COMMUNET  October 1996, Week 4

COMMUNET October 1996, Week 4

Urgent Request - Online Database

Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:23:16 +0500

Earlier this month, I sent out an urgent request for assistance in
developing and implementing an on-line mapping database.  Wow,
what a response!  I received offers to help from all over the country
- but then that's what community networking is all about, isn't it?

First, thank you all for the help.  I had to step back a bit and
regroup.  So I'll start with a review and, I hope, a better
explanation of what we are trying to do.

When we talk about mapping, we do *not* mean geographic
mapping.  We mean mapping in the sense of capacity inventory
for individuals and organizations, and releasing that power in
order to build a better "community".  We started with "Building
Communities from the Inside Out - A Path Toward Finding and
Mobilizing a Community's Assets" by Kretzmann and McKnight
(Center for Urban Affairs and Policy Research, Northwestern
University).  This is one of the major references for HUD's
"Neighborhood Networks" Project - see their Community Center
page at http://www.hud.gov/communit.html.

We took this mapping concept a step or two further by making it
self administered, self directed, and personal.  The forms we
developed can be found at:

		http://www.tcfn.org/mapping/mapping.htm

The introduction to the "Individual Capacities Inventory" reads:
"Every single person has capacities, abilities and gifts. Living a good
life depends on whether those capacities can be used, abilities
expressed and gifts given. If they are, the person will be valued, feel
powerful and well-connected to the people around them. And the
community around the person will be more powerful because of the
contribution the person is making. We are interested in your
capacities, abilities and gifts. They may have been learned through
experience in the home or with your family, or learned at work, at
church or in the community."

These inventories will be completed and updated by individuals
connecting to the local community network (Tri-Cities Free-Net)
from, for the most part, Community Technology Centers (see
http://www.ctcnet.org).  Two examples:

Amistad Family Center.  A family learning center set up next
to the Amistad (friendship) Elementary School.  Last year it
served 85 families, mostly low income Hispanics.  Most
parents were mono-lingual.

Kennewick Housing Authority.  A HUD subsidized, low-
income housing project of 102 units.

Here's some excerpts from the inventory to give you an idea of
what we're talking about:

Maintenance
__Window Washing
__Calking
__Fixing Leaky Faucets
__Pruning Trees & Shrubbery

Child Care
__Caring for Children (1-6 year olds)
__Performing Infant CPR

Individual's capacities inventories will be linked to their e-mail
address only to maintain some degree of privacy and security.  The
data will be retrieved by members of their "community" (e.g.
Amistad, Kennewick Housing Authority), by the general public,
and by the "community" administrator(s).  The individual will
choose (and can revise at any time) the level of access to their
information.  The information is also dynamic - people move,
abilities and capacities change, and the process is in a continual
state of evolution.  What we're talking about here is *not* a top
down, social worker telling individuals what they need, system.
We're talking about giving individuals the tools for self-discovery
and self-help.  There is a significant difference in asking someone
what abilities they already have rather than asking what they need!

And now the database challenge!

Here's just some of the resources offered and/or suggested as
possible solutions:

RAIN Network (Regional Alliance for Information Networking).

Charlotte's Web - http://www.charweb.org

Impact Online - http://www.impactonline.org

Information Access Institute - http://Information.org

infoWorks - see what they are doing in Pittsburg (NeighborLink)
at http://neighborlink.cc.dug.edu

Resource Exchange Bank - http://www.bamta.org/reb (this one is
the closest we've seen to where we want to be)

And locally

We run our Web site from space provided free by one of the ISP's.
We have offers from two other ISP's for "as much space as we
need".  We also run our dial-up/text system using Galacticomm's
Worldgroup (version 1.0).  Galacticomm is about to release
version 3 of the Worldgroup software which, among other things,
will provide "Active Html" as an interface and provide direct
access via any HTML browser.  We have looked at two
Worldgroup databases as possible candidates:

Visual xBasic by BSI Technologies (http://www.bsitech.com
and telnet/FTP://bsitech.com).  This is a relational database
that supports ANSI/ASCII users as well as Galacticomm's
client/server Worldgroup.  Seems very powerful and capable
of doing the job.

Genesys for Worldgroup (http://www.hvs.com).  Requires a
bit more programming skill but looks like it can also do the
job.

Both are around $900.00 (we don't have $9.00 to spend right
now!) and claim to be far superior to the "archaic CGI
scripting" used by web-based databases.

We have tried over the last 4 years to get Galacticomm interested
in supporting the community networking community by using us
as a development platform (and providing us with the latest
software versions) but have had ZERO luck.  That's why we still
only have version 1.0 of their software - and that was donated by a
commercial provider who switched to Unix.  I plan to keep trying!

So what's next?

My hope is for this message to spark new interest in a
collaborative effort to develop new and/or modify existing
software that can be used to implement on-line community
capacities mapping.  I hope you will all look at the references,
provide new ones, and help us work on a solution.  You are all
welcome to use the forms we have developed in any way you see
fit.

I look forward to hearing from you all soon.  Come visit us at

http://www.tcfn.org

E-mail distribution list:

Communet Listserv
CTCNet listserv
CPB listserv

 Bruce McComb, Executive Director
                                RECA FOUNDATION
                   605 South Olympia #74  Kennewick, Wa 99336
                Phone:  (509) 543-2910  e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

                                         PROGRAMS
* TCFN     Tri-Cities Free-Net, Modem: (509) 543-2900,
telnet://tcfn.org,                 http://www.tcfn.org

* CBPIN    Columbia Basin Public Information  Network
                   http://www.tcfn.org/cbpin.htm
Founding members:  Arts Council of the Mid-Columbia Region, BOSS
Internet Group, Educational Service District 123, Franklin County,
Mid-Columbia Library, NW Public Television, Washington State University
Cooperative Extension, and Tri-Cities Free-Net (TCFN)