the village, residents were
emptying the sap from buckets attached to taps in the maple trees, and steam arose from
many a cabane au sucre.  The ski area is so unassuming, there's even one right next to
the driveway as you head for the parking lot.

The small parking lot closest to the base lodge was filling fast.  I arrived at 9:00,
exactly 1 hour after leaving Charlesbourg.  I had the only American license plate, and
except for two from Ontario and one from Alberta, all I saw was Quebec.  I quickly
hoofed up to the immaculate and brand-new base lodge and bought a lift ticket.

Let me first attempt to describe the layout a bit.  Remember the high plateau I was
driving on Route 138?  The summit - or summits - of the ski area are higher points along
that plateau.  When you're driving on 138, you don't see anything worth skiing, because
you're very near to the summit elevation of the ski area.  What you're skiing on is the
broad pitch which descends from the top of the plateau down to the edge of the St.
Lawrence, which is about 17 miles wide right here as it heads into the Gulf of St.
Lawrence.  Total vertical drop is 2541 feet.  You're due north of Maine by about 150
miles or so.

Up until two or three years ago, Le Massif had no lifts.  The ski area was limited to
around 400 guests a day, and you skied in a small group with a guide, and school buses
transported you back to the summit.  The unusual geography made this a simple, yet
laborious task.  Now a brand-new ski area has been developed, with a Dopplemayr
detachable high-speed quad chair, and a Dopplemayr double chair.  Of course, all base
facilities are brand-new, and consist of a large day lodge with an immense pub, a tiny
rental/repair/ski shop, and a third building to house ticket sales and the
administration.  No on-slope lodging here!  (Almost nothing in the village, either.)

There is very little of the ski area visible from the base.  The detachable quad loads
directly in front of the lodge, and climbs 2211 vertical feet.  I don't know the length
of the lift, but it's got 28 towers, and I'm sure glad that they made it a detachable!
This reaches the summit ridge midway between two prominences: Cap Maillard to skiers'
left, and Grande-Pointe to skiers' right.  Grande-Pointe is slightly higher than the top
of the quad, and the double chair serves a small network of intermediate and advanced
trails in its own bowl on that side, with a vertical drop of 990 feet.  There is no
snowmaking on this side.  There is a narrow spine located midway between the quad and
the double, and a trail named La Petite Riviere descends along the top of this spine,
with trails falling away to either side: to skiers' left toward the double or to skiers'
right toward the quad.  La Petite Riviere was clearly intended to be a lift line, for
beyond its end is the overgrown bottom of this lift line, leading right down to the
paved road where the entrance to the ski area access road exists.  If it's ever
installed, this lift will add 100-200 feet of vertical to the ski area.

Cap Maillard is about a mile down the ridgeline from the summit of the quad, and only
one trail descends its steep face: La 42.  It's a heck of a schlog over to that run, but
as you'll soon discover, it's well worth the effort.  The bowl which separates La 42
from the detachable quad is a natural, and promises some interesting development in the
future.  At the moment, La 42 is the only trail to skiers' right of the quad.

Le Massif was destined to be the home of the Downhill and Super-G events if Quebec won
the bid for the 2002 Winter Olympics.  The alpine courses were to be cut on Cap
Maillard, to skiers' right of La 42.

I rode up the quad with a young woman from Montreal.  She hadn't skied here since the
lifts were installed, and like me drove up to Quebec the night before.  My eyes darted
left and right as we spoke, scoping out the terrain and assessing the woods skiing
possibilities.  I was dismayed to see a considerable amount of secondary-type growth,
rendering very little if any of the wooded terrain skiable thanks to the low elevations.
 My heart was bouyed, however, by what I saw under the chair itself: an inviting run
which dipped and fell like stairs, with some interesting ledges peppering it here and
there.  Disappointed to learn that it was not deemed a trail - for the life of me I
don't know why - I decided to save it for the last run, lest I get caught and lose my
ticket. It was still snowing moderately as we reached the summit.

The new snow was very heavy at the base, and considerably lighter at the top of the
quad.  I decided that it would be therefore best to remain at a higher elevation for the
first few runs, so I took an intermediate cruiser down La Desjardins to the base of the
double, and up that chair.  La Bouchard, the advanced run under the chair, had been
lightly groomed to skiers' right, and moguled under the chair.  There were few tracks
yet in the bumps, so I returned to the double via La Bouchard, enjoying the soft fresh
snow underfoot.  Although it was rated with a black diamond, La Bouchard wasn't any
steeper than many of the intermediate runs that I frequent.

My second run was on La Tremblay, also off the double and the run which was furthest to
skiers' left at the resort.  This was totally bumped, with that soft, round, rhythmic
variety of moguls.  This was the only type of bump to be found all day, and it was a
joy.

At the top of La Tremblay I spotted what I had been looking for: tracks leading off into
the trees on skiers' right.  Conversations on the chair convinced me that as in the rest
of the province, tree skiing is very much frowned upon, but I couldn't control myself. I
dropped in and found a slightly clearer section of young birch and conifer.
Unfortunately, the line tightened up after a couple of hundred vertical feet, and I was
forced to traverse back to La Tremblay.

After a couple of bump runs it was time to ski a cruiser on La Lavoie, the only
remaining trail off of the double.  It hadn't been groomed after the new snow, and the
freshies on top of a flat base were a delight.

Riding back up the double with a patroller, I confirmed that tree skiing was not
permitted.  I hoped that he wouldn't notice the bark marks on my pants!  I saw some
other interesting lines to skiers' left of La Bouchard, but it was within sight of the
chair and only 10:00, so I wasn't anxious to lose my ticket yet.

On the way up the chair I asked the patroller if I could reach La 42 from here, way on
the opposite side of the ski area.  After I learned that I could, I asked about the
conditions.  He looked at me carefully and advised, "It isn't maintained..."
"Terrific," I smiled and began to skate in that direction.

And skate.  And skate.  A novice run named La Grande-Pointe leads from the top of the
double down the short distance to the top of the quad (and past a snowboard terrain
park), but that's where the real effort begins.  In my rudimentary French I read the
hand-written sign which advised of the natural conditions, and cautioned that it's a
15-20 minute traverse to reach the top of the trail.  Few had gone before me this
morning, and the heavy wet snow made it an extra workout to reach La 42.  Ten minutes
later, however, I reached the tiny abandoned patrol shack at the top of the trail, and
dove in.  En route I noted several old tracks entering the traverse from the right -
uphill! - and concluded that some folks still find a way to drive to the summit.

Those of you who like terrain like that at Castlerock and Mad River would love this run.
 It begins innocuously enough, with large, round bumps descending a moderately steep
pitch.  The trail then splits around a treed island, and the fun begins.  Ledges.
Stumps.  Boulders.  Double fall lines.  It didn't look like it had been brushed out in
several years, and at times the brush grew through the snow to ankle-grabbing
proportions.  I passed only one other party of two during my descent, which for this
trail is a full 2079 feet!  The trail never lets up at all, from top to bottom - no
runouts here.  As I got down low the snow changed dramatically, becoming heavy, wet and
slushy.  One low-elevation ledge was devoid of snow, requiring a momentary diversion
into the heavy woods alongside the trail.  About midway down I dropped below the cloud
ceiling, and for the first time the full spendor of the St. Lawrence was visible to me.
 It was low tide, and the stunning sight of the trail leading down to the riverbank gave
one the sensation of skiing right to the edge of the sea.  It was a sensation to be
repeated over and over again all day.

By the time I reached the lower elevation at the base the light snow had turned to light
mist.  After the short walk in the heavy slush from the bottom of La 42 back to the base
area, I decided that it was time to take a break.  It was now nearly 11:00.

I entered the cafeteria line expecting the usual: rubber hamburgers and cold french
fries.  What greeted my eyes, however, was the best ski area food I've ever seen outside
of Europe.  The Charlevoix region is known for its cuisine, and the ski area was no
exception.  I watched two chefs in the traditional white attire preparing one of the two
choices for the menu du jour: fresh pork chops broiled on an open flame grill, dusted
with Bernaise sauce.  The second choice was fresh basil fusilli, served with cubed ham
and topped with a tomato sauce rich with diced red and green peppers and onion.  Either
was served with a homemade cream of carrot soup, a home-baked crusty french roll and
butter, and a small soda for $7.50 CDN ($5.00 US).  I selected the fusilli, and took my
plate into the pub area, a large room with cathedral ceilings and floor-to-ceiling
windows all around, a large fireplace with leather sofas, and an attractive bar.  The
music playing was an eclectic mix of jazz, latin and French music.  I enjoyed it so much
that I took the rare leisurely lunch while skiing, sampling some of the "La 42" draft
after my meal before walking down to the ski shop to buy a shirt and a poster.

OK, time to get back to work.  It was still misting as a boarded the quad, but once you
gained 100-200 feet of elevation it turned back to snow.  Damn, that line under the
chair still looked terrific!!  I skied La Richard, an easy black diamond that led back
close to the chair so that I could spot entrances for later.  La Richard had small
moguls throughout, and after it crosses under the chair it becomes L'Anguille, an even
gentler black diamond that by now housed cut-up heavy crud as it ran parallel and close
to the quad back to the base.  Back up to the summit, and along the spine down La Petite
Riviere to my second left turn, down La Martine.  This was rated black diamond, but was
in reality an advanced intermediate run, which twisted down the fall line around an
island of woods or two.  This too had cut up crud, but as it was higher on the hill the
snow was delightfully lighter.  I encountered no one else on this run.

La Martine ends on La Combe, the novice run which leads from the bottom of the double
chair back to the base of the quad.  As you near the quad, you can elect to ski La
Cabaret, a short, steep, heavily moguled run which deposits you back at the base.  This
was a blast in the slushy spring snow, and I returned here often.

Back up the quad, and down to my second left off of La Petite Riviere: La Prairie, an
intermediate run with the same snow as La Martine.  Of course I hit La Cabaret again
before boarding the quad again and skiing the entire length of La Petite Riviere this
time, again finishing on La Cabaret.  Despite its straight line, La Petite Riviere was a
pleasant trip in the soft fresh snow, and the run has a dip or two to keep things
interesting.

Back up the quad, this time it was time to turn right off of La Petite Rivere.  Past La
Richard to the second right, down La Gagnon.  This turned out to be one of the best
mogul runs at the place, with absolutely perfect bumps down a moderate pitch.  As you
near the quad you have a choice to continue down to L'Anguille, or to traverse parallel
to the chair for a moment where you reach either La Pointue or La Pioche, and the most
stunning view of the river below that I saw all day. La Pointue is one diamond on the
trail map and two on the trail sign, and after a short and very steep pitch it mellows
into gentle moguls back to La Combe.  I hit La Cabaret again before heading back up the
quad, back down La Gagnon and down La Pioche, which had bumps almost identical to those
on La Gagnon.  La Pioche gets my vote as the second favorite trail of the day.

OK, it was now 1:45, and I'd skied every trail in the place.  My legs were totally shot,
and I knew that I'd be lucky to be able to walk in the morning.  Time to hit that quad
line before I left.  I ducked in off of L'Anguille, and while it was delightful at
first, as I got lower the snow became very wet and heavy, to the point that it was
difficult to keep my forward momentum in the unskied snow.  I gave up before reaching
the base, traversing back out to L'Anguille and down to the base lodge.

In summary, I absolutely fell in love with the place.  The terrain, the snow, the
scenery, the facilities and the food will keep me coming back here again and again, even
if the lack of skiable acreage requires skiing the same trails repeatedly.  This
place will really be something if they build it out a bit.  Despite the holiday weekend,
I didn't have any kind of a liftline all day, even at peak periods at the base I skied
right onto a chair.  Alas, if I've given you the urge to ski Le Massif, you'll have to
wait until next season.  This was their last weekend of operation for the year, despite
the fact that 100% of the terrain was open and well-covered.