MEDLIB-L July 1996, Week 5

Electronic Job Sources (fwd)

Kimberly Megginson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Jul 1996 16:30:03 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 16:26:41 -0500 (CDT)
From: Kimberly Megginson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Electronic Job Sources

This is a brief guide to some of the electronic job sources for
librarians.  You may be familiar with some of them, but just going into
GSLIS yesterday I found the following sites listed:
 =20
ARL    http://arl.cni.org/careers/vacancy.html
 =20
SLAJOB http://www.indiana.edu/~slajob
 =20
ALA    http:www.ala.org
 =20
Lexis-Nexis  http://www.lexis-nexis.com/lncc/about/employment.html
 =20
OCLC   http://www.oclc.org

AALL (Law) http://lawlib.wuacc.edu/aallnet/hotline.htm
 =20
I had submitted this to ALA, but they have already commissioned an article
on this subject to be published in a future issue.
 =20
All the jobs sources listed are mostly for United States positions.  If
you would like to submit to me ([log in to unmask]) electronic sources
in countries outside the US, I will be happy to compile for the group.
 =20
Aside from MEDLIB, which is mainly a listserve with some job notices, I
have not yet located a job source just for medical library
positions.  Please let me know if there is one.
 =20
Kimberly Megginson, MLS
VA Medical Center
Fayetteville, AR 72703

> The Electronic Job Hunt
> Kimberly E. Megginson, MLS
>=20
> =09Part of any exercise to locate that first position or plan a career mo=
ve, is to find the jobs.  This article presents electronic resources useful=
  in the search for vacancies in the library field and is intended to suppl=
ement traditional print sources and personal networking.
> =09These employment resources, which can be accessed via WWW, Telnet, Dir=
ect Dial, Gopher and E-Mail, post job announcements for all types of librar=
ies public and private. The user must have a basic knowledge of computers a=
nd the INTERNET.  Not all users will have equal knowledge or the same compu=
ter hardware and software, therefore whenever possible, alternate addresses=
 or means of accessing job postings are provided for the user.  For example=
, a user with an e-mail account is able to subscribe to SLAJOB, while a use=
r with telnet ability, but without the browser Netscape, will still be able=
 to connect to the GSLIS Job Placement Database.
> =09Prior to mounting a search on any of these databases, take a few minut=
es to plot a strategy and determine what is desired in a professional posit=
ion.  Note the type of  library, the kind of position, the geographic locat=
ion(s) and the salary preferred in  the ideal job.  Specifying these employ=
ment objectives will yield more effective results.
> =09
>=20
> The Riley Guide
> =09The Riley Guide is a comprehensive directory of free employment resour=
ces on the Internet.  The library component includes click-on access to the=
 Chronical of Higher Education, Library of Congress, GSLIS Job Placement Da=
tabase and the Federal Job Opportunities Board.  It is a great place to beg=
in a job search.
> =09Internet Address for the Riley Guide:
> http://www.jobtrak.com/jobguide  Vacancies in the library field can be fo=
und by selecting  =93Quick List of Files=94 then =93Job Resources=94 then =
=93Social Sciences=94 then =93Disciplines Listed=92.  It is under the last =
submenu that the user clicks on =93Library and Information Sciences=94 to a=
ccess the employment resources listed in the above paragraph.
> =20
> GSLIS Job Placement Database
> =09The Graduate School of Library and Information Science at the Universi=
ty of Illinois maintains the Placement Database of library job notices for =
public, academic, school, special, and faculty positions.  Jobs can be sear=
ched by experience level, by job type, by geographic area, by library type =
and by minimum salary.  The sources of information include employer-issued,=
 the Library Hot Line, Library Journal, American Libraries and the Chronicl=
e of Higher Education.  This is one of  the best places to locate announcem=
ents for library positions.  The GSLIS Job Placement Database can be access=
ed through the world wide web, by telnet, in the Riley Guide and the Librar=
y of Congress - Marvel.
> =09Internet Addresses for GSLIS Job Place Database:
> http://carousel.lis.uiuc.edu/~jobs/
> http://alexia.lis.uiuc/gshs/research/jobsearch.html  The world wide web a=
ddress  has impressive search options and is very easy to navigate with a m=
ouse.
> telnet sharp.lis.uiuc.edu (login: jobs; password: jobs)  The telnet addre=
ss is just as user friendly as the WWW address.  The main difference is the=
 use of arrow keys instead of a mouse.=20
>=20
> Chronicle of Higher Education
> =09The Chronicle of Higher Education  is an excellent source of academic =
library job openings nationwide.  The postings, updated weekly, do list som=
e jobs from outside of  academe, as well as, outside the United States.  Th=
e Chronicle can be accessed from the world wide web, via gopher, The Riley =
Guide and Library of Congress - Marvel.
> =09Internet Addresses for the Chronicle of Higher Education:
> http://chronicle.merit.edu   At this world wide web address,  view librar=
y jobs by using a mouse to select =93Jobs in and out of academe=94 followed=
 by the selection of =93Search using the Chronicle=92s list of job titles=
=94 and finally by the selection of =93Library Administration=94.  A screen=
 listing jobs by title, institution and state or country will be displayed =
and the user can then view any position by clicking on the title.  Another =
option is to select =93Search using any word or words of your choosing=94, =
which is a submenu of =93Jobs in and out of academe=94.  This option allows=
 the user to also search by geographical location, but does not always pull=
 up as many positions as =91Search using the Chronicle=92s list of job titl=
es=94.
>=20
> gopher chronicle.merit.edu  The Chronicle can also be accessed through th=
e gopher address.  It is essentially the same, except the user must use arr=
ow keys to make selections.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Library of Congress - Marvel
> =09This site provides information on employment opportunities at the Libr=
ary of Congress.  In addition,  it connects users to other employment sourc=
es such as the Chronicle of Higher Education, Federal Government Job Openin=
gs (Dartmouth) and University of Illinois, GSLIS Placement Online.
> =09Internet Address for Library of Congress:
> gopher marvel.loc.gov  At the main menu arrow down to =93Employee Informa=
tion=94.  At the next menu select =93Employment Opportunities at the Librar=
y of Congress=94.  This will pull up a list of job openings.  To view a det=
ail description and  to retrieve application information of a posting, arro=
w down to the job title and press =91enter=92.  Another option at the main =
menu  is to select =93 Employment Opportunities and Services Outside the Li=
brary of Congress=94.  These sources vary in searching quality and, except =
for GSLIS Placement Database, are not limited to library vacancies.
>=20
> Federal Job Opportunities Board=20
> =09The United States Office of Personnel Staffing Service Center manages =
the Federal Opportunities Board, which provides world wide employment oppor=
tunities.  Federal job lists can be very extensive, but the FJOB allows for=
 searching by title and series number.  The series number for librarian is =
=911410=92. Another nice feature is the function that mails announcements a=
nd application forms to the address specified by the user.  The FJOB can be=
 accessed via the Riley Guide, by telnet and by phone number.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> =09Internet Address and Direct Dial Number for the Federal Job Opportunit=
ies Board:
> ftp:fjob.mail.opm.gov
> telnet fjob.mail.opm.gov  After signing in with name, address and user sp=
ecified password (remember it!), the user is guided through an initial set =
up.  The user is prompted to select  open competitive, merit or combined li=
st of announcements, as well as, state (location)  and educational level. I=
t is necessary to initially read the short descriptions of the options.  Th=
e user will find that it is not necessary to hit the return (enter) key whe=
n selecting options, just when typing in title or series number. =20
>=20
> 912-757-3100  For this direct dial number, the user needs communications =
software,  a modem and to set the parity to =91none=92, the databits to =91=
8=92 and the stopbits to =911=92.  Otherwise, it functions the same as the =
telnet address.
>=20
>=20
> Federal Job Listing=20
> =09This database is part of the DOD-TECNET Test and Evaluation Community =
Network.  All  federal jobs are listed by agency, geographic area and date.=
  It is not searchable, but under each broad category the vacancies are lis=
ted alphabetically by title.  Federal Job Listing  posts announcements from=
 the Department of Defense, National Science Foundation, Office of Personne=
l Management, Army and other federal agencies.
> =09Internet Addresses for the Federal Job Listing:
> http://140.229.1.1:8000/htdocs/bboards/JOBS.index.html  or
> http://tecnet1.jcte.jcs.mil:8000/htdocs/bboards/JOBS.index.html  These ar=
e two world wide web addresses for Federal Job Listings.  Use the mouse to =
select options and submenus.  Search alphabetically for =91Librarian=92 in =
the job lists and note the date of  the posting.  Old postings are maintain=
ed on the database.
>=20
> Special Library Association Job List
> =09The student chapter of the Special Library Association at Indiana Univ=
ersity sponsors  SLAJOB, a listserve devoted to library  job announcements =
in special libraries..  As stated this is a listserve and a user must subsc=
ribe to receive these job announcements.  For those with a personal e-mail =
address, there are several steps to join.
> 1)  Activate the send mail option
> 2) Type (without quotes) [log in to unmask] in the addr=
ess line.  For BITNET type [log in to unmask]
> 3) Leave the subject line blank
> 4) Type in the body of the letter SUBSCRIBE SLAJOB FIRSTNAME LASTNAME
>  (FIRSTNAME LASTNAME is the name of the subscriber)
> 5) send message
>=20
> =09The preceding  electronic sources of job opportunities provides  a sta=
rting point in the hunt for library employment.   With the utilization of  =
the Internet and other communications technologies, the end user is sure to=
 discover alternate methods and resources to find jobs. Computers and compu=
ter applications are becoming increasingly integrated with all vocations an=
d access to announcements of career opportunities can only be expanded and =
enhanced for the on-line consumer.
>=20
> =13PAGE  =15
>=20
>=20
> =13PAGE  =146=15
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> =02:\JOBPAPER.DOC=0BCirculation=0FA:\JOBPAPER.DOC=0BCirculation=0BA:\MAIL=
=2EDOC=0BCirculation=0BA:\MAIL.DOC=0BCirculation=0BA:\MAIL.DOC=0BCirculatio=
n=0CA:\PAPER.DOC=FF@HP LaserJet IIIP=03=0C=03D=03=0C=03D=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=
=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=