LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  September 1997, Week 2

COMMUNET September 1997, Week 2

Re: CN Demographic Information?

David McMurtrey <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Sep 1997 14:36:08 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Vigdor Schreibman - FINS wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, David McMurtrey wrote:
>
> > I cannot speak for any community network other than TFN. But I can say
> > that we are and have always been in the business of making the technology
> > available to our community inhabitants and letting them decide what to do
> > with it. We do not view ourselves as omnipotent gods on high deciding for
> > the poor huddled masses what is best for them. Our job is to listen and
> > respond to what they want.
>
> No one envisioned that the dialogue I was asked to facilitate would
> put community networks in the role of "omnipotent gods on high"
> but it did anticipate a role that was much more than merely
> "making technology available to community inhabitants." People
> who build and manage community networks traditionally do not
> explicitly defined their own purposes and values in that process.
> Nevertheless, such purposes and values constitute the implicit
> governing forces that determine the form and direction of the
> technology, and the activities that are offered by their systems.
>
> We sought to overcome the disastrous outcome of the traditional
> practice by making explicit the shared purposes and values that
> should govern these important community systems. This would
> not only clarify the governing forces but would greatly enlarge
> the powers of community networks to realize their vision by
> forging a collective will, with regard to such important matters.

I would hardly call "making technology available to community inhabitants"
traditional practice. Traditionally, new technolgy has been hoarded and
controlled by the few. Your problem is that you believe that this
technology *can* be controlled by a few. I don't share that view.

> > > Building new entities such as AFCN is clearly not what is needed.
> > > It is the work of building genuine community that is at issue,
> > > and that work remains to be defined. Moreover, the work of
> > > building community has a lot to do with process, in which the
> > > network community appears to be sorely deficient. This suggests
> > > that the advocates of AFCN are not the most likely resource upon
> > > which to rely for genuine achievement of community needs.
> > >
> > Members of communities define their communities. As the needs and the
> > resources of the communities evolve so does the character of the
> > community. It is an ongoing process and there is no one answer. AFCN
> > will succeed in direct proportion to its ability to be responsive to its
> > membership....
>
> Pretending that the owners and managers of community networks have
> no role in shaping the direction of the networks is not serious.
> Moreover, the test of the viability of any association will depend
> not upon the initiative of such an entity but upon the meaningful
> participation of the network constituencies who must assert their
> creative control over the association. It is the process of
> establishing viable human relationships, which makes a genuine
> community not the mere entities of control.

Your statement is based upon the assumption that the constituents will NOT
exert creative control merely because the majority do not participate
(speak out) to the degree that you consider acceptable. Again, we
disagree. I, like many others, have been a silent witness to the
formation process of AFCN. For me, this is a practical matter. I am
almost completely caught up in the day to day operations of TFN and simply
don't have as much time as I might wish to devote to this dialogue. But
the other part of it is that I approve of what Madeline, et al have done
to this point. I believe that the silent majority are pretty much in the
same boat that I am in.

> > We have been blessed with new technologies which, for the first time in
> > human history, present the potential to empower all who have access to it.
> > In this technology, everyone can be a builder. Our job is simple ...
> > bring the technology to as many people in our respective communities as we
> > possibly can. Let them define what is to be done with it. It is all we
> > can do just to keep up with the technology as it evolves. There is no way
> > we can predict what our communities will do with the tools that we put in
> > thier hands. That is what is so exciting about this work. It truely
> > belongs to all of us rather than any one of us.
>
> Of course, that has been the propaganda associated with the movement
> to electronic communications, while mega-corporate operators are
> moving swiftly to monopolize all institutions and take total control
> over all communications. The total failure of community networks to
> define the purposes of such systems in the instant dialogue, and the
> growing movement to make a private business out of these community
> institutions, with tacit control placed under a highly centralized
> association that is closely assigned with the mega-corporations (e.g.,
> AT&T, IBM, Apple-Microsoft, etc.), is in my view, an ominous threat to
> the security of the people of this nation.

This is the heart of the scare tactics that you attempt to utilize in
influencing this group. What you fail to acknowledge is that we were here
first and we are still growing. If we weren't growing, there would be
no need for an AFCN. The big boys failed to see the same potential that
we saw all along. Now they see plenty and are jumping to grab their share
of the market. Some of them may even have visions of totally dominating
it. However, that vision is very naive. Just as your vision of AFCN
being dominated by a few power mongers is also naive. Were that proven
to be the case, AFCN would suffer the same fate as NPTN.

> > I believe that it is important for us, as leaders and facilitators of
> > community networks, to share with each other what we are doing in an open
> > forum online.
>
> That was one of the important purposes of the dialogue offered in
> this forum, which has failed pathetically for lack of any serious
> participation by the leadership of community networks.

Again, you mistake silence for lack of participation. Just because there
isn't a tremendous amount of discussion doesn't mean that people aren't
paying attention to what's going on. Nor does it mean that they won't
speak out when they see a need to do so ... just as I am doing now.

> > It may be important for us to meet face to face from time
> > to time so we can share our eperiences, joys, war stories, triumphs,
> > defeats, etc with each other.
>
> Certainly this should be a part of any viable community network
> movement.
>
> It may be that we can take collective
> > action when enough of us see a need to do so.
>
> The only possible way to avoid becoming a slave of the corporate
> state, which is now being swiftly organized on a global scale, is
> through the collective action of the people and their community leaders.
> The failure to "see a need to do so" is an admission of the
> disastrous want of community leadership we are witness to in this forum.

Most of us see a need for AFCN as a vehicle of communication between us
and as an instrument of collective action for our mutual benefit. AFCN
will not succeed if it is not responsive to our collective needs.

> > These are the things that
> > I look to AFCN for. I look to AFCN to succeed through openess where NPTN
> > failed through its arrogant, elitist, closed door policies.
>
> The plan proposed by McMurtrey of turning over control to
> AFCN has nothing whatsoever to do with openness. On the
> contrary, it is a symptom of the ancient disease of taking
> the easy way to human bondage. John Milton described the
> phenomenon during the mid-seventeenth-century, in his poem
> "Samson Agonistes," which is now ravaging democracy in America.
>
> But what more oft, in nations grown corrupt, and by their
> vices brought to servitude, than to love bondage more
> than liberty--Bondage with ease than strenuous liberty--

This last statement is laughable. No where have I proposed "turning
over control to AFCN." Openness will insure that we (the collective we)
are in control. Openness will insure that neither you, nor I, nor the
ominous them (whoever they might be) will dominate.

Never before has there been a technology more inherently democratic than
the Internet. Fortunately for both of us, it is no more possible to shut
you up than it is to silence me. Not that I would want to shut you up.
It is through dialogue like this that I am able to clarify my own beliefs
for myself. I am perfectly content to let you believe what you will. If
you want to scare yourself into believing that the Internet can be
dominated by a very few people, go right ahead. But don't expect me to
subscribe to your beliefs.

David McMurtrey

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm v o y a g e r mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm [log in to unmask]