Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  September 1997, Week 2

COMMUNET September 1997, Week 2

Re: CN Demographic Information?

Vigdor Schreibman - FINS <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Sep 1997 13:07:33 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, David McMurtrey wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Vigdor Schreibman - FINS wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, David McMurtrey wrote:
> >
> >   No one envisioned that the dialogue I was asked to facilitate would
> >   put community networks in the role of "omnipotent gods on high"
> >   but it did anticipate a role that was much more than merely
> >   "making technology available to community inhabitants."  People
> >   who build and manage community networks traditionally do not
> >   explicitly defined their own purposes and values in that process.
> >   Nevertheless, such purposes and values constitute the implicit
> >   governing forces that determine the form and direction of the
> >   technology, and the activities that are offered by their systems.
> >
> >   We sought to overcome the disastrous outcome of the traditional
> >   practice by making explicit the shared purposes and values that
> >   should govern these important community systems.  This would
> >   not only clarify the governing forces but would greatly enlarge
> >   the powers of community networks to realize their vision by
> >   forging a collective will, with regard to such important matters.
>
> I would hardly call "making technology available to community inhabitants"
> traditional practice.  Traditionally, new technolgy has been hoarded and
> controlled by the few.  Your problem is that you believe that this
> technology *can* be controlled by a few.  I don't share that view.

  Your response was high on avoidance of the issue I presented in my
  response.  The basic problem is one of obtaining serious group
  engagement to explicitly define the purposes and values that should
  govern community networks.  The "traditional" technique of avoiding
  this vital engagement and suggesting that one may build a viable
  technology without revealing the implicit purposes directing the
  process, must be overcome if we are to overcome the disastrous
  patterns of the past.

> > > Members of communities define their communities.  As the needs and the
> > > resources of the communities evolve so does the character of the
> > > community.  It is an ongoing process and there is no one answer.  AFCN
> > > will succeed in direct proportion to its ability to be responsive to its
> > > membership....
> >
> >   Pretending that the owners and managers of community networks have
> >   no role in shaping the direction of the networks is not serious.
> >   Moreover, the test of the viability of any association will depend
> >   not upon the initiative of such an entity but upon the meaningful
> >   participation of the network constituencies who must assert their
> >   creative control over the association.  It is the process of
> >   establishing viable human relationships, which makes a genuine
> >   community not the mere entities of control.
>
> Your statement is based upon the assumption that the constituents will NOT
> exert creative control merely because the majority do not participate
> (speak out) to the degree that you consider acceptable.

  Again you are not addressing the issue I presented, simply talking
  past me.  The lack of participation in the envisioning process that
  was agreed to--was total!  This is not small disagreement as you
  suggest.  Network owners and managers are simply stonewalling the
  agreed dialogue.

  Again, we
> disagree.

  No.  I can live with honest disagreement.  You and others are
  simply avoiding the crucial issues, arbitrarily.

  I, like many others, have been a silent witness to the
> formation process of AFCN.  For me, this is a practical matter.  I am
> almost completely caught up in the day to day operations of TFN and simply
> don't have as much time as I might wish to devote to this dialogue.  But
> the other part of it is that I approve of what Madeline, et al have done
> to this point.  I believe that the silent majority are pretty much in the
> same boat that I am in.

  Getting caught up in the fun of working the technology on a day to day
  basis cannot solve the basic problem of designing a viable system.
  There can be no avoidance of the need for a shared vision for the
  community networks.  A technology without vision is a technology
  running wild.  Past experience discloses the profound harm that can
  be expected from such a technology.  This must not be permitted to
  continue.  The fact that the whole gang is stuck in the same
  pattern of ruinous conduct is a signal that greater effort must be
  given to overcoming this conduct.

> > > We have been blessed with new technologies which, for the first time in
> > > human history, present the potential to empower all who have access to it.
> > > In this technology, everyone can be a builder....
> >
> >   Of course, that has been the propaganda associated with the movement
> >   to electronic communications, while mega-corporate operators are
> >   moving swiftly to monopolize all institutions and take total control
> >   over all communications.  The total failure of community networks to
> >   define the purposes of such systems in the instant dialogue, and the
> >   growing movement to make a private business out of these community
> >   institutions, with tacit control placed under a highly centralized
> >   association that is closely assigned with the mega-corporations (e.g.,
> >   AT&T, IBM, Apple-Microsoft, etc.), is in my view, an ominous threat to
> >   the security of the people of this nation.
> >

> This is the heart of the scare tactics that you attempt to utilize in
> influencing this group.  What you fail to acknowledge is that we were here
> first and we are still growing....

  I do not employ scare tactics, and growth is not the criteria for
  competence.  What is needed is coherence, and shared community purpose,
  attributes which are sorely lacking.

> > > I believe that it is important for us, as leaders and facilitators of
> > > community networks, to share with each other what we are doing in an open
> > > forum online.
> >
> >   That was one of the important purposes of the dialogue offered in
> >   this forum, which has failed pathetically for lack of any serious
> >   participation by the leadership of community networks.
> >

> Again, you mistake silence for lack of participation.  Just because there
> isn't a tremendous amount of discussion doesn't mean that people aren't
> paying attention to what's going on.  Nor does it mean that they won't
> speak out when they see a need to do so ... just as I am doing now.

  More avoidance.  The failure to seek a shared purpose and define the
  shared values that should govern, was total!  This is not a time
  for complacency in the fact that "they are all doing it"; it is,
  instead, a time to change such grossly unresponsive patterns.

> >   It may be that we can take collective
> > > action when enough of us see a need to do so.
> >
> >   The only possible way to avoid becoming a slave of the corporate
> >   state, which is now being swiftly organized on a global scale, is
> >   through the collective action of the people and their community leaders.
> >   The failure to "see a need to do so" is an admission of the
> >   disastrous want of community leadership we are witness to in this forum.
> >

> Most of us see a need for AFCN as a vehicle of communication between us
> and as an instrument of collective action for our mutual benefit.  AFCN
> will not succeed if it is not responsive to our collective needs.

  Placing the burden on AFCN is erroneous.  It is not a new entity,
  which is needed, but a new spirit of community with a viable
  process that encourages and facilitates meaningful participation
  by all affected constituencies.  The gross failure to participate
  in the instant dialogue should be a signal for renewed effort,
  not another dance of avoidance.

> >      But what more oft, in nations grown corrupt, and by their
> >      vices brought to servitude, than to love bondage more
> >      than liberty--Bondage with ease than strenuous liberty--
> >

> This last statement is laughable.  No where have I proposed "turning
> over control to AFCN."  Openness will insure that we (the collective we)
> are in control.  Openness will insure that neither you, nor I, nor the
> ominous them (whoever they might be) will dominate.
>
> Never before has there been a technology more inherently democratic than
> the Internet.  Fortunately for both of us, it is no more possible to shut
> you up than it is to silence me.

  The jokes on you, on all of us, dear friend.  Our democracy is in
  shambles and people keep pretending that all is well.  The openness
  of AFCN is irrelevant.  What is crucial is the strenuous participation
  by all the important stakeholders.  This dialogue addressed to one of
  the most important stakeholder groups, and with their tacit agreement,
  has failed pathetically.  The proper response is not more avoidance but
  creative engagement.

  The highly talented individuals in this conference can certainly do
  better than they have.  Let's try again and again until we get it
  right.  Surely you do not want to just give up.  What do you all say?

Vigdor Schreibman - FINS <[log in to unmask]>
[Browse the new Fins Information Age Library,
now located at URL: http://sunsite.utk.edu/FINS/]