GEOCOSMO July 1996

Laser & Ion Probe short course

[log in to unmask] (Pat Shanks)

Wed, 10 Jul 1996 15:21:51 -0700

SHORT COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT:
(Society of Economic Geologists Short Course immediately
before the 1996 Geological Society of America Meeting
in Denver, CO)

APPLICATIONS OF MICROANALYTICAL TECHNIQUES TO
UNDERSTANDING MINERALIZING PROCESSES

Organizers: Michael A. McKibben and W. C. (Pat) Shanks III
Society of Economic Geologists

Dates: Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 26-27 1996
(dinner and reception on Friday evening)

Venue: The Nature Place Resort, Florissant, CO 80816
(in the Rocky Mountains ~2 hours from Denver,
shuttle transportation available)

The Nature Place is in an isolated location in the mountains
about 1 hr from Colorado Springs with a spectacular view of
Pikes Peak.  Their room rates are based on room + meals +
facility use (which includes: indoor pool, tennis, volleyball, etc.
hiking, xc skiing trails, planetarium, and giant walk-in plant
cell).  Accomodations are in studio apartments with loft and
stone fireplace.  It's an incredible place!

REGISTRATION FEES:
$425 professionals
$325 students

Fees includes registration, lodging (double occupancy), all meals
and social hours, coffee breaks, registration and course volume
(Reviews in Economic Geology Vol. 7).

Single rooms are available for an additional $80 ($40/night).

If you wish to bring a spouse/friend/significant-other, we can
book a double room. The additional cost will be $140 for room
and meals (assuming he/she is not attending the short course).

Registration for the short course does not cover anything
regarding GSA- like housing, meals, local transportation, GSA
registration- you have to arrange that separately if you want to
attend GSA. I suggest you take a look at the GSA website:
http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/96/index.htm
the GSA meeting runs M-Th, October 28 - 31.

REGISTRATION FORM

Name___________________

Address____________________
            ____________________
            ____________________
            ____________________

 phone   ____________________
 email    ____________________

Preferred roommate: ______________________

Deadline:  August 25, 1996

Costs:
Registration, room (double occupancy, meals included):
     Professional     $425
     Student             $325
Single room       add $80
Spouse             add $140
------------------------
TOTAL                  $_____

Make checks PAYABLE to "Society of Economic Geologists"
Mail checks and registration form to:

W. C. Pat Shanks
U.S. Geological Survey
973 Denver Federal Center
Denver, CO 80225
phone: 303.236.2497, fax: 303.236.3200,
email: [log in to unmask]

OR, we can now accept credit card payments through SEG:

TYPE OF CARD:
Visa                     ______
Mastercard           ______
American Express ______
Discover               ______

Card number ________________ Expiration date _____
Total Amount $ _________
Signature ____________________

SHUTTLE TRANSPORTATION:

CHECK HERE ______ if you would like us to arrange shuttle
transportation from Denver International Airport to the
Nature Place with pickup at DIA between 1pm and 9pm MST.
Return shuttle transportation to GSA hotels will also be
arranged and the cost will be approximately $30-35 each way.

If you plan to rent a car, we can provide detailed directions
to the Nature Place.

APPLICATIONS OF MICROANALYTICAL TECHNIQUES TO
UNDERSTANDING MINERALIZING PROCESSES

SHORT COURSE TOPICS AND LECTURERS:

GEOCHRONOLOGY AND RADIOGENIC ISOTOPES:

U-Pb geochronology by ion microprobe: not just ages but
histories
I. Williams et al.

ICP multiple collector mass spectrometry and in-situ high
precision isotopic analysis
A. Halliday et al.

40Ar/39Ar geochronology using the laser microprobe
K.V. Hodges

STABLE ISOTOPES:

Ion microprobe analysis of oxygen, carbon and hydrogen isotope
ratios
J. W. Valley et al.

Laser microanalysis of silicates for 18O/17O/16O and of
carbonates for 18O/16O and 13C/12C
D. Rumble & Z. Sharp

S isotopes by ion probe
M.A. McKibben & L. R. Riciputi

S isotope analyses using the laser microprobe
W.C. Shanks, D. Crowe, & C. Johnson

ELEMENTAL ANALYSIS:

Ion probe quantification of precious metals in sulfide minerals
A. C. L. Larocque & L. J. Cabri

Micro-PIXE in earth science
I. Campbell & G. K. Czamanske

Economic applications of accelerator mass spectrometry
G. C. Wilson & J. C. Rucklidge

Major, trace and ultra-trace element analysis by laser ablation
ICP-MS
W. I. Ridley & F. E. Lichte

FLUID INCLUSIONS:

Evidence for sources of salinity, dissolved gases, fluid mixing
and phase separation in ancient hydrothermal systems from
laser microprobe analysis of Cl, K, Br, I, Ar, Kr and Xe in fluid
inclusions
J. J. Irwin

The laser Raman microprobe as a tool for the economic geologist
J.D. Pasteris

Synchrotron-source x-ray fluorescence microprobe: analysis of
fluid inclusions
D. A. Vanko & J. A. Mavrogenes

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Society of Economic Geologists Web Site:
http://www.mines.utah.edu/~wmgg/SEG.html

Isogeochem home page
http://beluga.uvm.edu/geowww/isogeochem.html#anchor1001784

Geological Society of America Web Site: