]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  April 1996, Week 3

COMMUNET April 1996, Week 3

Reston, Va., meeting about community nets

[log in to unmask] (Steve Snow)

Sun, 14 Apr 1996 08:22:00 -0400 (EDT)

Folks,

Please excuse this incredibly long posting. This is Steve Snow, project
director for Charlotte's Web and I have been talking in recent months
about the need for a larger body to help us all do what we do.

Here, finally, are the crudely edited results of the gathering in Reston
to talk about creating a framework for community networking, aka, Public
Interest Networking.

I say crudely edited because I am getting to them late for a lot of complex
reasons. Nonetheless, the conversation there was fruitful, intense and ended
with strong concensus on many things. They both inform and augment the
discussions that have been going on here.

I need to acknowledge especially Mario Morino for his gracious
willingness to host the discussion and also Laura Breeden, whose
facilitating skills were wonderfully employed throughout the day.

As much as I can, in a precis sort of way, I will try to take you through
the day.

The purpose of the gathering was to bring together practitioners --
doers, people who were developing projects -- to talk about the future of
public interest networking, and to try to come up with a framework that
could advance and clarify the need for a national/international
organization to support "public interest networking". We defined that
term broadly: it included such things as community networks, learning
centers, youth computer clubs, public-access cable.

As background to all of this: I posted a note to communet and freenet-admin
about four months ago with a very rough outline of an idea I had for an
association of community networks. As I see the telecom reform act
unfolding, I see great opportunity and great danger for networking. My
initial thought was to provide a coordinating body to help synthesize
information and coordinate support for developing networking projects.

So at the invitation of Mario Morino, I asked a handful of people to get
together to see what we might come up with. The long posting that follows
is the result of that meeting. If further questions present themselves,
please just ask. There is no hidden agenda here, no ultimate plan in
place and a desire for openness.

All this activity has spawned a great deal of discussion -- which I think
is all to the good. There is now a
mailing list of, oh, perhaps two dozen people, self-selected to be sure,
but serious and interested persons discussing this and many other ideas
in great earnestness. There is somewhat of a "march toward Jordan", with
the Taos conference being Jordan in this case. I don't know that
achievement will be either specific enough or focused enough from the
meetings there, but the important thing is that people are talking and
there is movement in positive directions. It could help advance
networking or it could be a non-factor; I don't think any of the
conversation will hurt anything (unless -- I just thought of this -- all
the talk ends up actually derailing or slowing down real progress).

Why a small, separate list? Well, since I didn't set it up, I can only
surmise. I think the reasoning is pretty straightforward, though: to have a
more focused discussion, you need to be able to get away from the blare of the
crowds. This is not meant, I don't think, to exclude people, but rather
to give intensely interested people another chance to talk about things.
Kind of like a private chat room, I would guess.

Anyway, I have tried to set the stage for this and give it some context.
My sister wrote and told me there are copies of this floating around and
they lacked context. I hope this helps some, and I am happy to answer any
question anyone has.

I am sure I am leaving things out.

Our opening theme, as described by Laura Breeden:

A Common Horizon

Then we began focusing on this question:

What is "it"? What are we all trying to do? In a sense, what goes into
describing what constitutes the mission/vision for electronic
networking?

Here are some things we settled on.

* modeling social benefits of nets
* a tool box of technology solutions
* to promote electronic networks in ways that enrich individuals, =
enhance organizations locally, & build global communities
* to facilitate interaction among people in communities who don't =
normally interact on regular basis - in "virtual" more neutral space =
with common denominators of words
* bring "haves" & "have nots" together
* a community of networks
* people need support to achieve what they want to do - does technology =
help or hurt?
* technology has to be relevant to people's lives
* access to both formal & informal information (chat groups)
* people form self image this way - validation
* we look at human & economic needs - not just technology
* take technology for granted - it's transparent - the issue is =
connecting people in new ways to enhance communities & lives.  Both to =
create & to access information
* the immediate problem is getting people connected - both leaders & =
have nots
* leading edge catalyst organizations have to continue to evolve=20
	Task is to keep the community moving forward
* Community networks are conveners
* What's the tent?  Who's in it?  What's the agenda?
* "Structured chaos" is the goal (a medium for communication in the =
issue)
* what are the core competencies of the medium?
* we are victims of potentiality - hard to explain the benefits.  Saw =
this in work with disabled individuals - have to create something for =
them that solves a real (urgent) problem.
* Brainerd Environmental Network - will support broad set of services =
for environmentalists
* we crystalize need & interpret for user communities
* need broad view of beneficiaries/stakeholders
* resources have to be strategically invested
* benefit in your community as a result of the medium - social & =
economic benefits of communication.

We have quite an ambitious agenda, don't we? Most likely, many of the
kinds of networks either in place or envisioned encompass many of these
traits. But beyond these traits, we also discussed benefits. What are
the actual benefits of what we do? Here are some answers:

Benefits
* reduce isolation
* promote social value by enabling people to contribute & share
* creating/contributing information
* enabling people to connect
* individual empowerment
* self-directed learning
* generalizing new resources
* promoting collaboration
* improving visibility/marketing
* enabling people to help & be helped
* efficient & economical dissemination of information
* use medium for community problem solving
* the "ad hocracy" to solve problems.  Fluid, self-convening groups.
* Clearinghouse for volunteer activities
* breaking down stereotypes & barriers
* advertising (Montana cows!) [ Cynthia Denton described a strong advertising
	value for cattle breeders in Montana using electronic networking]
* flexibility
* advocacy for social change
* visibility & inclusion at the table.  A voice & a platform.
* meritocracy - worth is perceived as related to information/work on =
networks
* problem solving is facilitated (breaks down space/time barriers)

The great and grand missions, even with these obvious benefits, can go
nowhere if networking isn't sustained and developed. As we all know far
too well, sustainability is the soft underbelly of the community-level
development of this new medium. It is a key everyone seemed to feel
required extensive attention, care and action.

The group's thoughts on this issue:

What is sustainability?

* getting users to pay
* getting funders to pay
* using volunteers & donated goods& services (non-cash economy, e.g. =
time dollars) [Ken Komoski of LINCT was eloquent speaking about the
pragmatism of this model and the current success it enjoys. It is a model
that will bear closer scrutiny, most likely not as a single solution, but
as part of a larger matrix of solutions]

* garnering resources (labor, knowledge, goods, services) on an on-going =
basis to support your activities.

As we struggled throughout the day to stay on the mountaintop, we began
to congeal a kind of mission statement that pretty clearly defined the
broad sqath of thinking that had gone on during the day. Laura suggested
that a linchpin in this could well be that this is a unique moment in
history and the challenge for us will be to do the right thing. As we
discussed, these thoughts, and finally, a statement, emerged:

What are we about?
*Unique moment in history
*Connecting people in new ways for public problem solving
*Organizing change-agents

*Advance the public interest in the midst of a communication revolution =
by promoting networked communication for community building , nonprofit =
advancement, and individual opportunity.

As agents of change, we went through a Delphic prioritizing process, with
each person receiving 10 votes total to *spend* on the list of key needs
we had outlined. The top issues were, in descending order:

--Marketing/raising awareness
--Sustainability
--Provide a clearinghouse function

Here's the full list of needs and the vote compilation:

What are key needs of the change agents?
*Sustainability	13
*How to expand the understanding of the net	4
*Marketing/raising awareness	15
*Articulate what telecommunications is	1
*Strategies/Practical action plans	4
*Hands-on experience of the medium for the uninitiated	3
*Deep thinking about what this means and how to integrate into larger =
strategies	8
*Theory plus process plus implementation
*Ensuring that there is a continuum of services available3
*More convenience... marketing modules	2
*Understanding the real costs associated with the new medium	3
*Collecting modules, formats, curricula, examples:  an information =
clearinghouse	13
*Tools for advocating at the local and state level  (on telecom policy, =
for example) 7
*Linking into national policy agenda where useful	3
*Realistic evaluative and assessment tools, models, reports that we can =
use to improve our outcomes	3
*Provide a national voice	6
*Get the ones in the community who ought to be involved, involved =
(community organizing)	3
*Politics of partnerships	8
*Staying current on technology	1
*Economic development (linked to sustainability in the community)		3
*Setting up and using your board (board development) [include those =
pillars of your community]	3
*Software development to make these tools a reality 	2
*Voluntary organizations are the social safety net of the community	1

>From this -- it is now 4 p.m., you see, and a lot of discussion had taken
place -- we drilled in and began mapping out a path to start out on. We
called this:

Next steps

1. Document and publicize results of this meeting, and call for expanded =
participation

	Some of this has been done. Frank has been a very
	effective voice in getting the word out in lieu of
	my being able to do the same.

2. Collect best models (sustainability), awareness techniques, =
clearinghouse possibilities by Taos meeting, have this information =
on-line and available

	Again, Frank is the man of the hour. His Big Sky site
	has already begun the work of creating just such a
	collection.

3. Convene interest group at Taos and discuss topics similar to today's, =
for consensus/expansion (need specifics and a point of view to encourage =
action)

	This item has a life of its own and this will be
	happening on May 14.

	The following were some action items people felt strongly
	need to flow from either the Virginia group or Taos. Given
	the time constraints, the Taos gatherings could most likely
	provide better impetus for follow-through on these:

Draft schedule for development of mission statement and business plan, =
including:
		Mission statement
		Goals
		Priority action areas
		Draft action plans
		Ongoing organization development
		Staffing and budget requirements

Individual contributions:

Frank Odasz - Big Sky URL collection
Steve Snow - disk space, email list, moderator for discussion
Anne McFarland - organizing information; "quality* control
Terry Grunwald - assessment instruments
Mario & Team - PAND directory, community network research document; =
encourage Proixma to provide a no-cost license for use of Podium on the =
website
Cynthia Denton - K-12 coordination in community
Barb Englund/Cythia Mulit - sustainability/marketing
Ken Komoski - sustainability, K-12
Laura Breeden - document the day/facilitation

	The Morino Institute will be considering proposals from
	Frank and me regarding longer term support and development
	of both the clearinghouse and the PAN Directory; also MI
	will contract with Kaye Gapen to help provide some sharp-eyed
	focus and coherence to the site and to help develop some
	collateral materials for the site [e.g., Ken Komoski's K-12
	research report was one possible example].

The conclusions, in all, are similar to where others have been thinking,
talking and acting.

The people from this group will be joining the cnet group on the list
to see where things can go next.

I apologize for the length of the posting. I hope people take time to
read through it and mull things over.

If there is one word I would use to summarize the whole day, this whole
discussion and the whole need for each individual to consider, it is
this:
		authenticity

If we are to make an effort to move beyond traditional organizational
designs, we must work doubly hard to seek the truly authentic new structure.
I do not know this for certain, but I strongly suspect, it will have elements
of several ideas; no single idea or vision will dominate if we seek a
true and authentic organizational expression.

As Eliot wrote, "Between the idea and the reality, falls the shadow.
Between the act and the motion, falls the shadow."

If we are serious about making an impact, then we must beware the shadow.
That shadow may be personal ego, it may be fear of failure, it may be the
desire to control or the desire to follow.

Laura is right, I believe: this is a unique moment in history. We stand
at the door of a new medium; it is a Model T and we hold the hand-cranks.
What the medium becomes -- who it serves, does not serve and how it does
or does not serve -- is right now pretty much up to us. With some vision,
hard work and deep commitment, some good things can happen, if we have
the will to conquer the shadow.

Steve Snow
Project Director
Charlotte's Web