COMMUNET  October 1996, Week 4

COMMUNET October 1996, Week 4

Re: The Pittsburgh Thread

Tue, 22 Oct 1996 17:46:10 -0400

From:  Dave Farley, Grants and Development Officer, Office of the Mayor,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

        I tried hard to ignore this latest set of distortions from Phil, but
upon reflection I felt it really cried out for a response.  These periodic,
self-serving messages from Phil about how awful things are in Pittsburgh are
designed mainly, I believe, to provoke and self-justify the condescending
view Phil has of the world.  Most of the time lately I've been strong and
have resisted responding to them, since they're such arrant nonsense.

        However, if someone who's not on to Phil's game, yet, would hear
about all the great things he's doing and how the rest of us are stupid
knaves, they could get sucked into his orbit.  I, for one, believe that
would be a cruelty of mephistofelian proportions.  Fact is:  Phil's not
really got anything going, so far as I or others involved in community
networking can determine.  If he does, then he should show it, and I've
asked him more than once.  All that has occurred, though, is a lot of
verbiage and insulting talk from Phil.

        So, here's my response inter alia.

At 02:16 PM 10/20/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi All:
>        Sunday, October 20, 1996 The Post-Gazette "A Creaky Structure" " The
>latest PG Benchmarks study of Pittsburgh shows the region ranks dead last in
>"smart government" amoong 15 similiar-sized metropolitian regions" ...

        Totally agree.  Although the article dealt mostly with problems of
county and small municipal governments, as I recall, and focused on such
things as the lack of a coherent 911 emergency system for Allegheny County
(something the City of Pittsburgh had back in the early 1970's, and, indeed,
is still a successful model for such municipal systems.)

>        Mr. Farley responded to my passionate attack, perhaps he can respond
>to the independent 12 page, researched investigation recently published
>today in our very own and "usually sympathetic" home town newspaper.
>        You all can read (I will send copies of the article on request)the
>article for yourself, however one interesting statement made by "a leader"
>was "Pittsburgh is about 10 years behind."

        I agree with most of the perspective expressed in the article.  I
don't believe it offers any really useful solace to Phil, however, since the
City's involvement in the projects that we've been talking about on communet
is way more creative than most municipalities in this or any other state
(and, I'm finding out increasingly, than many other countries besides.)
Actually, the article said the Pittsburgh region's rank would have risen to
*2nd* out of all comparable regions, if the small municipalities that
surround us and our county government, too, would get their acts together.

>Now I simply ask the very logical question "Is their any reason to
>believe that this institution and its associated organizations and
>corporations can tackle our new medium (which changes very quickly indeed)
>successfully when they can't even "clean their own houses?"

        Sorry, but the logic of that question escapes me.

>The problem in Pittsburgh is "the process"? For the most part it's
>exclusionary.

        You are quite right, and over that particular observation I imagine
we could have a strong partnership.  I am committed to changing that, and am
willing to work with anyone who has something to contribute besides
unremitting condescension and argumentativeness, which in the business of
building constituencies are usually giant wastes of time.

>This is not to say all government or corparate officials are
>bad. It doesn't mean Mr. Farley doesn't want to fix "the system" or large
>funders like Heinz don't really want to "help people".  It's much worse than
>that.

        Not sure I completely understand.  Is Phil paying me and others a
left-handed compliment, here, or is he suggesting that I and others really
don't want to fix the system; and as if that weren't bad enough, there's
something worse?  What could possibly be worse than that?

>It means that the decision making processes, the way issues are
>researched and community intervention strategies are designed are inherently
>flawed.

        There's absolutely no evidence for any *inherent* flaws in how
research and community intervention strategies are designed in Pittsburgh,
but I do agree with the statement below.

>A recent letter to the Observer (another local newspaper)asked the
>basic question (not quoted), how come the same 20 or so people seem to sit
>on all the major boards (decision makers for community outreach) but nothing
>ever seems to get done? I am not proposing "nothing ever gets done" some
>good projects do, but not nearly enough!

        Totally agree.

>You only have to read the paper in this town to realize several
>important and powerful individuals who were beyond reproach a few years
>back, are now considered nothing more than simple criminals.  But in their
>time nobody in their right mind would go up against them.  I am not implying
>that our current leaders are all criminals or that they even did anything
>illegal.  What I am implying is the processes for decision making they
>espouse retards community development in many ways.

        Well, you ARE implying some vague, negative connection between the
involvement of government officials and exclusionary decision making, a
style that is admittedly characteristic of the private business and
philanthropic communities in Pittsburgh, and which predates significantly
the rise of any influence by local government.  I agree that the debate
needs to be opened up.

>When Mr. Farley puts forth statements of the ilk Blue Cross
>Officials and other volunteers said Phil Lauro did such and such ... he's
>assuming the truth of such statements because of the source, not based on
>fact.

        I presume their statements are based on fact.

>It's hear say about something he was never directly (or indirectly, as
>far as I know) involved in.

         Phil may not know that I was among those asked originally by the
Dean of the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health to
host Dr. Trevor Hadley, the progenitor of the *healthy cities movement*.  I
participated very early on in discussions about this effort.  I'm quite
familiar with the approach and the public health philosophy that underlies it.

>Indeed the positions of people like Mr. Ian
>Rawlson

        That's Dr. Ian Rawson, a distinguished member of the Pitt faculty
and an administrator at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh.

>and Ms. Lois Michaels (two people I know have very little nice to
>say about me)assure people like Mr. Farley will ASSUME their words are true
>even though very little research would demonstrate this is not the case. In
>other words, my word is simply not as good as theirs!

        That's about it.

>I am not saying these and other individuals have not done anything
>good for communities.  In fact they have over the years propbably did plenty
>for many.  However, when powerful individuals use their positions, titles
>and reputations to wrongly damage others and projects which are inherently
>good, what can be done?  When the very process is based on the infalibility
>of such individuals, how can "an outsider" ever get into the circle no
>matter how much good or potential for good exist?  I can't fix the system
>alone, but then neither can they, obviously.  Perhaps together we could!
>However, the word collaboration has a very narrow focus for far to many of
>"our leaders".

        Why bother, when Phil doesn't believe we have brains or creativity?

>My organization sees networks as a powerful communications tool, not
>a project in and of itself.

        Certainly.  And so do most thoughtful people on this subject.  That
insight isn't unique to Phil, nor does it set him apart as somehow more
enlightened about these matters.

>It's true worth can only be realized through
>integration into communities in a community-defined manner consistent with
>the self-generated definition of community for each specific community.  We
>have always said we are not an access project, access to us is money,
>hardware and lines.  That is not rocket science, given those three things
>access is a breeze.
>        Our goal is a system of communication and coodination defined by the
>communities and enhanced via networks.  It is ment to stimulate
>intracommunity collaboration through a system of common skills.  It's a
>sophistaicated bartering system in other words.  And it works!  It's not a
>virtual thing, it's a physical thing with real people helping each other
>through application of their own self-defined talents, wants and desires.
>IT WORKS!
>        Virtually, it's a sophisticated interactive visual database using
>community-defined (user-defined) interfaces to make it usable for
>coordination, administration, etc. which is "web enabled"  It can and will
>reduce redundancy and help communities form practical collaborations with
>others that can help them without confusion or the administrative nightmares
>imposed on all of us now.  It creates an informed populace!

        Maybe one or two good ideas in all that stuff above, but it strikes
me as a big cloud of steam mainly to soften and divert the reader's
attention from all the bitching, innuendo, and name-calling Phil did
earlier, and, by the way, is about to do, again, now, following this section
(see below.)

>During the past two years I spent a lot of time listening to
>advisors telling me not to piss off certain people, "please to get them
>mad".  I spent a lot of time "dumming down" presentations and proposals
>because my advisors said "its too complicated for them" and still afterwards
>"they didn't understand, especially the technology part".

        There isn't a thought that Phil could express that'd be too
complicated for me and many others.

>The problem is,
>what we, you, all of us want to do requires a high degree of sophistication
>and coordination.  It requires; community members to illustrate how "THEIR
>COMMUNITIES" work, knowledge of hardware and software,  interface
>management, teaching, etc.  It's avery sophisticated problem which many will
>have to work on.

        Absolutely true. And we are moving toward that objective quickly.

>I did not want to be or ever envision being a community activist.  I
>learned how to be by practical application because my own community was
>going to hell.  My skills were aquired because of necessity which hit close
>to home.  I became involved!  I never envisioned this becoming my life!

        God forbid.
>was approached by most of the organizations I ended up talking with because
>of what I was doing, not saying.

        Not in my case.  Phil approached the Mayor's Office about funding.

>Unfortunately, I do things a little
>differently and never learned to be anything but frank and honest.

        And self-serving, don't forget.

>After
>all, many of the people I had to interact with were paid to interact and
>attend meetings.

        Phil should understand that we're not doing this work merely because
we're paid to do it.  My belief in the efficacy of community networks and
information sharing strategies generally has a long pedigree, and I do take
umbrage at these kinds of pissant, insulting references from the likes of Phil.

>I didn't have the luxury of being in such a position.

        It's not luxury.  One must put in very long hours (including many
hours for which there is no pay.)

>also didn't know "how important" some of the people I talked to were!

        Shame on Phil, then, for not doing his homework.

>In
>fact, I treated with the same respect as I would anyone.

        Saints preserve us!  If that's how Phil behaves in his community,
it's no wonder it's, as he said earlier, *going to hell*.

>Unfortunately, I
>also didn't hesitate to jump on, what I considered "classical bullcrap"
>either.

        And neither will I in this and similar instances from Phil, when he
seeks to aggrandize himself and create a distorted picture or our efforts
and our motives in Pittsburgh.

>I just never learned how to kiss ass

        Phil also has difficulty with the truth apparently.

>and I think that is a
>"societal problem" I wished more of "our leaders" had.

        No comment.