COMMUNET October 1996, Week 4

Skill Cell Project - corrections

Chris R Keane <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:28:55 -0400 (EDT)

TEXT/PLAIN

Hi all,

I need to set the record straight regarding the recent post about
"Phil's organization". First of all, as founder and organizer of
the "Healthy Cities initiative in Pittsburgh", I want to describe
what Phil did for that effort. For about a year Healthy
Pittsburgh/Allegheny County was a relatively typical
collaboration of policy makers, hospitals, and academics, with
relatively poor attendance by neighborhood people. That changed
after I hooked up with Phil Lauro, who has been the hardest
working partner I could ever have imagined. When I met Phil, my
idea was to try a community excercise where neighborhood people
draw their vision of a healthy community. Phil thought that was a
great idea and claimed he could get several hundred neighborhood
persons to attend what we called "Healthy Sheraden". Phil came
through and more than 350 local residents attended. Since then,
this ongoing project has picked up a large number of
collaborators, but mainly those who have a fierce and
longstanding disposition towards grassroots driven activity. Phil
has made some enemies, but mainly those who are not fiercely
committed to grassroots driven activity. Yes, it is true that
Blue Cross/Blue Shield is not interested in funding Phil. Blue
Cross has never funded Phil or the activities I describe here.
It is also true the NTIA did not fund the project (we were turned
down at the final cuts). However, we the Skill Cell project have
had a lot of help, mainly from the not so well-to-do.

The Skill Cell Theory and Methodology (Skill Network Project)
precipitated from the "Healthy Sheraden" meeting held on March
18, 1995. Innumerable volunteers helped out, including not only
Sheraden residents, but about 20 nursing and public health
students. The buffet brunch served at Healthy Sheraden was funded
by the Graduate School of Public Health and Magee Womens'
Hospital. The meeting demonstrated the successful implementation
of the World Health Organization's Healthy Cities Visioning
process and played a critical role with respects to Sheraden's
activities to build a healthier and more vibrant community
(Sheraden is a neighborhood in the West End of Pittsburgh).
Healthy Sheraden was an astounding success with over 350 Sheraden
residents attending, who produced twenty-nine colorful portraits
describing their imagined "healthy community". I can tell anyone
who is interested more about the process. In fact, three days
after the meeting, Phil, gave me a 50 page full report describing
the process of Healthy Sheraden, complete with barcharts and
timelines. The Jewish Healthcare Foundation granted $10,000 to
continue implementing the project in Sheraden.

Healthy Sheraden then evolved into the Skill Cell Project as a
non-directive means to facilitate continuous decentralized
community management. Many community organizations in Sheraden
are committed to implementation of the Skill Network. The Skill
Network approach has picked up the committment and enthusiasm of
many community leaders throughout Pittsburgh and Allegheny
County. The Skill Network project is collaborative by nature,
Following are some excerpts from letters describing how our
partners will work with the project.

The principal and about 10 faculty of Elizabeth Seton School in
Sheraden are ready to integrate the Skill Cell
telecommunications into their curriculum, thus building
connections between the formal curriculum with community
organizations such as the Parent/Teachers Group and the church
associated with the school. As the principal states in her letter
of commitment,

     "The School Board of Elizabeth Seton has voted to issue
     space within the building(s) of the elementary school
     for an internet server provider and an internal network
     computer laboratory."

>From Sheraden groups, we also have letters confirming formal
collaboration from the Southwest Pittsburgh Community Development
Corporation, and the Sheraden Youth Center.

Phil Pappas, director of Community Human Services is the liaison
for the implementation of the Skill Network in one local
community. As Mr. Pappas states in his letter of commitment,

     "The purpose is to teach and create settings for at
     risk persons to access knowledge about other persons'
     skills and assets in their neighborhood which can
     impact on a persons growth while encouraging community
     building. In my work with Phil Lauro, I have dedicated
     about five percent of my time to help promote and
     develop this system. Further, I have committed
     implementing this plan in a high density single room
     occupancy which house at risk persons and the
     Wilkinsburgh community."

(Mr. Pappas has more recently set up an initiative using Skill
Cell method in Oakland).

The University of Pittsburgh Law School is committed to use the
Skill Network Method to connect downtown law firms to
communities, specifically through their "adopt a community
program". As David Herring, Associate Professor of Law states in
his letter of commitment,

     "The University of Pittsburgh School of Law is prepared
     to play two key roles within the Skill Cell Theory and
     Methodology Project. First, the School will coordinate
     the provision of direct legal services to communities
     by both law students and private attorneys. Second, the
     School will organize and operate a Multidisciplinary
     Center at the University that will provide communities
     with sophisticated technical assistance in a broad
     range of areas of expertise. In both of these roles the
     school of Law and the entire University will utilize
     the powerful communication and community building tools
     provided by the skill cell theory and methodology in a
     way that supports both the effective implementation of
     both skill network methodology itself and the community
     initiatives that result. As to the schools first role,
     skill cell theory and methodology provides a uniquely
     powerful tool that will facilitate the provision of
     legal services. Through direct communication with
     community members, the School's Community Development
     Law Clinic will provide legal services in such areas as
     housing development, small business development, non-
     profit corporation law, tax law, contract law, and
     corporate law. The School's Clinic program will also
     recruit and involve private attorneys, thus increasing
     exponentially the ability of the Clinic to provide a
     broad array of sophisticated legal services to
     communities. .."

The Law School will also organize and operate interdisciplinary
training at the University in the principles and techniques of
the Skill Network Method. That training will be provided for
participating community members and professionals from Sheraden,
Wilkinsburgh, and anyone else desiring the training. The Graduate
School of Public Health, including the Public Health Social Work
Training department, and the department of Health Service
Administration, will provide faculty and facilities for that
training.

Kenneth Thompson, MD, Director, Institute of Community
Psychiatry, WPIC, University of Pittsburgh, states,

     "I am enthusiastic about employing the Skill Cell
     Theory and Methodology into my work to strengthen the
     mental health of communities. With my help, the SCTM
     could integrate community services and mobilize
     community skills and strengths to create and support
     mental health."

>From the University of Pittsburgh, we also have letters of
support from Leon Haley, Unix Administration Support, the
Department of Health Services Administration, GSPH, and from the
Public Health Social Work Training for Maternal and Child Health
Department within GSPH. We have 22 strong letters of support.

After we sent them a brief, the World Health Organization Healthy
Cities Research Newsletter, asked Phil to write an article on the
Skill Cell project. That newsletter also described our project in
their own words. Also, the World Health Organization took in on
themselves to describe the Skill Cell/Healthy Pittsburgh
Allegheny County project on their Healthy Cities homepage.

We have presented seminars, or had abstracts presented at major
conferences, to include a Medical Association conference in New
York City (May of 1996, an audience of about 100), the Public
Health Social Work Training Institute (for PA), an abstract and
presentation accepted for the Americal Public Health Association
meeting in New York City (this November 18, 1996), the Graduate
School of Public Health. The University of Pittsburgh's Graduate
School of Public and International Affairs (GSPIA) invited Phil
to teach students how to develop web pages for CDCs at the
Capstone Seminar series of January, 1996.

The grassroots activities Phil and the team from Sheraden (the
neighborhood where he lives) work with are unusually vital. The Block
Watch Phil and his wife work with won a Governor's award. Phil
has for a long time published a Block Watch newsletter which reaches over
a thousand residents. He has worked with gangs in the area (that is past
tense because it seems to me there are no more gangs in Sheraden, a fact
that a local school staff told me he attributes to the Sheraden Block
Watch). I spend several hours a week working with Phil in Sheraden and
have seen many excellent community meetings in his home, one of which was
witnessed by a representative from the Heinz Foundation. Phil gets with
the people, and close to their concerns. His combination of expertise in
grassroots activies and telecommunications is a great asset to the Skill
Cell project.

There are many other projects in the area, such as Carnegie
Library, the Hill House, the Pittsburgh Freenet etc, which focus
on providing access. Our focus is on the content and form of what
community members will access. Thus collaboration between the
Skill Cell project and projects focusing on access is natural and
mutually beneficial, and I sincerely hope this occurs.

If you talk only to Phil or someone who is threatened by him, one might
get the impression he is a one man show. Many people have called him
brilliant, and that might set him apart from others. His consistent
honesty also sets him apart. But I have tried to show just how much Phil
and the Skill Network project works with others. Yes, Phil is aggressive
and straightforward, but I have found the partnership with him to be
refreshingly productive and inspirational. Phil will help.

I have to stop now, but more on this exciting project later.

Sincerely,

Chris Keane
Faculty, Graduate School of Public Health
624-3128