ISOGEOCHEM March 1998

job postings at UMCP

Alan Jay Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Mar 1998 09:53:06 -0500

Dear colleagues,

        Following are job listings for three tenure track faculty positions
in Earth System Science at the University of Maryland.  The Department of
Geology is hoping that one of these positions will be filled by a
multidisciplinary geologist/geochemist/modeler who will gain tenure through
the department, and who will interact with active researchers in long and
short term global climatic change.  Although the deadline is March 1st, I've
been told this is flexible and applications will be accepted for at least a
couple more weeks.  If you are interested or know of a colleague or
graduating student who might apply, I urge you to do so soon.  Interested
parties should also check out the department's website.

http://www.geol.umd.edu/

Thanks for your interest,

Jay Kaufman

>THE EARTH SYSTEM SCIENCE INTER-DISCIPLINARY CENTER (ESSIC)
>UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, COLLEGE PARK
>THREE TENURED/TENURE-TRACK POSITIONS
>
>THE MISSION OF ESSIC
>Earth System Science represents a comprehensive integrated approach to the
>study of the physical and biological functioning of the Earth.  ESSIC's
>mission is to carry out pre-eminent research and teaching programs in Earth
>System Science that use measurements from space complemented by
>sub-orbital, ground-based and laboratory measurements, underpinned by
>theoretical investigations and carried out within a framework of Earth
>System models.  Its activities will include consideration of the various
>components of the Earth System and their variability resulting from
>interactions among these components at time-scales from a few days to
>millions of years and at spatial scales from the local to global.  The work
>of the Center will include physical, chemical, biological and human
>dimensions of the Earth System.  Its work will be supportive of NASA's
>Mission to Planet Earth as well as the broader US Global Change Research
>Program.
>
>The new Center has been recently formed through collaboration between the
>University of Maryland and NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC).
>Three tenured/tenure-track positions are available, one of which will be
>filled by the Director of the Center.  All three appointees will be
>expected to develop vigorous research and teaching programs in Earth System
>Science.  Tenure will rest in the appropriate academic department related
>to the successful candidates' expertise.
>
>DIRECTOR
>The Director will provide scientific leadership of the Center and will be
>responsible for the day-to-day operation of ESSIC.  The appointment is
>expected to be made at the Full Professor level.  The Director will provide
>leadership in developing the research and teaching programs of the Center
>especially in encouraging collaborative activities within and between the
>University and GSFC. The successful candidate shall have an established
>national and international stature in Earth System Science research, as
>evidenced by an outstanding record of recent publications and competitive
>research funding, and substantial experience in managing inter-disciplinary
>research and teaching programs.
>
>TWO TENURED/TENURE TRACK POSITIONS
>Candidates for two further positions are sought at the junior and senior
>professorial levels.  The successful candidates should have already
>established a strong research record in Earth System Science and they will
>be expected to develop innovative research and teaching programs.  They
>will be expected to show considerable initiative in developing
>collaborations with other scientists especially at the University and GSFC.
>
>The University of Maryland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment
> [...]
Alan Jay Kaufman

Assistant Professor of Geology

Department of Geology                 [log in to unmask]
University of Maryland                http://www.geol.umd.edu
College Park                          Direct line: (301) 405 0395
MD 20742-4211                         Dept. office: (301) 405 4082
USA                                   Dept. fax: (301) 314 9661