MEDLIB-L February 1997, Week 4

Re: Nursing Journals Fulltext

Peg Allen <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:39:41 -0600

At 05:13 AM 2/22/97 -0800, Katherine Halcrow wrote:
>Contact Glendale Adventist Hospital Library (Glendale CA), they have
>a second product RNDex (sp?), aimed at end-user nurses. (They are
>creators of CINAHL).  It has both citations and fulltext I believe.

While there are two "nursing" databases (plus MEDLINE), only the CINAHL
database (and Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature)
comes from Cinahl Information Systems, Inc., with offices at Glendale
Adventist.  (There because it was started by a group of hospital/nursing
school librarians in the LA area, who pooled their efforts for indexing
nursing journals in their card catalogs, due to lack of coverage of the
nursing literature in Index Medicus in the 1950s).  The CINAHL database
offers comprehensive coverage of the nursing literature, with well over 300
nursing journals in the 900+ journal titles now indexed, along with books,
pamphlets, audiovisuals, and doctoral dissertations.  It has electronic
records for 1982- (the print versions provide coverage back to 1956).
Abstracts (or excerpts functioning as abstracts) are included if available
in the journal, and it copyright permission has been granted (one nursing
journal actually withdrew abstract permission recently!) Cited refences are
also included for most of the nursing and allied health journals, when
permission has been granted.  This is a recent addition to the database.
Original abstracts are oftem created for the AV records, so that all AV
records will have an accurate summary.  Full text (the object of the
original question) is offered for a limited number of titles, mainly state
nursing journals, as noted by another writer.  Cinahl added these items
because of the difficulty of borrowing via interlibrary loan.
Unfortunately, publishers have not been eager to authorize use of this
copyrighted material in the database.  The CINAHL database is marketed by
several vendors, as well as via CINAHLdirect, at http://www.cinahl.com.

I worked for RNdex when it was first started in 1993. It is a subsidiary of
SilverPlatter, but does its own marketing.  In addition to personal and
library editions, a web version is available from Springhouse at
http://www.springnet.com/journals.htm  RNdex indexes and abstracts about 120
selected nursing journals, 1992-  , using its own thesaurus.  RNdex provides
abstracts for all articles by writing their own when the article doesn't
include one - common in nursing journals.  RNdex staff also writes their own
structured abstracts for research articles. However, they do not offer full
text or cited references.  As far as I know, they do not have their own web
site - I could not find one with an Alta Vista search.  I've copied this to
a colleague at RNdex, in case there is a web site for this database, which
has several related products for specialized nursing markets.

MEDLINE includes over 200 nursing journals published in English and other
languages, with abstracts when available, including 43 Index Medicus titles
in 1996.  Journals accepted for MEDLINE are expected to give permission for
including abstracts in the database record.  Indexing of the non Index
Medicus nursing journals is financed by Lippincott-Rave, publishers of the
AJN International Nursing Index.  An Advisory committee is responsible for
journal selection.

There is minimal coverage of the nursing literature in other databases.
Only a handful of titles are indexed in databases like PsycLIT and Social
Science Citation Index. So far, my "research" (see below) has not included
Embase.  Other databases I've checked have had minimal nursing coverage. I
think that the Health Reference Center includes a few titles, but don't have
a current listing available.

If you are interested in comparing database coverage of key English language
nursing journals, I can send you a 7 page chart I developed as a supplement
to the MLA nursing CE when I began teaching it in 1986.  Last updated in
September, 1996, it covers about 185 titles.  Data includes percentage of
research content in the total number of indexed articles.  Since my work on
this project is not subsidized by any organization, I do ask that you
request by mailing me a self-addressed, stamped envelope (55 cents).  While
it can be sent in a standard business envelope, a 9x12 envelope allows me to
send a flat copy.  The list may be freely copied for educational purposes.
Copies of an updated version (Spring, 1997) will *probably* be available at
the MLA Annual meeting in Seattle, at the NAHRS section program and business
meeting, and at the Cinahl exhibit.  All of the nursing database producers
have been very cooperative in helping me keep the information in this
document as current as possible.

I hope this information will clear up who offers database records for the
nursing journal literature.  If you are aware of vendors who are
planning/offering full text nursing journals, in addition to Ovid, please
share with the list.
Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP
Library/Information Consultant
Resource Librarian Consultant for Cinahl Information Systems
Library Consultant for Northern Wisconsin AHEC, Inc.
PO Box 2, 308 Kann,  Stratford, WI 54484-0002
(715)687-4976 or (715)687-2287  Fax:(715)687-4976