COMMUNET October 1996, Week 4

Re: Interview with a list

Philip Lauro <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Oct 1996 01:55:28 -0400

At 10:24 PM 10/20/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Steve, some thoughts on the below:
>
>Steve Cisler wrote:
>>
>> Phil Lauro says:
>> >The major concentration in this area is on access, actually using
>> the net to build communitities is not.
>
>This is troubling.  If I were back home in Philly and walking at night on
certain parts of West Market Street, or even here in quiet and
>little Tallahasse and I was taking a stroll in Frenchtown at night, I would
worry for my well-being.  Access is a sine qua non of
>connectivity, but how can we marginalize those pathologies of geography
that we face everyday?  Is it not unreasonable to propose that
>building communities is as important as access?  I like homework nets in
this wise.  Giving kids the opportunity to interact with their
>teachers at night builds communities.  So does our election results that we
post here in Leon County, and our on-line property appraiser data
>base, etc.

Exactly, our version of community netwrok was a response to actual physical
community building and networking.  We needed it because the success of our
projects necessitated the need for a widespread, interactive communications
forum for coordination and administration.  We created a very successful
newsletter first (about the size of the whole community in circulation)
where people could write in.  We created the phone tree from hell.  We
created Skill Cell Theory and Methodology as the next step.  Alas, that's
part of our problem. We are community organizers with a bit of knowledge
about computers. For most of us computers were our day job.  People just
don't seem to understand that about us.

>The concept of the virtual is fine, but we still have to live in
geographical settlements, unless we can enter our computers and virtualize
>ourselves.

And if those people won't or can't use those computers to further their
physical communities well-being, then all the access in the world won't make
a bit of difference will it?  Sort of like TV, lots of access but it really
didn't do a thing for communities, obviously! That's our point at the SCDC.
Corporations know that, they are adopting Intranet technology to enhance
intra-corporation communications.  The same can work for communities, the
idea is the same, however the paradigm of organization is different and it
must provide for community-defined definition of content and interface.  Is
this an understandable statement? (I'm not being either condecending or
rude, rather this seems so clear to me and so fuzzy to some others).

>> Neil Guy, the Vice President of Vancouver Community Network and author
>> of the excellent "Community Networks: Building Real Communities in a
>> Virtual Space?" <ww.vcn.bc.ca/people/nkg/ma-thesis/>, comes to this
>> conclusion about community networks in British Columbia:
>>
>> "...my findings suggest that ther is something of a gap between the
>> community-building rhetoric of many supporters of community networks
>> and the actual work being undertaken by volunteers with community
>> networking organizations.

Sure, to many network gurus think systematic organization of a
community-defined and driven network is way too complicated because of lack
of expertise, which they fill in, in the general residential population.
Three years ago that may have been true, now it is not.  This is the problem
we think we have solved. Direct user involvement in the creation of a
community network regardless of expertise level through a flexible
organizational paradigm using existing and emerging technologies.  What we
are proposing is a way to make virtual information accessible and
interactive.  We don't really care about where or what the community or
organization deems is appropiate content, we just created a very effective
way to oirganize, deliver and interact with it, i.e. Skill Cell Theory and
Methodology.

>Agreed, there may be too much of the "surf the net", "email the world"
mindset among us.  As Ed Swartz emphasizes in his work, computing on
>the net means less unless it reinvents our--all or our--rich and
poor--communities, with geographical relevancy, which is the case by
>definition, for all of us tune in via some physical place, and live in some
space.  The Miami Hearld ran an piece today that bemoaned the
>proliferation of "walled and secured "communities"" that are growing like a
bad weed in Miami.  The article lamented that these walls exclude
>the possiblity of the construction of community.  Computers for the rich
and access for the benefited likewise edify electronic walls around
>our subdivisions and homes.

In the virtual world these walls can be torn down by matching skills,
desires for self improvement and common interest through a multifaceted,
interactive forum.

>> "...the promotion of local community was not held to be a major objective
>> by my respondents. ...This is in contrast to the views of many theorists
>> of community networking...

This does not come as a surprise.

>Would this be the case because--and look out for the flames on this--too
many who do local nets are propellor heads?

And to often those that control the propeller heads have little knowledge of
either community or technology:)

In my experience, many
>of the Unix types, who are the de facto gurus of most networking, are
libertarians who get all excited about free speech, but don't have a
>clue about community development (Saul Alinsky comes to mind as a purgative
to this detritus).  These are different skills, abilities, and
>knowledge sets--not to mention value sets:  configuring Cisco routers is
not the same as building a virtual network in a housing project.

Absolutely right, those UNIX weenies need community organizers and community
organizers need those UNIX weenies.  And the ones who do both are valuble
indeed, I would say.  The point is in any community you will have those who
want to be geeks and those who want to go into social service and everything
in-between.  A real organizer gets things started and then let's the
diversified residents of the community take over.

Put me in any community, no matter how poor or down and out and I guarentee
I will find, the natural weenie, community leader, future chemist, mechanic,
etc. Once agin, that's our primary goal and what we think will build
community and individual self-sufficiency.  But that idea is hard to swallow
because it means decentralization and giving up control.

>> "Instead, the major theme emphasized by most of my respondents was that
>> community networks hold an important potential to construct and maintain
>> publicly-owned and controlled space on increasingly private and
>> commercial computer-based communications networks."
>
>I hold that the pubically-owned and controlled space on com networks is a
closed case.  Given the ethos of this country and the acts of the
>federal government (e.g., the privatization of the NSFnet), we will not
have pubically owned nets any time late or soon--unless Clinton's
>school initiative goes forward, but this only speaks to schools.  In my
work, I cannot interest not even one politician to undertake this
>public journey to the Nirvana of public pipes a la the public roads
argument/analogy.  It is just not in the cards, me thinks. If the
>respondents to the survey hold that public networks is the "thing", then
I'd suggest that they read recent press releases on this subject.

But community midnets can overcome some of these obstacles.  Internet
technology is more than being connected to the "global villiage".  Sure, in
the ideal world we're all one big happy family.  But I think, for purposes
of true community organizing, a nice big network of computers, internet
connected or not, can be of real use because of current technologies.  For
education, communities, local governemnt, etc.  Getting connected to the
world is no big deal now, but it may be a distraction.  Being able to here a
Jazz Concert over the Internet is great, however it sounds better on a
stereo, looks better on a TV and works better if it's part of a live concert
series of local community musicians.  But now a streaming video tutoring a
kid on how the heart works, now that's entertainment.

Phil

>> --9.2 Summary
>>
>> Steve Cisler
>> Network Outreach

The only difference between qualitative and quantitative information is volume.