]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  January 1997, Week 4

COMMUNET January 1997, Week 4

re: Association for Community Networking (ACN)

[log in to unmask] (madeline)

Tue, 21 Jan 1997 18:04:28 -0700

Thanks to all those who posted comments or questions to my recent ACN
posts.  My apologies for the delay in responding, I've been on the road
alot and in general in a very swamped modus operandi.  Here's an attempt to
reply to all the questions/suggestions...

>We (Software Valley) would be pleased to provide, at no expense to
>the Association, list server support and a private conference.  We also
>would be willing to include a column in our newsletter which also is
>distributed electronically to some 7000 BBS systems. You can view our
>newsletter at our home page: http://svis.org

Dick: thanks very much for this offer.  I will bring this up with our Board
this weekend...

>You may wish to consider coming under our 501 (3) (c) umbrella (at
>least for startup) which would open up grant funding opportunity more
>quickly.

This is another of our "agenda items": deciding what kind of legal
structure is most appropriate.  More specifically for this particular board
meeting, examining and deciding what criteria we should use to decide on
the most appropriate legal structure.  Among these are asking questions
like: which scenario would provide best sustainable model of long-term
funding (using cash-flow analyses);  which scenario would enable us to best
serve our members; to best meet our goals.  Once the Board identifies the
criteria to be used, the Organizational Development Committee will then
perform the analyses and evaluations, and give the Board their
recommendation.

Your description of what our product could be is right along the lines of
what we are developing, as I described in the excerpts of our proposal I
posted earlier.  A key aspect though is that we not only want to provide
*our* "pearls of wisdom", we want the membership to also be able to
contribute (and be compensated for) *their* wisdom, their expertise.  How
to best *facilitate* this kind of "capacity mapping" is what we are trying
to figure out...  If anyone has good concrete examples of processes &
mechanisms being used to achieve this, I would appreciate hearing about
them.

Bruce, re: CTCNet, we definitely want to explore any possible
collaborations!  This will be another agenda item for our meeting this
weekend.  I have been on the road alot and haven't had time to do many of
the things on my "To Do List", but one of htem is to find out more about
CTCNet. If anyone has any URLs handy, I'd appreciate them.  Also, Bruce:
you mention that you'e developed a comprehensive "Time-Dollar" program?
Could you send me or post any information you have on that?

John, thanks for starting the discussion on 501(c)3 status of CNs... a most
useful dicussion for lots of folks on this list I'm sure.

Ken,
>Herewith, 10 (hopefully comment-provoking) questions that have occured to
>us so far...
>
>CAN WE ASSUME THAT:
>
>1.      ACN has potential access to the full (global?) CN member base
>     for collaborative e-mail campaign purposes? (eg., re: Universal
>Service and CN's)

ACN itself will focus on the U.S., but we definitely plan on collaborating
with national efforts in other countries.  One concrete kind of
"collaboration" among the various national efforts would be to create a
sort of "virtual" global member base.

>2.  CN webmasters will join ACN to collaborate on
>     a quantum leap in retooling and integration? (eg., re: agents and
>meta-sites)

Yes, let's hope so!  We cannot *force* this, but do plan on providing the
appropriate processes, mechanisms, enthusiasm, emotion, crossed-fingers...
;-).   Not only CN Webmasters, but ideally the commercial sector can also
be brought in for this kind of hting. This would be to everyone's benefit.

>3.  VCN types (ala e-minds) and EFF types will collaborate
>     to drive websters (including CN members) into ACN-sponsored chat on
>     the future of public cyberspace in our communities?

Again, we hope so!  Again we cannot *force* these kinds of collaborations,
but we  do hope to play the role of *faciliatator*, and help these kinds of
discussions flourish.

>4.  Prospective sponsors will collaborate on appropriate
>promotion/acknowledgement
>     strategies for CN's and enable ACN to pull revenue through local sites?

Yes.  As I mentioned in the proposal excerpt I posted, one very important
goal is for local projects and local PEOPLE to be able to earn revenue
through their contributions.

>5.  The techcost share of CN operations will go through the floor
>     as ACN spearheads negotiation of "piggyback" deals for CN's?

Don't know abuot "through the floor", but should at least get to "shin"
level ;-).

>6.  Real dollars for "providers" will surge as sponsors grasp
>     the value of deep content and cyberactive citizenship (or clientship)?
Yes, as I describe in the proposal excerpt.

>7.  Updated testimonials are available from funders to-date of  CN
>projects at all levels
>     for use in collaborative strategizing with prospective ACN funders?
Yes, as I describe in the proposal excerpt.

>8.  There is still a WOO for influencing key '96-'97 policy-making,
>including state legislatures,
>     regarding ACN/CN access and funding (among other issues)?
We believe so, for '97 anyway!

>9.  ACN can quickly cobble together a "CN Standards Institute" plus some
>sort of
>     on-line, interactive toolkit for newbie groups to quickly plug
>geo-gaps in CN coverage?
I talk about this in the proposal excerpt I posted...

>10. Communet and allied websters have the time, interest, and capacity
>     to nimbly pursue these issues and close on collaborative near-term
>action items?
Yes, we hope so, but again this is up to the individuals and is not
something we can force.  We plan on trying to *facilitate* this kind of
thing, as I mentioned before.

Whew!  I think that's about it ;-).   Thanks to everyone who posted
comments or questions. If I've missed anything, lemme know...

And again a reminder, the Interim Board for the Association for Community
Networking will be meeting this weekend in Albuquerque.  If there are any
other specific issues, suggestions, possible collaborations, you would like
me to bring up, please send me e-mail by Thursday evening the latest.

I'll be in touch again after the board meeting with an update.

cheers,
Madeline

Madeline Gonzalez
Phone: (970)728-5170