]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  March 1998, Week 4

MEDLIB-L March 1998, Week 4

! Here it is: NLM Director testifies before US Congress (fwd)

Webster Library <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:25:11 -0600

TEXT/PLAIN

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

Statement by:

Dr. Donald A.B. Lindberg
Director, National Library of Medicine

To:
House Appropriations Sub-Committee on Labor, HHS and Education

Date:
March 18, 1998

Subject:
Fiscal Year 1999 President's Budget Request for the National Library of
Medicine

Mr. Chairman and Members of the Committee:

I am pleased to present the President's budget request for the National
Library of Medicine (NLM) for Fiscal Year 1999.
The President in his FY 1999 budget has proposed that the NLM receive $171.3
million, an increase of $13.4 million over
the comparable 1998 appropriation. Including the estimated allocation for
AIDS, total support proposed for the NLM is
$174.7 million, an increase of $13.5 million over the 1998 appropriation.
Funds for the NLM efforts in AIDS research are
included within the NIH Office of AIDS Research budget request.

"Free MEDLINE"

I am proud to tell you the NLM has accomplished what I suggested to you last
year when I said "it might actually be possible
to offer MEDLINE without charge." This suggestion was echoed a week later in
the testimony of world renowned heart
surgeon Dr. Michael DeBakey, who chairs the NLM Board of Regents. It
actually happened less than 3 months later, on
June 26. Senators Arlen Specter and Tom Harkin provided a public forum for
the announcement that the NLM would
provide MEDLINE free to all users of the Internet and World Wide Web. Vice
President Gore did the ceremonial "first free
MEDLINE search." Successfully, I might add. A new feature introduced was the
ability to link a MEDLINE user who wishes
to get a full article directly to the home page of a number of medical
publishers, where articles may be viewed or ordered. So
far, about 100 journals are linked to MEDLINE and the number continues to
increase.

Today, the world's largest database of peer-reviewed medical information is
being queried more than 300,000 times each
day-more than a tenfold increase in less than a year. Who is doing all this
MEDLINE searching? The traditional users, of
course: doctors and other health professionals, librarians, scientists, and
students. They are delighted with the new (and free)
easy-to-use methods of access we have provided. But the more profound change
is that the public- consumers, patients,
parents, and other patient advocates-can now use MEDLINE to learn more about
their own health and about how the results
of medical research can affect it. This change has been fueled by widespread

publicity of the announcement, including items in
daily papers, weekly news magazines, consumer and other popular magazines,
and televised reports; there were even
episodes on NBC's "ER" and CBS's "Chicago Hope" that hinged on a MEDLINE
search! Because of all this, MEDLINE is
now being used by tens of thousands of people who a year ago had never even
heard of it. Although many of the articles
referenced in MEDLINE are too technical for the average person to
understand, I believe that there is much in MEDLINE
that is pertinent and useful for consumers. I am announcing here that we
have begun to add references from carefully selected
health newsletters for the public published by medical schools and other
government agencies. We plan to enrich MEDLINE
so that it will have even more information oriented toward the public.

Outreach

In expanding the potential audience for MEDLINE we will be relying more and
more on the outreach mandate. You may
recall that our legislation was amended directing us to publicize our
services. The tremendous recent growth in MEDLINE
searching notwithstanding, we still have a long way to go before every
health professional knows about MEDLINE and how
it can contribute to high-quality medical care. Our services are no longer
even bound by national borders, since the Internet
makes MEDLINE accessible around the globe. In fact, the NLM Board of Regents
recently approved the report of a 2-year
study of NLM's international programs; one recommendation was that the NLM
should be a flexible partner and encourage
the use of electronic information resources by health professionals in other
countries. I should note that some 50% of
MEDLINE records are from non-U.S. journals. Another international project,
begun in 1997 at the request of the NIH
Director, aims to enhance the ability of African malaria researchers to
communicate electronically with colleagues in Africa
and around the world and to access critical biomedical information from
local libraries, remote databases, and the Internet.
The project is part of the African Multilateral Initiative on Malaria.

The Library is targeting outreach efforts to several audiences that we
believe can use our services to great advantage. We
recently conducted a "train the trainer" program to teach older citizens how
the Web can be used as a source of good health
information. We want to set in motion a multiplier effect that will spread
to senior centers, public libraries, and nursing homes
across the country. AIDS is another special emphasis area. NLM's AIDS-
related databases contain information that is useful
to patients, families, and care providers, and we are working with community
groups, including public libraries, to reach them.
We are also reaching rural and other underserved health care professionals
to show them how the Library's electronic
information services can reduce professional isolation and put them in touch
with the latest currents in biomedicine.

The NLM's Toxicology and Environmental Health Information Program has
operated for many years and is only now getting
the attention it deserves. A panel of distinguished scientists assembled by

the Institute of Medicine has recommended that the
toxicology and environmental health databases be made much more easily
accessible and widely available (such as the NLM
has done with MEDLINE). Those underutilized databases contain a wealth of
information that could be used by scientists,
educators, and the public in dealing with pollution, chemical spills, and
other threats to the environment.

The NLM's outreach activities could not be successful without the assistance
of the National Network of Libraries of
Medicine (NN/LM). The mission of the Network is to make biomedical
information readily accessible to U.S. health
professionals irrespective of their geographic location. The eight Regional
Medical Libraries that form the backbone of the
Network are supported by contracts from the NLM. The 4,500 member
institutions serve as the Nation's medical information
infrastructure and provide a wide range of services, many of which are based
on information resources provided by NLM.
We have supplemented the contracts throughout the eight regions, to
encourage innovative outreach projects, and plan to
invest even more in the coming year. Closely connected to the NN/LM is NLM's
Extramural Program for providing grant
assistance. Several programs are outreach-related, including support to
medical institutions to connect to the Internet. Other
programs are for improving library resources of the NN/LM, health science
communications, and research training in medical
informatics.

Next Generation Internet

Usage of the Internet and World Wide Web has exploded. To ensure that the
Internet will be up to handling future demand, a
Next Generation Internet (NGI) initiative has been formed. This is a
partnership between industry, academia, and several
government science agencies, including the NLM. The NGI is a logical
outgrowth of the High Performance Computing and
Communications (HPCC) initiative and will provide affordable, secure
information delivery at rates thousands of times faster
than today and accelerate the introduction of new networking services for
businesses, schools, hospitals, and homes. The
NLM, which has in the past conducted a number of HPCC- related activities,
plans to sponsor a variety of NGI health-care
applications in such areas as advanced telemedicine, digital libraries, and
distance learning. Such applications often require the
nearly instantaneous transfer of many gigabits of data, for example in
applications involving imaging. As important as the ability
to transfer massive amounts of data - perhaps more important for health
care-is the requirement for guaranteed quality of
service and security of private information over the Next Generation Internet.

One of the most important aspects of the NGI in the health sciences is the
use of computer and telecommunication technology
for medical diagnosis and patient care- what has come to be called
telemedicine. The concept encompasses everything from
the use of standard telephone service to high-speed transmission of
digitized signals in conjunction with computers, fiber
optics, satellites, and other sophisticated peripheral equipment and

software. The NLM has made a commitment to furthering
telemedicine by sponsoring several dozen projects around the country, in a
variety of rural and urban settings. Through these
projects, now in their second year, we hope to evaluate the impact of
telemedicine on cost, quality, and access to health care.
Playing an important role in all these projects are two studies recently
released by the National Academy of Sciences (and
co-funded by NLM) on criteria for evaluating telemedicine and on best
practices for ensuring the confidentiality of electronic
health data. We expect the NLM-supported projects to serve as models for
both evaluation and confidentiality. The NLM
has just commissioned a third study by the Council that will take a hard
look at the elements required if the NGI is to be of
maximum service to health care and medical research. Capacity, quality,
reliability, and security are some of the elements that
will be evaluated; a strategy to achieve this infrastructure will be proposed.

Also intimately related to the NGI is Phase II of the Digital Libraries
Initiative. The goals of the first phase were to advance
fundamental research and build testbed networks for new technologies that
capture, store, search, and retrieve knowledge
from distributed electronic collections. Phase II, which is just under way,
seeks to extend this technology to new application
areas. NLM will contribute funds to this effort in order to assure that
biomedical research institutions have an opportunity to
compete for research grants and to develop imaginative and useful digital
library applications of the NGI.

One of the most fascinating of the Library's high-tech enterprises is the
Visible Human Project. This program has produced
computer- generated images of two cadavers, one male and one female. NLM's
relatively modest investment in the project
has resulted in more than 1,000 licenses for use of the datasets by
individuals and corporations in 27 countries. Thanks to the
Visible Humans, doctors can practice procedures on "surgical simulators";
medical students can conduct dissection over and
over using a CD-ROM called "The Recyclable Cadaver"; and non- invasive
cancer screening techniques such as "virtual
colonoscopy" are being developed.

Molecular Biology Information Services

Also closely connected to the NGI are the programs of NLM's National Center
for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). The
NCBI continues to advance the state of the art in analyzing the rapidly
expanding wealth of information about our genetic
makeup. NCBI has the most extensive and complete databases on DNA and
protein sequence data in the world and logs
over 2 million web hits a day. By all accounts it is the single most heavily
used site in the world for molecular biology
information. NCBI scientists collect and analyze molecular sequence
information from laboratories at NIH around the world.
The database, GenBank, recorded a milestone when the one billionth base was
added just a few months ago-it took 18 years
to collect the first one billion bases, but because of the explosive rate of
growth, the second billion bases will probably be in

the database just 18 months from now. NCBI has also been assembling all the
data available on human genes resulting from
the Human Genome Project. The NCBI's Human Gene Map now contains information
on over 32,000 genes, nearly one-half
of total estimated human genes. The Human Gene Map is on the web and allows
everyone from a high school student to a
Nobel laureate to find genetic information at his or her level of expertise.
Another scientific resource the NCBI recently
created is the database on the genetics of Plasmodium falciparum sequences,
the organism that produces the most severe
form of malaria and is responsible for most of the 2 million malaria deaths
each year.

NCBI has distinguished itself as an international focus for genomic
information research and is in the forefront in applying this
wealth of information to the detection and diagnosis of genetic disease. In
collaboration with the National Cancer Institute,
NCBI has embarked on a major project to produce the 'molecular fingerprint'
of cancer cells, to characterize what genetic
steps occur as cells move from normal to cancerous states. The ultimate
result of this research will be a powerful diagnostic
tool that will provide a way to identify genes that directly cause cancer
and identify cells in an early precancerous state,
thereby enhancing the probability of early treatment.

Basic Library Services

Basic library services are the foundation on which is built the many
advanced information products and services offered by the
Library. The collection, begun in 1836, now numbers more than 5 million.
Important as the collection itself are the Library's
lending activities and cataloging and indexing services that make the
information widely accessible through publications like the
Index Medicus and databases such as MEDLINE. Several important workload
indicators hit all-time highs in FY 1997: a
total of 519,000 journal articles were indexed for the databases (one-third
more than the previous record). There were
630,000 requests from libraries around the world and on-site patrons for
materials from the NLM collection (+8 percent).
The trend is for steady growth in the collections, bibliographic and other
databases that derive from the collections, and
information services that depend on both. Basic library services must be
protected if the Nation is to continue to benefit from
its investment in biomedical research.

The activities of the NLM are covered within the NIH-wide Annual Performance
Plan required under the Government
Performance and Results Act (GPRA). The FY 1999 performance goals and
measures for NIH are detailed in this
performance plan and are linked to both the budget and the HHS GPRA
Strategic Plan which was transmitted to Congress
on September 30, 1997. NIH's performance targets in the Plan are partially a
function of resource levels requested in the
President's Budget and could change based upon final Congressional
Appropriations action. NIH looks forward to Congress'
feedback on the usefulness of its Performance Plan, as well as to working
with Congress on achieving the NIH goals laid out

in this Plan.

My colleagues and I will be happy to respond to any questions you may have.

U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM)

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/
Last updated: 18 March 1998

Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP   mailto:[log in to unmask]
Library/Information Consultant
Resource Librarian Consultant for Cinahl Information Systems, Inc.
     http://www.cinahl.com/csources/index.htm
Project Director, Northwoods HealthNet, Northern Wisconsin AHEC, Inc.
     http://home.dwave.net/~nahec/nwhn/index.html
PO Box 2, 308 Kann,  Stratford, WI 54484-0002
(715)687-4976 or (715)687-2287  Fax:(715)687-4976