LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  September 1997, Week 2

COMMUNET September 1997, Week 2

Re: AFCN

Phil Lauro <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Sep 1997 00:33:15 -0400

At 05:28 PM 9/11/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I have been on the road, my apologies for the delay in replying.
>
>My perspective on our "recent history", to pick up on where Amy & Steve
>left off:
>
>[This whole process BTW would make for a truly amazing and engaging project
>for a sociologist, if anyone wants to contact one ;-) ]

I employ one.  He works with the social anthropologist. But I'm not in the
mood for being accused of being negative, so I won't share what they have
to say about recent dialogs on this list.

>Upon launching this AFCN Initiative, rather than simply going ahead and
>writing the Bylaws and Articles and implementing the "AFCN" that our small
>planning group was envisioning, we made a very conscious decision to take
>some time and expand the "planning group", and expand the vision.  I as
>"acting director" personally made, and continue to make, every effort to
>encourage and broaden participation in what we are doing.  We formed a 65+
>person Advisory Group, and over the past couple of months have together
>identified open issues, discussed all sides, collaboratively developed
>materials, and made them publicly available (such as those regarding "what
>kind of organization", available at

65 wow, how many users does that represent.  I'd say 65.

>http://bcn.boulder.co.us/afcn/planning/org-dev/, and our "definition of
>community networking", at http://bcn.boulder.co.us/afcn/cn/).

speaking for all of our  "definitions" or just the 65?

>However, meanwhile, Vigdor was expressing the belief that, despite our best
>attempts, he personally did not believe our process was as truly inclusive
>or as ideally democratic as it should be.

You see Vidgor, someone besides me understands you.

>He shared what seemed to me like
>the seeds of some powerful concepts with this group.  I asked him if he
>would try to _apply_ those concepts to what we are trying to do, which he
>agreed to do, and we agreed that he would facilitate a longer-term
>"Envisioning" process, in parallel to the shorter-term creating of AFCN
>processes that were already under way.
>
>And also "meanwhile", Ken Stokes expressed the desire to have a discussion
>regarding CN business models.  Despite this being something that I
>personally had thought we would get to once AFCN was a "reality",  the
>urgency of the issue made me want to assist in getting this discussion
>launched asap.
>
>So, in addition to continuing to work with our 65+ person Advisory Group
>and our Steering Committee, researching all the myriad issues regarding
>"what kind of organization", developing a business plan, working with our
>graphic designer on a logo, starting to plan our products & services,
>starting to plan a Members Conference, working on proposals for operational
>funding, interviewing eight attorneys, giving talks, replying to numerous
>e-mail and phone call queries...

You know I worked wit a steering committee of "experts once".  The vision
destroyed them in the most literal sense of the word.  In fact, they were a
hinderance, that in hindsight, is becoming more obvious to more people.

>I worked with Vigdor, Ken, and David to
>create an interim AFCN discussion area on the Twin Cities Freenet, where
>Vigdor would facilitate an Envisioning conference, Ken would lead the
>discussion regarding business models, and anyone else could feel free to
>start any discussions they chose.  In every ensuing AFCN Update, I
>described the discussion areas, and encouraged people to participate.
>Whenever someone wrote or called asking about what we were doing and how
>they could participate, I mentioned the discussion areas in addition to the
>mailing lists.
>
>And now, because there has not been the participation that they had hoped,
>rather than persist and try to be persuasive and engage participation
>themselves (how often have we  seen posts by either one of them towards
>this end?), Vigdor and Ken are both deciding to cast the blame on AFCN
>somehow? This is truly something.  And not only that, Ken tells us how he
>actually removed the material he posted (which I did notice, BTW, but I
>assumed you were reworking it and would be reposting it later) due to, and
>I quote, "a deafening silence punctuated only by a few painfully naive
>retorts"?  Way to persevere, Ken.    Neither Vigdor nor Ken has written me
>much less picked up the phone and _called_ me regarding any of this
>dissatisfaction, BTW.  Nah, why do that and actually try to address
>whatever the given issue is, when one can hurl unfounded insults and try to
>cast an amorphous "negativity" here on Communet.

Why indeed.  This is the lot of "steering committees and concensus groups".
 This was all predicated.  The AFCN is to blame and Vidgor, "you were an
idiot" (sorry guy) to think the "self-proclaimed experts"  would be any
different on-line then they are in the real world..

>[Where is that sociologist? ;-) ]
>

>The bottom line on all this, IMHO:
>
>AFCN is in its final stages of becoming "official", and already there has
>begun a collaborative identifying, discussing and addressing of issues,
>resulting in collaboratively developed 1st drafts of resources.
>
>AFCN will definitely not be for everybody.

But it will be the voice of community networking, uh huh, uh huh!

>Some will be more content to
>sit in the sidelines and offer overly-idealistic commentary and/or
>unfounded criticism, rather than actually get (and stay) involved and
>attempt to _do_ something.

I make a living building big systems, my development platform has six
clustered machines.  I plan and coordinate projects across four states now.
 We do everything on-line.  All my people work out of their houses.  We
have devlopment partnerships with 2 major corporations and are developing
two more.

Over idealistic - I don't think so, on the sidelines, you and your AFCN are
overly impressed with yourselves.  You're not on the cutting edge, your not
even in the game.  You're cast from the same stones that brought us the
welfare system in the first place.  You people don't have a clue, let alone
a vision of what cyberville is all about.

>Each person is of course free to decide for themselves what they want to do.

Damn right and don't forget it.

>And, BTW, we do not expect the skies to open up and angels with harps to
>descend upon us when we launch.  Indeed perhaps the better AFCN does its
>"job", the more invisible "it" will actually be.  It is not the
>"organization" itself that will matter, it is the _association_ of
>_members_...  and this has already begun to happen, and continues to
>strengthen every week.

I'll be keeping you in site.  You never turn your back on a snake.

>Many thanks to those who are helping to make this Association a reality,
>and to all who have called or written to express their support.
>

>Cheers,
Phil