MEDLIB-L December 1996, Week 3

Librarians and MIS: Long summary

Elizabeth Killoran <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Dec 1996 16:24:12 -0500

Hi all,
  I want to thank everyone who shared their wisdom and experience
with me.  It was  enjoyable and thought-provoking.  I  received some 45
apologies for the length as I think the results are worth reading and
then pondering for a bit.
Question 1-do you have a MIS department was (of course) answered in
the affirmative by all respondents, 'though the department name was different
from place to place.
Question 2-what is your relationship with MIS if any?
  23 responded that they had a good working relationship.  The
following comments are worth sharing:  "My computer literacy is
sometimes a handicap because MIS assumes I can set up hardware by
myself. They don't see that my time is better spent doing other
things."  Two responded that the relationship gave MIS staff the
opportunity to learn internet navigation.  One stated that the
relationship was reciprocal with MIS handling the hardware and the
librarian handling the software.
  Four reported directly to MIS.  Four reported a bad working
relationship, with one noting that MIS saw no need for a librarian as
'everything is available on the web anyhow'.  Two were in the early
stages of cooperation, two in an era of wary cooperation.  Two worked
for state institutions that had statewide MIS departments that made
responsiveness and individualized attention difficult.  One was both
librarian and director of MIS.  One other reported an arms length relationship.
  The same refrain was echoed throughout regardless of the
relationship:  There was often a lack of acknowledgement by MIS staff
that the librarian knew what the networking and software needs of the
library were and that MIS knew best.  Often the institutions where
that was no longer the case were the ones where the librarian had
found something that MIS wanted and didn't know how to find/use like
surfing the net.
Question 3-To what extent are you involved with MIS at your location?
  Again the majority answer was a positive 'extensive involvement'.
Five of those noted that the librarians handled most of the internet,
software and search training while MIS handled network support and
hardware setup.  One reported a joint effort to obtain an internet
connectivity grant.  Another lamented that the person in MIS who
truly understood the library had moved on and was not replaced.
Still another noted that she trouble-shot hardware in the absence of
MIS staff.
  Six reported being on joint committees.  Four were involved due to
JCAHO mandates for an IM plan.  Two were in a joint department.  Two
complained that MIS staff were distant and that they had to initiate
all contact between the two departments.  One had been cross trained
to handle hardware and network problems.
  Again, those with the best relationships either had found a way to
be in a joint committee structure or had convinced MIS staff that
they had something valuable (in the eyes of the MIS staff) to offer
the computing environment.
Question 4-What is the quality of your relationship with your MIS
department?
  19 respondents reported that their working relationship was good to
great, 16 reported an ok relationship with two describing the
relationship as poor or awful.  There were many interesting comments
on #4, with two common threads reappearing time after time.
  The first was that whenever one or the other department was able to
educate the other on exactly what and how they used technology and
information software, there was a corresponding and marked increase
in respect.  While many might observe that this was simply common
sense, this process isn't always easily adhered to or fostered in
either the hectic world of medical librarianship or MIS.
  The second thread concerned learning the other's 'language'.
Whenever MIS staff seemed to pick up on the language of the medical
library, or the librarian was able to start using technological terms
AND understanding them, things improved and they were more respected.
 When the medical librarian was able to handle some of their hardware
and software installation and maintenance, things got a whole lot
better.
  Comments included the following:  "My relationship fluctuates
according to the complexity of the technology needs and the
particular staff in MIS."  "We have a good relationship based upon
each department knowing its limitations."  Two respondents
specifically mentioned having to fight with MIS staff regarding the
quality and ease of CD-ROM databases vs the cost factor.  Both
mentioned having to fight for Ovid databases (which cost more) over
SilverPlatter because the MIS department saw only the lower cost and
were unwilling/unable to listen to the stability and ease of use
concerns voiced by the librarians.
  Other comments included "They have started viewing me as less of a
pain in the ass and more of an asset." "The techies like to work on
the library computers because they provide more challenges and give
them a chance to increase their knowledge."  "MIS would prefer to
believe that I'm clueless, however they are acknowledging that we
speak the same language."  "The MIS staff were thrilled to have
someone who understood technology and had a vision for what we could
be doing with it."
Question 5-What areas of your institution recognize your value in
providing strategic information?
  Respondents reported an interesting mix of users of strategic
information.  Marketing and administration were tops with 14,
physicians with 13, researchers and nursing with eight,
faculty/students with seven, CQI, MIS and all areas tied at three,
rehab. was listed twice and patient education, psychology and
physical therapy once.
  Interesting comments included:  "The administration uses the
library for ordering books." "The library is the only/main internet
access site in the institution.(mentioned several times on surveys)"
"I'm surprised how few of faculty and administrators think about
pulling information together before trying to solve a problem."  "We
are still a clinical information service but I'm working to change
that."  "Most areas are just becoming aware that the library is a lot
more than books and journals."
  When I look at these responses, it occurs to me that there is a
real need for medical librarians to begin selling our strategic
information capabilities as a valuable tool to both streamline the
cost and time involved in decisionmaking in all departments.  When I
compare my list of strategic information users it breaks down as
follows:  The Commissioner and administrative staff of the Maine
Dept. of Mental Health, the Maine Attorney General's Dept., Community
mental health staff and staff of the county sheriffs in Southern
Maine, physicians researching for publication or improved patient
care, human resources staff and staff and community members who are
pursuing degrees.
Question 6-Do you have any thoughts on how medical librarians
fit/don't fit/should fit in the scheme of MIS/strategic information?
  17 librarians felt that they should be at the same level or part of
the same system as MIS.  Five stated that they couldn't do without
MIS while four thought there could be better communication and two
saw the division between the two as healthy.
  The comments associated with #6 were more lengthy and thoughtful.
They included the following:  "We know more than others what we can
get for the hospital from outside."  "We have more systems and
software knowledge, but the hardware is more eye catching."  "Medical
librarians/information managers will probably emerge as leaders of
the IS group.  Who else can talk to and understand both the user and
the IS guys." "Librarians have the vision often lacking in MIS with
regards to future planning." "Librarians need to use MIS departments
to 'advertise' services such as databases and locally mounted LANs."
"Librarians are needed to advocate for the needs of the non-technical
professional staff." "It is essential for librarians to be on the
hospital wide IM committee for JCAHO."  (This next quote should be on
a placque on the door of every medical library IMHO) "Librarians need
to advocate for professionals to recognize that there is quality
information available and for them to not settle for the easiest
information to retrieve." " Librarians need to play an active role in
MIS to avoid seeing their usefulness and value decline or die." "With
JCAHO, we're a natural fit with MIS." "The biggest battle has been
the turf wars, especially over the internet.  I believe this will
happen again over the intranet."
Question 7-Any unique tales of MIS and your library?
  Several had things not sharable over the net.  Two reported working
with MIS to set up computer networks in the library only to have MIS
fail to listen to what was really needed and have to come back later
and debug things that would have been trouble-free had they listened
to the librarian in the first place.  Another commented that MIS
staff are paid better but are intellectually and behaviorally
unmotivated to provide service, support and nurture to users, leaving
librarians with the time consuming work without compensation.  One
reported the computer culture dilemma as it affected MIS.  She
reported that their researchers used MACs which MIS wouldn't support.
 This resulted in the researchers not being able to use the library
as fully as they should because MACs couldn't be networked in the
library.
  My favorite quote goes as follows:  "Three years ago during a
casual meeting between two upper level MIS people and myself, I
outlined the various databases and resources I access on a regular
basis, including the internet.  Their eyes got big and round with
wonder when I said I use the internet. 'YOU have access to the
INTERNET??' they said.  They were actually speechless.  It's taken
them until recently to grasp that I have it, I use it and I'm NOT
giving it up."
MY CONCLUSIONS:
  The gap between medical librarians and MIS folks IS real and is
perceived by both sides.  Like someone moving to a foreign country,
both parties need to learn each other's language and customs to grow
and prosper.  Medical librarians need to look beyond the temptation
to assume that most MIS people are from another planet with no
interpersonal skills and nary a clue about what we do.  While there
are enough people in MIS to lend credence to this stereotype, many
MIS personnel can be recruited to respect and understand the medical
library and its extreme importance in thelocation, collation and
dissemination of strategic information.
  In turn, MIS folks need to recognize that we are skilled
professionals, capable of assimilation much of their technology and
utilizing it to streamline and enhance our product (strategic
information).  The process is a delicate one.  Whenever we can find a
useful hook, we should do so.  Several mentions of using the internet
as a hook can be found in the responses.  Others might include
inviting a member of MIS to serve on the library advisory committee,
doing our homework regarding hardware needs and purchases for the
library, keeping track of the major interests of the MIS staff and
alerting them whenever a new article or web site relating to one of
their passions is found.  We are simply doing what we can do well,
marketing our services and ourselves.
  Finally, medical librarians, as opposed to most managers, need to
know how their systems work.  In fact, many times thay have a greater
need than MIS staff to understand their systems because of the unique
aspects of their reference CDs on a LAN.  Their (the librarian's)
challenge is to articulate that knowledge and need in a way that is
not threatening to MIS staff.
John R. Clark, Librarian                                         worry is
what occupies time until
AMHI
things work out as they were
P.O. Box 724