LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  January 1998

SKIVT-L January 1998

Re: Massif/Sutton/Jay Part II

Marc Guido <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Skiing and snow reports <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Jan 1998 12:01:46 PST

Eloquently quoth the Telenaut:

>The snow is dumping, they're charging
>full price, and they've closed off everything on the mountain except 1
>lift and four blue square trails. I can't believe it.

Mais oui!  C'est Mont Ste.-Anne.  How can you open it if you don't groom
it into a pool table first?!

>one, La Pointue, has this
>cool little super-steep peak to start off

That was a neat bump shot 2 Springs ago.  Just to give you confirmation
of how careful they are about opening something, this looked to be in
excellent shape when I was there, and they were busy all day pushing
whales of man-made around and grooming it out.  And that was on the
26th!!!  Dan, if I've figured this out correctly, you were there on the
30th!!

>Woods skiing at Massif? I heard later from a patroller that there are a
>lot of secret trails, but they all escaped my eye. You certainly
>couldn't just wing it. The trees and brush were extremely dense.

Very true.  Two seasons ago during my first visit, I found some
interesting lines to the skiers' left of the summit double - read my
First Tracks!! report for that story
(http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/hill/82/massif.htm)(or is it
.html?!).  Now, however, I see that it's been added to the trail map as
"La Sous-Bois", which literally translated means "in the woods," or "The
Glades."

>(Only blues though. Quebec law
>says no black diamond night skiing, although I don't think any blacks
>were ever open that day.)

I don't know who sold you that crock, Dan, but it's apparently not true
- a quick check of the night skiing trails at Stoneham proves otherwise.

>The 6 seater gondola was open

Actually, it's an 8-passenger Doppelmayer.

>Ste Anne is a ski factory, an efficient
>place for a lot of people to ski and probably perfect for the aspiring
>crowd maintenance engineer who wants to pick up a few pointers.

Or a great place to shop for a new Pontiac.  Enjoy the ads on the back
of your lift ticket, then check out the spiffy new models parked on the
snow in front of the base lodge.  <gag>

Speaking of Ste.-Anne tix, that Ski Data system is a major PITA.  You've
gotta shove your poles under your arm as you try to stuff your ticket
into the automatic reader, then jam yourself and your gear through the
turnstile.  Especially on the gondola, where you of course were carrying
your skis as well, this got really old really quick.

>The place
>(Vieux Quebec) just glistens and sparkles in the snow.

And I especially noticed that this holiday season.  Virtually everything
seemed decked out in white mini-lights, and in combination with the
cobblestone streets and ample snow cover, its charm was undeniable.

>Along the esplanade looking out over the river

La Terrasse Dufferin

>Teenagers were lining up to race
>rented toboggans down a pretty steep, manmade, laned course.

This was the first that I'd seen those up close in the winter.  I'd seen
them in the summer only previously.  It looked like a blast, but I've
been hesitant about those wooden sleds ever since busting a femur on one
years ago.

>People were
>out walking. I could get used to a place like that.

As could I.  Were I fluently bilingual, I might have accepted Patricia's
suggestion that we settle in Quebec following our marriage, but then the
pathetic salaries and exhorbitant taxation would've brought me back to
reality.

>For a holiday vacation, I think staying in town, as opposed to at the
>resorts, was a good move. The rates were discounted and negotiable, not
>automatically doubled. (And the Canadian $, the loony, is an automatic
>30% off.)

Just some more sample purchases this trip to support Dan's position
regarding the exchange rate (prices in American dollars):

- a 2-rm suite at Comfort Suites, $47/night
- a pair of leather wingtips at a mall shoe store, $27
- Le Massif lift tix, $11
- Full-priced tix at Ste.-Anne, $29
- Dinner for 4 at a trendy crepe bistro, including drinks, tax & tip,
  $57
- Stoneham full priced lift tix, $22

Furthermore, sales taxes (the combination of the GST and PST) total 15%,
but Americans are eligible for a full refund.  You may obtain this via
one of two methods:

- Stop at the Ammex Duty-Free Shop along the border at I-91, I-89 or
I-87, complete the form along with your receipts and receive an instant
cash refund, or
- Apply by mail to Revenue Canada in Ottawa following your return, and
receive a check by mail in American funds

Eligible purchases include goods carried out of the country, and
lodging.  Food, services, or gasoline purchases don't count (lift
tickets, alas, fall into the services category).  You have to have a
minimum of $7 GST due to be refunded ($100-worth of purchases), but
let's face it: a hotel room nearly puts you there.  And if you don't
reach the threshold, you can bankroll your receipts to combine with
those on subsequent trips (the latter requires you to apply by mail
only).

>On New Year's Eve, we drove down to Montreal (Marc G's directions
shaved
>a half hour off the trip) where the atmosphere was entirely different,
>mmuch more hustle and bustle.

The two cities are polar opposites, but both charming.  Quebec City is
very quaint and European in flavor, and Montreal is very cosmopolitan
and continental.  Both immediately make you feel like you're much, much
further from home than you are.

In either city, you can park your car in the worst part of town at 2 am,
walk around the block by yourself, and never look over your shoulder
once.  You can eat off the sidewalk, it's so clean.  And New York has
little over Montreal from a cultural perspective.

Some people feel that the Quebecois are arrogant when dealing with
Anglophones, and much of that is true thanks to years of manipulation by
separatist politicians.  However, learning one simple French phrase
which simply states that you're sorry, that you don't speak French, you
only speak English, will often cause that wall to melt away.  Besides,
once they realize that you're from America and not Ontario, you're
instantly three shades better, as Ontarians are little more than pond
scum in their eyes - again, thanks to those stupid politicians and
little else.  They aren't exactly fond of that huge, anglophone cultural
parked right on their southern doorstep, either, as they see it as a
threat to their culture, but it's funny that even the most ardent
francophone would love to have a one-way ticket south.  The anglophone
culture doesn't seem to bother them, as long as it's not in their
precious Quebec.

If there are any Quebecois lurkers on this list, I've probably pissed
all of them off in one fell swoop.  Sorry for what may seem like
sweeping generalizations and stereotyping, I just call 'em like I see
'em.  And with a Quebecois spouse, I've got a window with a pretty
decent view.

PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS: Performance from NetAddress was abysmal.
Please reply to [log in to unmask] - don't automatically reply to this
address, it's merely a forwarding service for me!

Marc Guido              Jay Peak (VT) Ski Patrol (inactive)
Sarasota, FL
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/8131/gallery.htm

First Tracks!! Online Ski Mag:
http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/hill/82/firsttracks.html