MEDLIB-L January 1998, Week 4

(FW) Best Doctors methodology

Cathy Wolfson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 16:19:32 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

Hello, Medlibbers.

After following the recent thread about "Best Doctors" and "60 Minutes" I
visited the web site for "Best Doctors" and sent an email with some
questions about methodology, how they really gather their info, how they
verify it, and strongly suggesting that they visit libraries.  Below is a
reply, clarifying some of the methodology.  It sounds like they may be
somewhat more careful than some of the other "Who's who" and "Best" ilk.
I do have to say, though, that I agree with some of the other medlibbers
who said they are left uneasy by "best" listings.  I have found that some
of our lay patrons, if referred to a given doctor, and he/she is not in
the "Best Doctors", will refuse the referral, and instead spend quite a
bit of money to travel elsewhere when they could have stayed in the
comfort of their own homes and obtained adequate to excellent care.  There
are many many hard-working and fine practioners in this country who never
make it to "best" lists, for a variety of reasons.

But, after reading the below message, I feel a little bit better about
"Best Doctors".  Read on...

--Cathy

P.S. Have a great weekend!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:12:55 -0500
From: Lucy Stec <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

Thank you for your e-mail of 1-22-98 regarding the methodology of The Best
Doctors in America.  A description of our method follows.

Best Doctors

SURVEY METHODOLOGY

Survey Process Description

Woodward/White conducts its survey every two years.  For each survey, it
contacts every doctor on the current list and asks the same question: "If you
or a loved one needed a doctor in your specialty and you couldn't treat them
yourself, to whom would you refer them?"

Every doctor has the opportunity to both comment (confidentially) on the other
doctors on the current list and to suggest additions to that list for further
review.  New names are constantly added to the pool, each undergoing the same
stringent and exhaustive evaluation from their peers.  Some new nominees
receive consensus support, some do not.  Woodward/White contacts those nominees
who do and asks them both to vote on other nominated doctors and to make
additional nominations.  No name is ever removed from the list on the basis of
a single negative vote, nor is any name added on the basis of a single
nomination.

The result is a constant refinement of both the voting pool and the nominee
pool.  Each time a poll is conducted, the list is sifted, refined, and improved
- both by adding the names of worthy doctors who might have been missed in
previous polls and by removing doctors who have retired, do not see patients,
or for any other reason do not measure up in the eyes of their peers.  This
process results in better representation and more solid consensus.  Plus, the
broadness and depth of the voting pool help eliminate the biases and cronyism
that often mar smaller-scale surveys.

Since 1981, Woodward/White has produced seven editions of The Best Lawyers in
AmericaO  and three editions of The Best Doctors in America using this unique,
peer-review methodology.  In the process, it has developed special software to
correct for methodological biases: for example, by detecting and correcting for
suspect voting patterns, and by weighing votes according to the scores and
other votes of the voter.  In its fourth nationwide survey of the medical
profession, currently underway, Woodward/White has already interviewed over
35,000 of the country's top doctors and processed well over 2,500,000
individual evaluations.

Why the Best Doctors Survey Process is Unique:

Unlike most other "best" lists, a simple mail-in questionnaire is not used to
survey participants.  Woodward/White employs a combination of high technology
polling and person-to-person phone interviewing in which doctors are asked to
rate the clinical skills of their peers.  Specially-developed software allows
Woodward/White to fax customized ballots to each of the doctors in the voting
pool.  These ballots change daily as responses are returned and recorded.  This
process is supplemented with in-depth phone interviews which allow editors to
ask more detailed questions regarding a physician's practice and allows doctors
to comment more openly and candidly.

While doctors are permitted to nominate physicians within their own hospitals
or medical practices, their votes for such colleagues are statistically
weighted to count less than votes for physicians from outside their hospital or
practice group.  This adjustment minimizes the possibility that doctors will
promote colleagues from their own hospitals or communities over doctors with
superior skill and experience from elsewhere.

Doctors who are nominated because of their membership in an informal "referral
loop" are subjected to the unbiased votes of scores of doctors not in the loop.

All of the voting is strictly confidential.  Thus, physicians who are polled
are not subject to the institutional, professional, or community pressures that
often influence individual referrals.

Over the years, the names of hundreds of doctors have been removed from Best
Doctors' listings as part of the ongoing revision process.  Some, of course,
have died; others retired or moved into private industry or government service.
 Still others have devoted themselves so exclusively to research or have
curtailed their activities so completely that it is no longer appropriate to
include them on what is essentially a referral list.  A few simply do not
receive the necessary consensus support of their peers to be included on the
list.

Doctors are not notified of their inclusion on the list until after the survey
process is completed.  Unlike other "best" lists, Woodward/White does not
require that doctors pay a fee or make a purchase to be included.

This is the full-time job of Woodward/White.  Unlike most surveys of the
medical profession, especially those that appear in the popular media, which
are done by part-time "stringers" on a fixed budget and a tight schedule,
Woodward/White's staff of 20 works year-around, at a cost of more than $2
million annually, surveying and interviewing thousands of physicians to develop
and refine its lists.

It is for all these reasons that Woodward/White's referral lists are the only
lists of their kind that have been accepted in courts of law across the U.S. as
evidence of a physician's professional ability.

Because our surveys are so extensive and intensive, we must carefully manage
the essential time constraints of completing a survey to make the lists
available for use.
As I'm sure you know, our lists are of superior CLINICIANS, doctors who see
patients and care for them with excellence.  Votes and/or comments from the
doctors participating in our polls reflect the research, publications, clinical
practice and position in the medical community which impact his/her CLINICAL
abilities.  By obtaining information from the best doctors in the country about
the best doctors in the country, we indirectly receive the ancillary
information you mention as being so important to the identification of superior
doctors, and we receive it in a timely fashion.

Thank you very much for your interest.  Please let me know if you have
questions or concerns.

Lucienne P. Stec
Senior Vice-President for Operations

Catherine L. Wolfson                        Health Sciences Library
Information Services Librarian              University of Arizona
[log in to unmask]                   1501 N. Campbell Ave.
Tel:  520-626-2927                          P.O. Box 245079
Fax:  520-626-2922                          Tucson, AZ  85724-5079