COMMUNET October 1996, Week 4

The Pittsburgh Thread

Philip Lauro <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Oct 1996 14:16:34 -0400

Hi All:
        Sunday, October 20, 1996 The Post-Gazette "A Creaky Structure" " The
latest PG Benchmarks study of Pittsburgh shows the region ranks dead last in
"smart government" amoong 15 similiar-sized metropolitian regions" ...
        Mr. Farley responded to my passionate attack, perhaps he can respond
to the independent 12 page, researched investigation recently published
today in our very own and "usually sympathetic" home town newspaper.
        You all can read (I will send copies of the article on request)the
article for yourself, however one interesting statement made by "a leader"
was "Pittsburgh is about 10 years behind."
        Now I simply ask the very logical question "Is their any reason to
believe that this institution and its associated organizations and
corporations can tackle our new medium (which changes very quickly indeed)
successfully when they can't even "clean their own houses?"
        The problem in Pittsburgh is "the process"? For the most part it's
exclusionary. This is not to say all government or corparate officials are
bad. It doesn't mean Mr. Farley doesn't want to fix "the system" or large
funders like Heinz don't really want to "help people". It's much worse than
that.
        It means that the decision making processes, the way issues are
researched and community intervention strategies are designed are inherently
flawed. A recent letter to the Observer (another local newspaper)asked the
basic question (not quoted), how come the same 20 or so people seem to sit
on all the major boards (decision makers for community outreach) but nothing
ever seems to get done? I am not proposing "nothing ever gets done" some
good projects do, but not nearly enough!
        You only have to read the paper in this town to realize several
important and powerful individuals who were beyond reproach a few years
back, are now considered nothing more than simple criminals. But in their
time nobody in their right mind would go up against them. I am not implying
that our current leaders are all criminals or that they even did anything
illegal. What I am implying is the processes for decision making they
espouse retards community development in many ways.
        When Mr. Farley puts forth statements of the ilk Blue Cross
Officials and other volunteers said Phil Lauro did such and such ... he's
assuming the truth of such statements because of the source, not based on
fact. It's hear say about something he was never directly (or indirectly, as
far as I know) involved in. Indeed the positions of people like Mr. Ian
Rawlson and Ms. Lois Michaels (two people I know have very little nice to
say about me)assure people like Mr. Farley will ASSUME their words are true
even though very little research would demonstrate this is not the case. In
other words, my word is simply not as good as theirs!
        I am not saying these and other individuals have not done anything
good for communities. In fact they have over the years propbably did plenty
for many. However, when powerful individuals use their positions, titles
and reputations to wrongly damage others and projects which are inherently
good, what can be done? When the very process is based on the infalibility
of such individuals, how can "an outsider" ever get into the circle no
matter how much good or potential for good exist? I can't fix the system
alone, but then neither can they, obviously. Perhaps together we could!
However, the word collaboration has a very narrow focus for far to many of
"our leaders".
        My organization sees networks as a powerful communications tool, not
a project in and of itself. It's true worth can only be realized through
integration into communities in a community-defined manner consistent with
the self-generated definition of community for each specific community. We
have always said we are not an access project, access to us is money,
hardware and lines. That is not rocket science, given those three things
access is a breeze.
        Our goal is a system of communication and coodination defined by the
communities and enhanced via networks. It is ment to stimulate
intracommunity collaboration through a system of common skills. It's a
sophistaicated bartering system in other words. And it works! It's not a
virtual thing, it's a physical thing with real people helping each other
through application of their own self-defined talents, wants and desires.
IT WORKS!
        Virtually, it's a sophisticated interactive visual database using
community-defined (user-defined) interfaces to make it usable for
coordination, administration, etc. which is "web enabled" It can and will
reduce redundancy and help communities form practical collaborations with
others that can help them without confusion or the administrative nightmares
imposed on all of us now. It creates an informed populace!
        During the past two years I spent a lot of time listening to
advisors telling me not to piss off certain people, "please to get them
mad". I spent a lot of time "dumming down" presentations and proposals
because my advisors said "its too complicated for them" and still afterwards
"they didn't understand, especially the technology part". The problem is,
what we, you, all of us want to do requires a high degree of sophistication
and coordination. It requires; community members to illustrate how "THEIR
COMMUNITIES" work, knowledge of hardware and software, interface
management, teaching, etc. It's avery sophisticated problem which many will
have to work on.
        I did not want to be or ever envision being a community activist. I
learned how to be by practical application because my own community was
going to hell. My skills were aquired because of necessity which hit close
to home. I became involved! I never envisioned this becoming my life! I
was approached by most of the organizations I ended up talking with because
of what I was doing, not saying. Unfortunately, I do things a little
differently and never learned to be anything but frank and honest. After
all, many of the people I had to interact with were paid to interact and
attend meetings. I didn't have the luxury of being in such a position. I
also didn't know "how important" some of the people I talked to were! In
fact, I treated with the same respect as I would anyone. Unfortunately, I
also didn't hesitate to jump on, what I considered "classical bullcrap"
either. I just never learned how to kiss ass and I think that is a
"societal problem" I wished more of "our leaders" had.

Phil

The only difference between qualitative and quantitative information is volume.