]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  December 1996, Week 3

MEDLIB-L December 1996, Week 3

Re: Consumer Health Info. Policies (Summary-LONG)

Kay Hogan <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Dec 1996 19:42:05 +500

Since so many requested it, I am summarizing for the list the results
of my request for library policies on consumer health information
services (esp. those involving telephone and e-mail requests).  As
may be expected there were some differences owing to the type of
library represented (hospital, academic, etc.).  Also, more than one
respondent reminded me to check Alan Rees' _Managing Consumer
Health Information Services_, which also has a good sample of
different libraries' policies concerning this service.

(1) {Consumer health info center at medical center}
...My experience with patient requests via phone or e-mail are
usually reasonable and are asking only for 5-10 pages of material.
We have no written policy or guidelines and we charge no fees.  We
will rule out the student who is doing an extensive research paper.
We advise that they come in and do their own research because there
are so many resources available and we do not have the staff or time
to do an extensive research.

(2) {Academic libary}
...We provide reference backup service to public libraries in the
state for consumer health questions.  We have developed reference
referral guidelines for public librarians who call us with consumer
health reference questions.  When consumers call our library
directly, the reference staff handles the question if it is a ready
reference type....Public library patrons should not be referred
directly to [library]; contacts should be made by the librarian.
Often the public librarian will have completed a preliminary search,
and it would be important...to know what sources have been consulted
before continuing the search.

A basic packet of information will be sent free of charge in response
to the question...[Packet includes]:  photocopies of approx. 6-8
pages from one or two books (we usually send more); when appropriate,
the results of a Medline database search to find the most current
journal article(s) on the topic.  The...librarian may select and
photocopy one journal article if it is determined that this provides
the best answer to the specific question.  There is no charge for
this journal article.  Appropriate citations and abstracts from the
Medline search will be sent and the patron will be informed that any
additional journal articles he or she may want may be obtained for a
fee from the ILL department; for more extensive information needs,
the titles of one or more books in the...collection will be sent with
instructions that they may be obtained through ILL.  When
appropriate, the...librarian will also recommend specific titles that
are not in the...collection, but which may be available from public
libraries in the state; copies or originals of any brochures, fact
sheets, etc. which may provide the information needed; names,
addresses, and telephone numbers of organizations, self-help groups,
and governmental agencies to contact for additional information

The amount of information sent in response to a question will depend
upon the nature and complexity of the question.  For example, we will
attempt to provide information representing different viewpoints if
there are apparent controversies related to a specific treatment.

Information related to the reference question will be sent to the
public librarian who in turn will pass it on to the library patron.

(3)  {Consumer health library in a hospital}
...Our policy has always been that people need access to information
and that is all we are providing.  We tell people up front that we
are not nurses, that we can provide only general information about a
disease or a diagnosis or a test.  If people have a specific question
about their own condition we suggest that they call their physician.
We have lots of pamphlets books and videos.  The pamphlets go out
free, the books and videos get lent just like in a library.  This is
time consuming and labor intensive just like all other library work.
But our organization likes to be able to provide this free service
for the community.

(4) {Health library in a community hospital}
I just flat don't do it.  I will provide quick reference over the
phone, but anything beyond one quick concrete answer, and I ask them
to come in to the library.  I'm a 0.8 FTE solo librarian with no
staff, in a community hospital, with a consumer health library that's
open to the public (in addition to the reference service I still
provide to staff).  I have lots of info here, and if they can get in,
I'll knock my socks off for them...but they need to get here.  The
only exception I make is for people who (say they are!) absolutely
homebound, with no friend or family member to come in for them.  And
I do not charge those folks.  If I did provide service per phone
request for the "can you send me some information on heart disease?"
kinds of questions, I'd quickly be run ragged... couldn't do it...

(5) {Consumer health information library}
...Here are some of our policies: 1) We do not answer queries on the
phone.  We give details about availability of information, but ask
people to come personally or send a written or email request if they
wish to get information. 2) For queries received through email: a) if
the query requires a short answer, we reply by email, with the
source. b) if the query requires detailed information, or a Medline
search is involved, we send a reply, asking the user to send us
payment in advance, and then process the request.  3) If a query
involves a Medline or Website search, we restrict printouts to about
50 pages.  If a user requires more information, we give it on a
floppy disk.  We provide a floppy disk, and charge for it.  If the
user has his own, we scan it for viruses first.  4) We explain to our
users that information from Medline and other databases is usually
suitable for a health professional's understanding rather than at a
lay level.  We encourage them to take the search results to the
doctor treating the patient and discuss the matter.  If they are
uncomfortable about that, we suggest that they discuss this with any
doctor friend/relative.  5)  We note down details of photocopies
provided in case of our answering queries by mail...This is helpful,
if the mail gets lost in transit...6) We stamp a disclaimer (about
being information service providers and not treatment providers) in
all printouts/photocopies.

(6)  {Academic library}
We do not have a separate written policy for consumers per se.  I
think we need to develop one and have been meaning to do so for some
time.

If people call in and just want a dictionary definition or piece of
statistical info which can be quickly answered, we do so, with no
charge.  If we have to do some digging to find an answer, we try to
get them to come into the library.  However, if they are calling from
out of town and can't easily get to us, we will pull together some
materials on a one-time basis and send them (generally photocopies
from books, web pages, perhaps InfoTrac).  This we typically do only
for laypeople.  Health professionals and lawyers are expected to pay,
and we may charge as much as $40 per hour.

If patrons come into the library, we will help them get started with
searching for information.  If they do their own journal searching,
we offer Medline, CINAHL, PsychInfo, International Pharmaceutical
Abstracts, HealthStar, Current Contents Clinical Medicine and Current
Contents Life Sciences...and the Phenytoin Database...

We always charge for mediated Medline searches, $5 for university
students, $12 for faculty/staff, $20 for [state] health
professionals...and $30 for anyone else.  This is for 1 database, up
to 50 cites w/abstracts or 100 without.  $5 for each additional
database regardless of status of requestor, layperson or
professional.

When laypeople ask for info, we often send them InfoTrac search
results instead, depending on their level of sophistication and how
in-depth they want the search to be...We also send printouts from the
Web if we can find ones with good summaries.

(7)  {Hospital library}
We have a consumer health library also, but the policy for the
actual hospital library is not to turn any one away (by phone or in
person).  We will read out of a standard text or dictionary over the
phone, always giving the source.  We also tell them that this is
limited information and if more is required, we encourage the person
to come in and research with our help.

(8) {Consumer health information library in medical center}
I. Policy: The level of reference and bibliographic services to be
provided shall be consistent with the needs of the patron.

Guidelines:
  A. Reference assistance shall be provided throughout the normal
workday.
  B.  Patrons shall be helped in their use of InfoTrac.
  C.  The CHI library shall have an up-to-date reference collection.
  D.  The CHI library shall subscribe to the Consumer Health and
Nutrition Index.
  E.  Short, simple reference requests may be answered by telephone.
  F.  If a patron specifically requests a literature search on a
subject, as opposed to the information itself, he/she shall be
referred to the Reference Assistant in the Health Information
Library.

Centers_. Salvinija G. Kernaghan and Barbara E. Giloth. Chicago:
American Hospital Association, 1991.)

II. Policy: It is the policy of the CHI Library to provide consumer
health information to the public within legal and ethical parameters.

Guidelines:
  A. Staff should attempt to clarify specific questions to avoid
giving incorrect information.
  B.  Staff must explain that their role is limited to providing
information and guiding consumers in their own information searching;
they must avoid diagnosing.
  C.  Staff should take care to provide or guide the consumer to a
range of sources.
  D.  If consumers do not understand the material they are reading,
staff must not undertake the role of interpreter.
  E.  Staff should be alert to the possibility that a consumer may
call or visit the library in a real state of emergency or crisis and
should be prepared for an appropriate response.
  F.  When providing information by telephone, staff should attempt
to document all information relevant to the telephone exchange.
  G.  Staff must take care to protect the confidentiality of any user
records.
  H.  Staff must be attentive to the limitations on photocopying that
are imposed by copyright legislation...
  I.  To ensure that consumers have access to reliable information,
staff must develop and manage the collection to ensure that the
information is current and medically sound.
  J.  When packets of information are prepared for patrons, a
disclaimer shall be attached, stating, " This material is intended to
provide general information.  Some material may contain information
that is the opinion of the author and not necessarily that of your
physician.  Further assistance should be directed to a health
professional or physician."

Centers_...[see above]
_Developing Consumer Health Information Services_. Edited by Alan M.
Rees.  New York: R.R. Bowker, 1982.)

My thanks to all who responded to my request so generously.  I hope
this helps all of you as it has me.  Please e-mail me directly if you
have any questions.  Thanks again!

Kay

Kay Hogan
UAB Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
Birmingham, AL
(205) 934-2230
(205) 975-8313 FAX