MEDLIB-L  October 1996, Week 1

MEDLIB-L October 1996, Week 1

Glenn Ferdman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:06:18 -0500

Subj:  Responses to Library Services to Patients and Families Request

Below are the responses received to the above request.  --G.F.
********

*********************

*******

************

*****

************

****************

**********

***********

********
>Our library provides free information services for anyone
>affiliated with the hospital. We include patients and their
>families as persons affiliated with the hospital. We will
>look up topics, do literature searches if warranted, get
>articles, and photocopy from our collection.

>our/my viewpoint is
>significantly different--as may be the case for most of the peds libraries.
We are
>situated right next to the cafeteria so have a lot of walk-in traffic.
Since I have been
>here we have opened a Family Resource Center, but it is a floor away,
hidden in a Family
>Lounge and rarrely open because it is staffed by volunteers. There are
books, some
>videos and a vertical file up there which houses pamphlets, articles and NORD
>information sheets, etc. Most questions the parents pose need to be
answered by the
>technical books anyway, or from THE NEW CHILD HEALTH ENCYCLOPEDIA,
PHYSICIAN'S GUIDE TO
>RARE DISEASES, or the Springhouse publication DISEASES which we have here.
Our catalog
>also indexes the books and vertical file materials in the Family Resource
Center. We
>have recently received $s donated to buy an additional computer and the
Infotrak Health
>Refernce Center which we will have here in the Health Sciences Library. I
am very active
> on our Multidisciplinary Patient Ed Committee and am responsible for the
Patient Ed
>database. I feel we contribute to the hospital's public relations for
promoting our
>hospital as "the" place to come for children's well-being. An "institute"
beginning this
>fiscal year is the "Center for Healthier communities for Children" which
will have us
>cooperating with Community Education Dept in providing info for our Mobile
Unit which
>goes to Health Fairs and PTA meetings. So--we have parents, families and
members of the
>community come and use our library. We let parents/families who have
children in our
>hospital, or are seeing our physicians copy materials at no cost.--the good
will is
>worth the small cost. We do not do searches for them--we let them use our
indexes and
>book collection. If they want a search we suggest they ask their Dr. to
request a search
>from us. When we get the new computer and Health Reference Center software
up and
>running we will have to rethink our policies/procedures, and I will need
the guidance of
>my boss and the MPEC committee. The MDs originally didn't want
parents/families in here
>and felt they should have a "separate" library--one reason we added the
Family Resource

******

******

***********

******

*************
>We encourage patients and families (and community) to use the library.
>One section of the library contains the consumer collection, and there is
>a table and chairs there for their use.  Every effort is made to help
>them locate the information they need.  They may photocopy (10c a page),
>but may not borrow materials.  They may use InfoTrac in the Library, and
>hopefully on Nursing units when we network shortly.
>
>If they want Medline or CINAHL searches done for them, there is a fee,
>however if they can do it themselves and their use of the computer
>terminal is not preventing medical center personnel or students from
>access to it, there is no charge.

**********
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
                                       Glenn Ferdman, MLS
               Team Leader, Academic Information Management
                            Children's Memorial Hospital, Box 12
                       2300 Children's Plaza, Chicago, IL 60614
    (312)880-4244  (312)880-3833 (fax)  [log in to unmask] (e-mail)

"Opinions expressed in this message are my own and do not represent
the opinions or policies of Children's Memorial Medical Center or any
of its other employees, physicians, medical professionals, directors,
officers or affiliates."
""