LISTSERV Archives

GEOCOSMO Home

GEOCOSMO  October 1997

GEOCOSMO October 1997

looking for a few students

Paul Bierman <[log in to unmask]>

In situ cosmogenic isotopes <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Oct 1997 20:19:13 -0400

Dear Colleague,

I am writing in the hope that you may know of a highly motivated student
interested in pursuing a MS degree at the University of Vermont next year.
If you know such a student, would you please share this note with them.

We have recently received NSF CAREER funding to support a four-year project
to investigate the timing and distribution of episodic Holocene
sedimentation events throughout New England.  It is our hypothesis that
these sedimentation events reflect the geomorphic and hydrologic impact of
large storms.  14-C dating of these sedimentation events will be used to
understand the timing of accelerated hillslope erosion over the past 10,000
years including the influence of human settlement and land use.  The
project will involve two interrelated components: trenching of small
alluvial fans and coring of ponds.  There will be significant field and
laboratory components including detailed stratigraphic logging, isotopic
and geochemical analyses.   Our initial results will appear this month
(October) in GSA Today.

Student support will include summer salary and teaching assistantships
during two academic years as well as support for travel to meetings.  There
will be at least four MS and four undergraduate students involved over the
duration of the project.  There are ramifications for and the potential to
expand project work toward understanding Holocene climate change.

We are looking for two motivated, inquisitive, and detail-oriented students
to begin work on this project during July or August 1998.  Prior experience
is less important than a demonstrated interest in surface processes, a
record of successful project completion, and the interest and ability to
work together on a project with both other students and faculty.

For those wishing to learn more about the project, there will be three
related presentations at the GSA meeting in Salt Lake City.

S. Brown will present a poster at Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology
(Posters) SPCC, Hall C, 8:00 AM, Brown, Sarah L.*, Bierman, Paul R.,
Mehrtens, Charlotte J., Lini, Andrea : EPISODIC INPUTS OF TERRESTRIAL
SEDIMENT TO A POST-GLACIAL MOUNTAIN LAKE

A. Lini will speak in the Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division
Symposium: Isotopes and Earth Surface Processes, SPCC, Ballroom AC, 10:40
AM   ISOTOPIC RECORDS IN LAKE SEDIMENTS AS INDICATORS FOR LANDSCAPE AND
BIOTIC RESPONSE TO HOLOCENE CLIMATE CHANGE

P. Bierman will speak on Thursday in  SPCC, 251 AB, 10:15 AM  Bierman, Paul
R.*, Lini, A. , Brown, S. , Davis, P. T., Zehfuss, P. : FANS AND POND
SEDIMENTS RECORD CONCURRENT EPISODES OF HILLSLOPE EROSION

To find out more about the University of Vermont, our Geology Program and
the faculty involved in this project, please visit our web page at
http://beluga.uvm.edu/geowww/geohome.html

To obtain application materials, please contact the Department Secretary,
Ms. Pat Frank, [log in to unmask]

Thanks!

Paul Bierman and Andrea Lini

Paul Bierman                            (802) 656-4411 (v)
Geology Department                      (802) 656-0045 (fax)
University of Vermont                   geomorphology, isotope geology,
Burlington, VT 05405                    water, paleoneutrons and old dirt
http://beluga.uvm.edu/geowww/paulbierman.html