SKIVT-L March 1997

SUGARBUSH 7MAR97 GOGGLE DEEP...

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Mar 1997 19:28:53 -0500 (EST)

TEXT/PLAIN

	Without question this storm was the biggest and today was the
best of the season so far.  Yesterday at Stowe, Dolph and I boarded for a
hours in blizzard conditions (love them blizzards) but that was topped by
today at the 'Bush.

	Since the lifts were closed for most of the afternoon yesterday,
we know we would score big on this one in the morning.  Left Burlington
around 7:30, and plowed into Waterbury traffic creating a 20 minute
delay.  Finally approached the mountain at about 9:00 to heavy/moderate
snow and minimal wind.  James and I were a bit behind Greg and Tom so
they took a run on the Gate House while we booted up.  Just in time, they
came back down a hootin' and hollerin' about thigh deep adventures on our
favorite side of Waterfall / Hot Shot.  One more quick trip up the Gate
and I find the snow to be as they said; but I knew it would only get
better up higher so it was off to Super Bravo.  We immediately dive down
Birdland in an effort to reach Castle Rock and at some point Greg lost a
ski in the Birdland Chowder.  The four of us split up (who says there's
no friends on a powder day?) and found it in about 5-10 minutes.  Lots of
people tried to be helpful from the lift, pointing out places where they
thought they saw stuff; except one snowboarder that said something about
having only one board and not losing it...  Yeah, thanks buddy.  Bombed
down to Castlerock using the appropriate woods and we realized that for
this much snow, we needed steep Steep STEEP stuff just to maintain our
speed.  Castlerock was not open (that's where they lost a chair by the
way yesterday) so we quickly headed to Heaven's Gate via Downspout
woods.

Let me just say this; if there was a day to just let it go, this was it.
Paradise, although chowder by the time we hit it was fabulous.  Speed
control was virtually unnecessary.  A few patches of the old crusty snow
had revealed themselves on the headwall, but below that it was no fear.
Just too much snow to worry about anything.  All the traditional airs
seemed tiny when you'd land and couldn't feel the bottom of the snow.
Naturally we had to rinse and repeat on Paradise, too much snow.  Hopped
into the right Paradise woods and got some of the deepest shots of my
life.  Not thigh deep, not waist deep, not chest deep, but goggle deep.
Through luck of wind or something we hit a patch that was disgusting.  In
one section, the snow suddenly rose up quickly and then there came not a
face shot, but a blast of white that never left my face.  I had to stop
because I could no longer see or breathe, a bit scary actually.  This
being my first experience of this sort, I had no idea what had happened.
Only after Greg with mouth agape told me that I had submarined and looked
like a creature from the movie "Tremors" did I realize that I had been in
such deep snow.  He said at one point he saw just the top of my goggles,
and "Warren Miller Missed out".  The tall guys were jealous.  After this
it was off to the Jester Woods, this is just the kind of storm that you
want for tight steep tree skiing.  The snow blasting up around the thighs
slowed you enough for anything you wanted to do.  We then hit the left
side of Ripcord; not bad, but not as phat as Paradise.  Our next trip up
Heaven's Gate it came...

THE SIGN...

It had been snowing heavily all morning (keeping everthing nice and
fresh) but near noontime the clouds broke and blue sky started to
appear.  Suddenly, far off to our right Castlerock was lit up like a
beacon in the mist; and so the message was conveyed to us; just in the
nick of time as we shall soon see.

Greg was waiting when we got off the lift and he had seen the sign as
well; discussion was irrelavent.  We began our hike, chatted with some
boarders at the Church Cliffs.  There was still a landing spot left off the
big one, resist, soak in the beautiful view, bigger fish to fry today...
Nancy Hanks Peak, click back in and onto the saddle.  Already some tracks,
onward to the Rock.  As we skied down to the top of Castlerock, we saw a
guy working on it and he spoke

"Not open yet", meaning the lift of course, not the trails

Let it be known, that we were not nearly the first people over to the
rock, and a small debate about wind direction, previous skiers and snow
consistency led us to Middle Earth.  The flats were a bit windswept and
had us worried that we had chosen "POORLY"  Those fears were soon
alleviated and we found ourselves on a vitrually untracked (a couple of
folk beat us to it) Middle Earth with over 2 feet of nice light high
elevation pow.  (We'd chosen WISELY) I have skied deeper, and I have skied
lighter (not too much), but I have never had the chance to ski such a long
open expanse of deep powder at once.  Probably the best powder run of my
life.  Anyway, not much can be said about the experience; if you've had
it, you know.  If you haven't, hopefully you will, and it's unreal.  To cap
it off, as we approached the bottom of our "run of the year", they started
letting people on the Castlerock lift and we hopped in line.  Had we
chosen to get to the rock one run later, we would have lost our
experience.  We hopped in line anyway (50 or so people) since we were
there and reeled in a fantabulous action packed Rumble run with care free
air.  We had other awesome runs to finish off the day, but they paled in
comparison to Middle Earth; what could compete?

The snow is phat, come up and taste it.

					J. "Goggle Deep" Spin