]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  May 1996, Week 1

MEDLIB-L May 1996, Week 1

Support the Anti-Managed Care March on Washington

Samuel Brola <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 May 1996 14:51:15 GMT

SUPPORT THE ANTI-MANAGED CARE MARCH!!!!
WASHINGTON, D.C.
FRIDAY, MAY 10, 1996, 12 NOON TIL 3 PM
WEST FRONT OF THE U.S. CAPITOL BUILDING

I'll be there!  I haven't marched in protest in 25 years.  Back then I
was
trying to save lives in Viet Nam (mine included since I spent 20 years
in
the military).  Now I am marching against another relentless killer,
MANAGED
CARE.  I believe that if the Truth were known, more Americans are dying
each
week from HMO's denying medically necessary care, than died each week
in the
war in Viet Nam.  This time it is not just young men 18-25.  It is the
very
young, the old, the disabled, and the chronically ill.  In other words,
the
people who are least able to fight for their lives, are the ones who
need to
fight the hardest.

Managed care has nothing to do with care. It has to do with DENIED CARE
which
equals MONEY!!!  BIG MONEY!  Major corporations love it because the
directors
can tell the Shareholders how much money they have saved, and give
themselves
bigger bonuses/salaries. Politicians love it, because they can tell the
voters
how many tax dollars are being saved, accept huge campaign
contributions from
the HMO's & corporations, and keep getting re-elected.  The press won't
cover
the whole story because 1) They are big corporations, too.  2) They
rely on
the advertising of major corporations too survive.  Rich Investors also
love
HMO's because of the BILLIONS of dollars in profits they are removing from the
medical care system.

NONE of them cares one bit about the pain, suffering, & deaths caused by the
HMO's denying medically necessary care!!!  Managed care CANNOT WORK so long
as the world has so many greedy, unethical, immoral people who are eager to
put money in their own pockets.

1) Do you believe that ONLY a licensed medical doctor (preferably one who has
actually examined you or your child) can Safely and Legally determine what
care is "medically necessary?"

{Florida Statute 458.305 (3) states: "Practice of Medicine" means the diag-
nosis, treatment, operation, or prescription for any human disease, pain,
injury, deformity, or other physical or mental condition.}  Roger H. Strube,
M.D., the former Medical Director of AvMed HMO's Miami Plan, has been charged
with a Third Degree Felony, Practicing Medicine without a License.  He has an
M.D., is  licensed in Indiana & Wisconsin, but has NEVER been licensed here in
Florida.  He routinely made decisions of Medical Necessity and TOLD practicing
physicians what care to order or NOT to order.  The Chief Medical Attorney for
the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration found Probable Cause existed
in three separate cases, that Roger H. Strube, M.D., had been Practicing
Medicine without a License and Misrepresented himself as a Licensed Medical
Doctor without having a Florida license, in violation of Florida Statutes. His
trial is currently scheduled for May 28, 1996 but it is a sure thing that his
TEAM of lawyers will delay it much longer.  They know that the outcome of this
case will set a Precedent in the State of Florida they may be applicable in
other states.  It will put the entire HMO industry on notice that they MUST
comply with the law and they WILL be held responsible for their actions.

2) Do you believe that self-insured major corporations, and the HMO's they pay
administrative costs, should be shielded from civil law suits in the State
courts by the Federal law, E.R.I.S.A.?  This is particularly galling since
ERISA stands for: "EMPLOYEES' Retirement Income Security Act".  It sure sounds
like its good for employees, but it is NOT.  More than 50% of all Americans
who have medical coverage, have it through an employer who is self-insured.
ERISA blatantly allows self-insured corporations and their HMO's to violate
State laws & shields them from civil lawsuits in the State courts.  If you do
successfully file a civil suit in FEDERAL court, you can only recover actual
financial damages, which are difficult to prove.  You CANNOT seek Punitive
Damages, no matter what they have done.  You are NOT even guaranteed to have
your attorney's fees paid if you win.

3) Do you believe that it is immoral and unethical to FORCE anyone to join an
HMO when Managed Care is so completely out of control?  Many employers already
have limited your choice to one managed care plan or another.  Mine has.
Florida's Governor Lawton Chiles and some Florida Legislators want to FORCE
all 1.2 million Florida Medicaid recipients into HMO's!  They have already
FORCED all Workmen's Compensation claims to be handled through HMO's.  I am a
college graduate (3.85 GPA) and my wife is well-educated as well.  We have had
to fight for the last five years with all our knowledge and resources to keep
our HMO from denying medically necessary care.  We are absolutely convinced
that most Medicaid recipients are too under-educated to fight as hard as we
have.  Their children will DIE.  They are dying NOW.  It must stop.

4) Did you know that Florida State Senator Alberto Gutman (R) accepted a
$500,000 "consulting fee" from an HMO while he was vice-chairman of the
Florida Senate's Health Care Committee?  He claims it was not a conflict of
interest.  RIGHT!!!!  It sure served HIS interests well enough.

5) Have you seen the reports on the KPMG Peat Marwick studies that claim to
show that managed care has reduced hospital costs and length of hospital stays
WITHOUT an increase in patient complications or patient deaths?  This is part
of the BIG LIE.  As quoted in the Miami Herald, the statistics show that the
daily hospital costs are down and so are deaths and complications among the
HOSPITAL patients.  All true, I'm sure.  Their conclusion: Managed Care has
NOT lowered quality of care.   TOTALLY FALSE.  The first thing I was taught in
Statistics class was: Do NOT extend your conclusions beyond the data collected.
KPMG Peat Marwick's study, probably financed by HMO's, does NOT count the
patients who suffer complications or die after leaving the hospital.  It also
does not take into account the number of patients who are re-admitted to the
hospital.  Since the real pain & suffering takes place outside of the hospital,
it does not count!!  Baloney.

Managed care is nothing less than an all-out assault on the working class by
the directors of major corporations.  THEY get the bonuses.  We get no care.

MANAGED CARE CANNOT WORK UNTIL GOD DECIDES TO PERFORM DUTIES AS A MEDICAL
DIRECTOR.

SUPPORT THE ANTI-MANAGED CARE MARCH ON WASHINGTON, D.C.

If you cannot be there, write, fax, and E-mail YOUR elected representatives.
Tell the Senators and Congressman that you believe Managed Care must be
STOPPED.

I have also posted the Summary of our 5-year Nightmare in an HMO.  Please
take the time to print it, read it, and circulate it.