LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  March 1998

SKIVT-L March 1998

Killington 1MAR98

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Skiing and snow reports <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Mar 1998 14:20:29 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

        I called Killington and found out that the refuse to abuse $15
tickets were available at Snowshed, so the plan was to get there around
8:00ish and hope that the crowds would still be small.  I awoke Sunday
morning to the sound of rain, and I hoped that although it wasn't snow,
the day would be nice and soft.  Headed off in Mango's car with Bennett,
myself and E along for the ride.
        Ticket acquisition went off without a hitch and we then went to
park up at the main Killington lot.  The whole basin was socked in, and by
the time we got up near the lodge, I found out that the new Gondola did
not start at all where the old double did, it's right out in front of the
lodge almost, real easy to get to from the parking lot.  We hopped on and
disappeared into the mist; it would have been nice to look around and see
how the trails were doing, but no such luck.  The fun part about being at
a mountain you don't know very well on a foggy day is that everywhere you
go is a surprise.  On our first run, we simply wandered where our skis
took us and when we stopped at a lift finally, I took out the map to have
a look where we were.  It felt like we were near the Superstar area, just
going by the lefts and rights that we took but it turned out we were over
at the Skye Peak quad near Bear, hehe, what a blast!
        Now on a normal day I usually stay clear of the steep and groomed
ice sheets, but with today's soft snow, everything was edgeable so we
decided to check out Devil's Fiddle, which seemed to be groomed out last
time I was there.  On our way, I stopped to discuss our route and make
sure we could get there and an ambassador helped us out.  He said we
couln't get there from where we were without another lift, but I knew it
was possible.  Even though he didn't give us the exact directions, he was
still helpful and cheerful so we thanked him, I pulled out of sight with
the group and then told them that he was not exactly correct and that we'd
still head for the Fiddle.  Worked our way over and found it bumped up.
Bennet and Mango headed down while I traversed back through the woods with
E to find something a little less steep and/or not so bumped up.  Sticky
snow in the woods slowed us a bit and we eventually met back up with the
guys at Skye Peak quad; they'd already started on their lunch while they
waited :)
        We then went and did a few runs near the new K1 gondola, Double
Dipper which is often a slanted ice-rink, was quite fun with the soft snow
and steepness.  The fusion zones looked great, but where they weren't
tracked, the snow was just too soft to really make solid turns.  During
the midday, we worked our way around Snowdon and Ram's head, finding lots
of fun snow, minimal crowds and GREAT bump lines on North Star.  I could
see on Rams Head where there are trails coming from above that the current
lift doesn't reach.  Will those be available again when the Pico connect
is done?  The fog had really started to break up in many places and the
increased vibilty was nice.
        We headed back to Killington Peak again and after another fun run
led by Mango through various trails and interesting side chutes in the
woods, we found ourselves at Sunrise mountain.  I'd never been down to the
trails below here, and there were some blacks and blues on the map so away
we went.  Of course we first had to negotiate Juggernaut Too, and as
usual, I got the crap poured on ME about how flat it was.  Bah!  What's
wrong with taking 5-10 minutes to slow down a bit and take a look at the
woods with no rush.  I kept telling Bennett that there were steeper trails
down here, but he jokingly gave me hell anyway.  "We're at the bottom of
the mountain now, that's it, no blacks down here!"  Finally, we passed
under the Northeast passage chair and it wasn't running, which got us a
bit worried, but it started up in a minute or so and we could hear it
running from a distance.  We caught some nice turns down Noreaster, which
was a groomed blue with nobody on it at all, which I think may often be
the case over there at Sunrise, it seemed real mellow.  Unfortunately, the
4-5 black trails were close due to what looked like a combination of thin
cover/ tree damage.  I didn't notice too much tree damage in general
(although E said that she saw some around) but there was certainly some
down at the lower section of Sunrise.  The elevation there is so low (down
around 1000') that it must be tough to keep those blacks open for much of
the season unless they were to blow a lot of snow.  Anyway, it was a fun
3000'+ vertical run with a big variety of terrain.
        We next worked our way back to the main mounain and did a couple
of runs on Superstar to finish off the day.  Superstar was nice and soft,
bumps were forming a bit and it was great to really dig in on the steep
sections.  We headed back home the Rt. 7 way with visions of Taco Bell in
our head and a continuation of the long-standing tradition.  Incredibly,
they were temporarily closed for some reason.  Doh! What a crime!  We had
to go with pizza instead.  Hopefully I'll be back in May for the Broken
Rib / Missing Tooth, can't wait to hit Superstar again.  My first time
mid-season at the big K in a while and I have to say it was a great one.
I think we lucked out that there were no crowds and soft snow, but I've
always had a good time there anyway.

                                                J.Spin