]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  March 1997, Week 3

MEDLIB-L March 1997, Week 3

Re: Access to Internet Journals/Systematic review sources(long)

Peg Allen <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 15 Mar 1997 18:16:42 -0600

Please respond to the list on this topic - I think it is of interest to most
members.

I have been following the development of the Online Journal of Knowledge
Synthesis for Nursing (OJKSN) since its inception, as it was the first
online nursing journal and it also represents a concerted effort to publish
systematic reviews of the literature relevant to nursing science.  If you
are unfamiliar with it, visit the web site of the the sponsoring
organization, the Virginia Henderson Library at the Sigma Theta Tau
International Center for Nursing Scholarship, at
http://www.stti.iupui.edu/library/
The entire Table of Contents listing the 34 articles published to date can
be viewed, in the form of an author index.  Access to the journal requires a
subscription and Adobe Acrobat software, a major improvment over the old
OCLC software.

OJKSN is indexed in CINAHL and will be applying for Index Medicus inclusion
this year, now that they have two successful years of publication.
Subscriptions can be combined with a subscription to the STTI Registry of
Nursing Research, where nursing research projects are registered by the
investigators.  This is an excellent source of locating the "fugitive"
literature of nursing, as it includes studies in progress and abstracts of
research presented as papers or posters at nursing research conferences.  As
a library, I'd want the the joint subscription - not just the journal.  The
new web search engine for the Registry is very easy to use, as is the web
based form for researchers to register their research.

Systematic reviews are a big item in the evidenced based practice movement,
so I believe that all libraries serving nursing populations should consider
a subscription to the OJKSN.  In addition, I've been in contact with Rumona
Dickson from Liverpool, a nurse working with the Cochrane Collaboration and
with the The Joanna Briggs Institute for for Evidence Based Nursing, which
has 6 centers around Australia and one in Hong Kong.  As follow-up to a
NURSENET posting on MEDLINE & CINAHL, we've just begun a dialog on the role
of systematic reviews in nursing.  She sent me copies of two publications,
the pilot issue of a new RCN journal, Evidenced-Based Nursing, and a
pamphlet titled "Systematic Reviews:  Examples for Nursing" which collates
several abstracts of reviews of effectiveness from the Cochrane
Collaboration, which were published in Nursing Standard. I had suggested
that the work of the Cochrane Collaboration would be more accessible IF it
were indexed in the mainstream databases, like MEDLINE and CINAHL.

Looking at the examples, I wondered how other health sciences librarians
feel about the indexing of critical abstracts, covering both systematic
reviews and quality reserch studies.  The format that will be used in
Evidenced-Based Nursing is a large one page article for each study,
consisting of a structured abstract with a key chart, and Commentary.  The
examples of systematic review abstracts are 2-3 pages each, with commentary
and research notes.  Is this "repackaging" similar to the ACP Journal Club
helpful to the busy clinician?  If so, is it something we should be able to
find in MEDLINE and CINAHL searches, or should we have to rely on another
indexing source?

CINAHL does index abstracts, although I could find only one example of a
record with both Abstract and Commentary in the publication type field.
There are more than 1,000 indexed abstracts in the CINAHL database which
include the textword "nursing."  On the other hand, the stated article
selection criteria for International Nursing Index (used for the selection
of articles for all non Index Medicus nursing titles) EXCLUDE abstracts.
Are abstracts with commentary different?  Are summaries of systematic
reviews not abstracts? Or are they commentary?  How would MEDLINE handle
comments on publications it does not index, including those in electronic
format, such as the Cochrane Collaboration?  CINAHL and MEDLINE both indexed
the Nursing Standard articles authored by Dickson which were essentially
"just" abstracts of the systematic reviews, although they are not labeled as
abstracts.  The selection policy for journals states that "Publications that
consist primarily of reprinted articles, reports of association activities,
abstracts of the literature, news items or book reviews, will not usually be
indexed." (from Fact Sheet on journal selection for Index Medicus; this
sentence also appears in the INI Journal Selection Policy.) Checking the
MEDLINE indexing of the ACP Journal Club, I learned that only editorials,
letters/comments, and articles are indexed - not the abstracts. On the other
hand, MEDLINE indexing does include comments, linked to the original article
- see the Fact Sheet at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/factsheets/errata.html
for examples.  Where will they (NLM) draw the line?  Do we have opinions to
share with NLM?  With the proliferation of medical journals and the fact
that only 21% of journals submitted for inclusion in MEDLINE (via Index
Medicus - INI and the Index to Dental Literature are the other routes to
inclusion in MEDLINE) are accepted, is there room to index abstracts?

All of this got real interesting when I discovered that CINAHL has
considered the Online Journal of Knowledge Synthesis for Nursing articles to
be ABSTRACTS, as well as REVIEW, as indicated in the publication type field.
This was not true for other meta-analysis and systematic review articles
indexed by CINAHL.

It's my opinion that our bibliogrphic databases should provide access to
both systematic reviews of the literature and critical reviews of individual
studies, including those presented as abstracts with commentary, because
these efforts are directed to the information needs of busy clinicians, who
have expressed a need for quality filtered information.  Critical abstracts
may be one of the new "containers" Bob Braude discussed in his Doe lecture,
published in the January 97 Bull Med Libr Assoc.  What do you think? How
WILL we provide access?

Peg

At 12:00 PM 3/15/97 EDT, Jan Watson Cambre wrote:
>My library has just subscribed to the Online Journal of Knowledge
>Synthesis for Nursing through the web.  I am interested in comments
>from libraries that already have access to this journal.  How is it
>working in your institution, have there been any special problems and
>how did you handle them?
>
>Please contact me if you have any experience with this journal or any
>other similar resources.  I'd like to have some idea of what to
>expect before we bring it up for the patrons.
>
>Thanks!
>-----------------------------------

>Jan Cambre
>Head, Science Library
>Thomas Cooper Library
>University of South Carolina
>Columbia, SC  29208
>
>Ph. 803-777-3041
>Fax 803-777-4661
Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP
Library/Information Consultant
Resource Librarian Consultant for Cinahl Information Systems
Library Consultant for Northern Wisconsin AHEC, Inc.
PO Box 2, 308 Kann,  Stratford, WI 54484-0002
(715)687-4976 or (715)687-2287  Fax:(715)687-4976