COMMUNET  October 1996, Week 4

COMMUNET October 1996, Week 4

Re: defining communities

Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:50:50 -0400

Mark:

At 03:02 PM 10/24/96 GMT, you wrote:
>Dave Farley
>
>>The Native American group coordinates its
>>newsletter online.  The computer user group coordinates meetings and
>>logistics.  The preschool uses Internet email to educate teachers.  The
>>community action center processes forms.  These are all traditional
>>activities in corporate America.
>
>>These are traditional activities in just about any modern culture,
>>aren't they?  And they're not particular attributes of *corporate*
>>culture per se, are they?
>
>I was not talking about the nature of the activity, but the way it is being
>done.  Corporations financed the development of computer techniques for
>producing publications, coordinating meetings, continuing education via email
>and forms processing.  Any organization that picks up the technology finds
>itself presented with advantages corporations find important.

        Yes, I agree.  I understand your reference, now.

>For example, I've supported two non-profit BoD (Board of Directors).  In both
>cases, the organization was able to achieve wonderful new levels of policy
>making.  They were able to minimize 'phone tag' via email. Email offered a
>way to make 'trial balloons' of various ideas.
>
>In both cases, the board evolved a more 'elite' perspective.    I sensed a
>subtle change in direction.  In stead of being primarily a 'community group,'
>they become a service organization.  The difference is that the first is
>inclusive first and effective second.  The latter has those priorities
>reversed.

        Perhaps, but I don't blame the addition of technology per se for
that, do you?  In my experience with community groups, boards of directors,
and their evolution there are fairly identifiable patterns of communication
that develop over time.  If a group was cliquish and elitist to begin with,
when it had low level technology, it tends to be cliquich and elitist when
it gets high level technology.  If a group was inclusive before, that same
group will tend to favor uses of technology that foster inclusiveness.

        I, too, have organized several community groups and boards of
directors over the years, and have served on some, as well.  I do understand
what I take to be your concern that some kinds of technology may themselves
favor exclusivity, or, at least, by allowing people to communicate rapidly
and to some degree anonymously, that those who want to be cliquish or
exclusive can do so more quickly and often.  But that kind of behavior has
been going on over the phone and by mail for decades.

        That's why I maintain that for people in groups to benefit in ways
besides efficiency from all this technology in conducting the kinds of
community-enhancing activity that I believe you're stressing in your
argument, they've got to meet face to face, a large part of the time.

>The question I've been asking myself is this, are computer technologies by
>nature 'elitist?'
>
>I've basically concluded that they are.

        I suspect you may be on to something, here.  There are certainly
some kinds of human interaction (and we all can think of such things!) that
are done best in person.  And by offering more opportunity for people with
ostensibly common interests to remain individually apart or in very small
collections, some kinds of technology (e-mail and WWW, in particular) may
reinforce those cliquish and exclusive tendencies that may be present in groups.

>As tools, they exaggerate the
>talents of the user.

        Agree.  There's no rapid, interpersonal way I know of, yet, to get a
better handle on this.  People who know what they're talking about (and
people who don't) get the same airplay.  To some extent that's true in face
to face organizations, too, but the time required to extinguish useless or
untalented behavior is frequently much shorter.

>Minor differences between people become 'bigger' if
>they both use a computer.    Networks have the same impact, with greater
>effect.

        Agree. This may be a little like driving on the highway, where some
drivers compete with other drivers because they are in a car or a truck.
That kind of unsafe driving can get you injured or killed on the highway.
But what is the effect of being virtually injured or virtually killed on the
information highway?  The *game* aspects of computer technology generally
may exacerbate competitions for attention on networks in much the same way
as speed may exacerbate competitions for lane occupancy on roads.

>>>I suspect neighborhoods will increasingly function and
>>>look like multi-national corporations. ...  It is a rather odd way
>>>to organize a 'city' from our current perspective,
>
>>What about it is odd?  I'm not sure I understand the point, here.
>
>The 'networked city' is defined by 'passwords' instead of steel and glass.
>If you have a password, you have the keys to the city.  It doesn't matter
>where you are, one is 'there' if they have the connection and the password.
>This has been true in multi-national corporations for years.
>
>Personally, I find this an odd way to look at the concept of 'community.'

        It's certainly not a replacement for a face to face encounter.

>The key theme to keep in mind is 'inclusion.'  The city of glass and steel is
>fairly inclusive.  Anyone can hang out in the 'infrastructure.'

        No, they can't.  Bums, disruptive people, picketers, critics, and
lots of others are shown out by security people.  If you're referring to the
government buildings, that's a slightly different story during the daytime,
but at night those buildings are also secure.  And once governments have
more prominent web and e-mail presences, all those people from the nearby
jurisdictions (and lots of others from far away) who go to an access point,
or who may have one of their own at home, will be able to hang out all the
time at the virtual government.  Such an eventuality may turn out be more
inclusive for some populations.

>It is almost
>impossible to keep people out and for many it provides a relatively safe
>haven.  The city of network cables and passwords is by nature elitist.  It is
>a private club and only the select few have access to the benefits of the
>infrastructure.

        OK, it's a private club that anyone can join.  So, what's the problem?

>This analysis leads on to support the 'access for all' initiatives of past
>ten years.  Unfortunately, the network seems to force differentiation because
>it exaggerates differences in talents as I said above.  One cannot simply
>'give away' access and achieve an 'inclusive' community.

        Agree totally.  There is a consistent demand for tiered training for
members of many different kinds of communities along with that access.
Training and familiarity with the medium will to some extent begin to erase
the more blatant differences in talent among people, unless you're
suggesting that talent differences are somehow inherent or hereditary among
people with respect to how they use technology.  Will we be able to force
smart people and dumb people to work together on the computer?  Probably not
for long, anyway, and I doubt things like that have much of a payoff in the
long term.  Some educational software that's out, now, may be adaptable to
what I understand to be your concern for inclusiveness, however.  There are
cooperative games, e.g., around which I could envision some sort of
customized, geographically identifiable website being developed, so that
*everyone* can participate in the *community* of various tasks and discussions.

        Tell me more about the Dallas Community Network.  How are you
organized?  Who are your partners? Who can't you get as partners, and why?
Who can't you get rid of? Etc.

                        Regards,

                        Dave Farley
                        Office of the Mayor