]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  September 1997, Week 2

COMMUNET September 1997, Week 2

Re: Social Service Agencies (was "Re: AFCN")

Susan Myrland <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:23:22 -0700

>The ISPs I've worked with can be very cooperative in speech, but often
>require a long delay in response time, even when called. How have you
>gained the positive rapport for very good response time & service?

We selected a midsized local company (MillenniaNet) so we're a fairly good
$ account for them; we pay slightly higher than average dial-up rate
($25/month for the unlimited accounts + $3/month for each email account);
we include them in our promotions, recommend them constantly, and credit
them at the agencies so that when staffers leave & want to set up their own
account they know where to call.  And, we frequently thank them for the
good service, so they know it matters to us.

Now I'm trying to find a way to pay them for site-based tech support, since
most of the questions and issues relate back to their software.

>Does this mean a proactive approach of contacting participants regularly is
>called for or do you think this is overly intrusive?

No, you absolutely need constant contact, which sometimes takes the form of
coaching & support and sometimes a very gentle harassment.  ; )   It's just
that the time involved to do this can prevent you from moving forward in
other areas, like developing content -- which is why our web page is still
a prototype.

It's difficult to determine when to give up on an individual or agency.
One Exec Director took about a year to get on board, even though his staff
was happily working away.  After a couple of one-on-one training sessions
with him, he suddenly got religion when he saw how he could attach
documents to email, especially proposals.  Email and attachments are often
the keys that work, btw.  Others continue to say they _want_ their email
accounts, want to participate, but don't.  We've had to pull a couple of
computers/accounts, which is painful and costly.  The agency feels they've
failed, plus they paid to install the phone line.  We ease this by
providing some type of trade-off in another area.

>we're hiring a Project Coordinator and several Community Technology
>Consultants (CTCs) who will help individual agencies troubleshoot
>networking & internet access problems like a roving MIS & training team.

Expect to deal with a hodgepodge of platforms -- lots of 286s and 386s --
dust, dirt and inadequate phone infrastructure (many agencies are on
Merlin-type phone systems that don't provide an outside line, and you'll
need to have new lines brought in) -- and a vast gaping training hole.
You will need to set a limit on the amount of time your circuit-riders can
spend at each site, because the needs tend to grow & grow.

(Is Compumentor working in your area?  If so, they might be a source of
some tech consulting help.)

FYI - often the front desk person in a CBO is the one who most needs a
computer and connection, because s/he provides information and referrals,
and many United Ways are putting this info online.  There can be high
turnover & low skill in this position, and its sometimes overlooked when
the agency develops its tech plan.  We connected the Exec Director, usually
his or her AA, the funding/grants person, one or more project managers,
front desk, and anybody else who asked.

Training - where will you do this?  There are advantages and disadvantages
to onsite vs. offsite locations.

"Train the trainer" models generally don't work in this context  (I know,
there will be some exceptions).  Most staff are overworked & underpaid,
maybe not that confident about their own skills, uncomfortable being
labeled the computer authority in addition to their regular jobs.  Be
prepared to bring in someone from outside, and consider recruiting people
from the client base or community.  We found six young adults at the
continuing education center, gave them intensive training and placed them
at our sites & circuit-riding.  They provide ongoing tech support, training
(in Spanish and English), and supervise after-school programs.  It's built
their skills & self-esteem & greatly expanded our reach.

(A
>volunteer group will screen applicants from a pool of 140 agencies and
>provide initial support/guidance regarding the applicants goals for using
>the tech we'll provide.

Try to connect agencies that are already communicating or working together
on a common goal.  When they can use the technology to do what they're
already doing, it speeds integration.  This also determines which staff
members need to be recruited -- if Rita at Agency A works with Jose at
Agency B, make sure they both get connected.  This can be a problem if Rita
is afraid of computers!

Require that the site commit some funds to the project.  Hard cash, not
just staff time.  They need to feel invested.

As quickly as possible, get a listserve going so that people can post &
receive mail.

>A big question is how much support do we provide
>for hardware, or do we allow the agencies themselves to take care of that.

We pay for the community access computer while they provide the staff
terminals, but we'll pay for an external modem to connect it.  LatinoNet
donated several, saving us some money.  External modems are a little
friendlier for new users -- they can check the lights for diagnostics.

Our policy is not to pay for internal parts (almost every computer needs a
memory upgrade), and to provide tech support for Internet-related
questions, but to refer general operational questions elsewhere.  It's
sometimes hard to draw the line here.  A good resource is the Microsoft web
page -- answers questions & helps them practice skills.

>Right now gateway's offer of 3 yr onsite service is very appealing. >

I'm leery of multi-year commitments in telecommunications.  Then again, I
lived with a guy for 3 years before marrying him.  Maybe it's just me.

>Marketing/fundraising will be handled by the Project manager and our
>volunteer board.

How much $ do you need to raise & what commitments do you have so far?
This can be very time-consuming, to put it mildly.

The mission of Sound Connections is to develop an
>integrated human services information network to link agencies and people
>in need by providing information resources, hardware and software, Internet
>access and technical support.

Ah yes, you sound just like us 16 months ago!  Broad and general, tackling
access/ training/ content.  Good for a mission statement but you need some
very specific goals, for example:

- To develop a listserve or web page for project managers in local
welfare-to-work initiatives
- To develop an online conference for Exec Directors dealing with youth issues
- To provide staff training in web navigation and email (specify software &
platform, or you end up having to train on several different programs)
- To publish online content on funding sources  (what will you create new
vs. show people how to find what's out there?  Let's say your city gov't
has some statistical data online -- if it's not what your agencies need,
will you try to create new content or lean on the city to change their web
page?)

Pick 1 or 2, not all of the above.  Focus on a subsection of the human
services mass -- what interests and motivates the job placement person can
be totally different from what interests and motivates the healthcare or
crisis or youth counselor.  And, when you say "people in need," are you
addressing both staff and community members?  They are very different, to
the point of being divergent.

>If you have an outline of the areas you cover, that would be very helpful.

In general, what works/what doesn't in working with social service
agencies.  I gave 2 presentations on this, approx 90 minutes total, at the
National Assoc of Community Action Agencies conference last week.  90
minutes just barely scratched the surface & I was talking as fast as I
could!  (And I always put in a plug for AFCN ; )

Other aspects are -
*How staff needs differ from community needs
*Setting up a computer for community access
*Working with kids vs. working with adults
*Training issues - how, what, where

>Did you set up sites a few at a time or go through a single round for the
>15 agencies?

6 at first, then a few more at a time.

>I'd also love to know how
>you divided the pie of your resources between the various
>parts--hardware/software/planning&advising/training/support/fundraising,
>and where you had to shift things around to successfully move through
>implementation?

This would take some time to do justice, but in brief -- we underbudgeted
for people and overbudgeted for equipment, so we're shifting some monies
there.  The basic lesson learned is that you need *people and lots of 'em*,
especially to make the CBO sites "work."  Our classroom sites & youth
centers have an energy that drives integration -- the kids naturally
gravitate to the computers and as a result, the focus shifts to designing
suitable program activities, providing up-to-the-minute tech support &
dealing with security.  Our job-placement sites work pretty well, too, a
natural fit between the context & the computers.  The general social
service agencies, though, require effort on several fronts.

>I don't mean to exhaust you with
>questions--it is friday after all, and I can also follow up with you
>personally.

I have greatly benefited from the help and support on this list, so this is
my opportunity to give back.  Please do call me, though -- sometimes it's
easier to talk than type!

Susan

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Susan Myrland
Project Manager
The Inner-City Net / MAAC Project
1770 Fourth Avenue  San Diego, CA  92101
619 . 595 . 7073   phone
619 . 595 . 7077   fax

CHECK US OUT:  www.innercitynet.org

"The best candidates for online community are articulate people who are not
getting the attention they deserve."  Gail Williams @ The Well.