]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  December 1997

SKIVT-L December 1997

Stowe 13DEC97 and Sugarbush 14DEC97 (a bit long and windy ;)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Skiing and snow reports <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Dec 1997 23:19:23 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

        On Saturday morning, it was off to Stowe for a few morning runs
with Dolph and Keelersan.  First Run was the good ol' (RidgeView - Sunrise
- Tyro - Crossover - North Slope ) to sample the powder on the sides/woods
and get stuff moving.  Now I know we've had it good, when packed powder on
the trails and 5 day old pow in the woods feels like second-rate skiing :)
Then we were off to Nosedive bypass/glades.  The situation there was
"well-tracked out", but the skiing was still good.  Lower Nosedive had
bumps on it for about the left-hand 2/3 with the right hand side groomed
flat.  Some pretty nice lines in there, and without a super steep pitch,
it could be a nice place to learn bumps if they leave them there.  Dolph
was hankerin' to try out the skivt waterfall so we took him down and he
had a lot of fun.  It's a bit packed out now, so the final drop is bigger,
especially on the skiers right with a nice air of 10 feet or so and a
sloped landing; happy knees.  Finished off with Perry-Merrill and some
associated woods; bottom of the trail had a bit of hard snow due to some
making, but only a real hassle in the section below the last Gondolier
connection.  It looks like they got some nice snow on Sunday, so
everything should be sweet again for a bit.

        Sunday was bring a toy day at Sugarbush and ski for $25.00, so off
I headed with a crew of E, Mango and Keelersan.  I anticipated a cold
windy day, and although the cold wasn't as bad as I had thought, the wind
was whippin' enough to close most of the lifts.  We arrived a little
before 9:00 (roads were getting a bit hairy and the snow was DUMP-IN!).
After getting set with Sugarcards, Toys and tickets etc. everyone headed
over to Super Bravo to to find that it had just been put on wind hold.
Ahhh, that wasn't wholly unexpected so we headed over to the Gate House
Quad, admiring the rapidly-accumulating snow all over our clothes, skis,
the trails and everything. Mango and I spied fresh snow on Pushover Chute
and many a whoop and holler were heard as we hit knee-deep on the left
side and blasted out onto Pushover bringing white spray with us.  Back
down to the quad again and we could see that the line was building as
everyone on the mountain was heading to the Gatehouse lift due to wind
closures.  The wind had basically freshened up Pushover Chute again so we
repeated and stopped at the top of Slowpoke which was being bombarded with
the snowguns.  From what we could see at least, it was virtually trackless
and we decided to tolerate the guns for a chance at some fresh lines on
the left.  The reward was nice; the left side was out of reach of the guns
and filled in by the wind for a sweet surprise.  I knew the line for the
gatehouse was going to be getting long at this point so we headed through
the untracked Sugarbear Forest (the kids shouldn't mind sharing freshies
with us) and down to the Village Double.  No line at the Village Double,
and despite it's only 290' of vertical and "We make Castlerock look like a
rocket-powered superlift" speed, it served up some nice untracked for us.
We caught a few runs and watched the line at the Gatehouse grow. Practiced
a few powder 8 runs to keep ourselves entertained in the 3 inches of
freshies, and I was psyched to find that my shape-skis gave a real nice
float.  Finally we figured it was time for some food and finding out what
else was open on the mountain.  Inside the lodge, we watched as Super
Bravo stood still and even disappeared at times in whitout conditions.  I
checked at the ticket window and found that 'bush norht was all closed,
but Castlrock was open! Ha! The Irony of it all!  Nearly every lift closed
but Castlerock is chugging along, protected from the wind.  I put on
regular boards in preparation for rocks and bumps and we had a nice one
down Castlerock Run. Sweet bumplines, nice and tight like you dream about
with barely a rock.  Now Mango was psyched for bumps, but I'd been eyeing
some lines off of the Gatehouse that I knew he'd LOVE to hit.  Next run it
was off to the Hot Shot woods.  First line through and BAM! Mango finds a
waist high drift and smacks right on through.  Mt. Mansfield data says
13:1 powder ratio for a nice light 7.6% H2O.  Plenty of good ol' knee high
stuff all around down to hot shot.  Mango was goin' nuts at this point,
the powder buzz was on and he couldn't move fast enough to get to the next
line.  Well, I couldn't disappoint him so in we drop from Overshot and
Yeeehaaaaa! the woods open right up and there are lines galore.  Mango
rips it up, and to think he couldn't ski powder to save his life a year or
so ago; just goes to show what practice does to ya ;)  The next two runs
are in the same tradition and E says we are suddenly different people
after that last run. Everything is fun, everything is loud, everything is
action!  Life be so DAMN GOOD!  Finally it was back to Castlerock for one
more run down the liftline.  Snow was sweet in all but the steepest
places; I'll envy the folks going monday to a basically untracked
mountain, enjoy that snow and keep warm.

                                                J.Spin