MEDLIB-L March 1998, Week 4

Summary of Audiobooks information

Carolyn Wilcox <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:31:56 -0500

Thanks to all the individuals who responded with information on
audiobooks in hospitals.  For
those who expressed an interest, a summary follows:

1.  I did this, to a limited extent (and also borrowed tapes from the
public library when requested) in conjuction
with volunteer services and therapeutic recreation (some tapes and/or
large print books were in each of the
three areas). We got auxiliary money to buy tapes, or money from the
hospital's foundation. Demand varied a
lot - As everyone says, most hospital stays are too short to make use of
this service nowdays.
The occassional patient or long-waiting family member found it a great
blessing.
(Anna Gieschen,"Wegner Center",Sioux Falls, South
Dakota,[log in to unmask])

PS - another useful fact might be - the audiovisual librarian at our
public library was/is happy to take a theme and pick
out a week's supply of tapes and courier them over, charging them out to
our "corporate card"...

 2.    I use Audio tapes personally and sometimes use them with
adolescents in hospital.
I only have 2 tapes and then only the abridged ones. as the 14-17
year olds usually do not have the listening skills to perservere or
are not there long enough to get 3 hour total listening tome to
themselves.
I use John Windams "Day of the Triffids" and the Paul Brickhill
biography of Douglas Bader, "Reach for the Sky"
Bob Greaves.

3.  The Medical Library used to keep the audiobooks/tape recorders and
take
them up to patient rooms.  We had catalogs of the audiobooks offered by
the Handicapped Division of the Indiana State Library and would arrange
for pick-up and return.
In 1994 ...we turned this process over to Volunteer
Services.  They have since stopped doing it because patients are simply
not here long enough any more to make the process effective.

Now Volunteer Services puts those in long term need in touch with the
State Library to arrange home service.

Christine Bockrath                      [log in to unmask]
Librarian                               (317) 929-8021
Clarian Medical Library         (317) 929-8397 fax
Indianapolis, IN  46206

4.  We have a "Comedy Cart" program that, among other things, was
stocked with
audiobooks, musical tapes, etc. and tape recorders.  The program is
administered by our Patient/Family Education committee (of which I am
co-chair, although not the person with the specific responsibility for
the
cart up to now...although I recently was asked for something of this
nature and was horrified to find that most of the tapes had
disappeared...patients took them home apparently, so we have to
restock).
The Comedy Cart is actually taken around to patients' rooms by
volunteers...

Debbie Skolnik                  Phone: 301-896-3199
Library Director                Fax:   301-896-7310
Suburban Hospital               E-mail: [log in to unmask]
8600 Old Georgetown Road        [log in to unmask]
Bethesda, MD 20814

5. We have audiobooks for patients at our hospital.  We have a donated
library of over 100 books
on tape and musical selections and own 13 cassette players (cheap ones
because they disappear
frequently!)  We send all head sets to Central Sterilization after use.
We have a catalog of our
selections and a sign out form.  Nan Walters, DVS, Poudre Valley
Hospital, Fort Collins, CO
80524, 970-495-8582.

6. Your message was forwarded onto me about the audiobooks/tape players.
We
provide that service for the patients at our hospital. We also provide
TV &
VCRs, videos, and games for all ages. It seems to work well. We have a
check
out sheet for them to sign (or someone to sign) The new staff is
thrilled
when they find out about the service. The are able to keep the materials
as
long as they need to. Generally it is a day or two. We also reserve the
right to recall materials. But it hasn't really been a problem.

Terri Hartwiger
Learning Resources Assistant
John Moritz Library
Methodist Hospital
8303 Dodge St.
Omaha NE 68114
(402)354-3254 phone
(402)354-3155 fax

7.  St. Francis/ Resurrection in Evanston used to have a program
that provided tape plaayers with music to patients.  It was set
up as part of a grant, and I am not sure who manages it now.
Try the Volunteer services there....

Dalia Kleinmuntz                                          847/570-2664
Webster Library                                      FAX: 847/570-2926
Evanston Hospital
2650 Ridge Ave
Evanston IL 60201                                 [log in to unmask]

8.  Our Health Science Library also provides some materials to our
inpatients.
The collection is called the LIFE Library (Laughter, Inspiration, Fun,
Entertainment).  We began the collection with a grant from our
Foundation,
but everything is currently purchased with our library funds.
Our equipment consists of 2 combinations TV/VCRs on carts, and several
Walkman type headsets.  We will be adding a small "boombox" soon for the
patients who do not like to wear headphones.
The collection includes some books on tape and other audio tapes, games,
paper back books, playing cards, and (primarily) videos.
The principle demand has been for the videos.  We have an occasional
patient
who requests the audio tapes.  Part of the reason for lack of demand is
lack
of publicity.  Too many of the nursing staff are unaware of the service,
so
the patients don't learn about it either.  Many staff members  know
about
the videos, but don't realize we also have other items.
We formed a promotions task force earlier this year, and one of our
goals is
to promote our LIFE Library to the nursing staff.  We want the staff to
know
two things:  the materials are available AND the materials need to be
returned to us.  In the first 2 years of the project, the loss figures
were
very high.  We do not plan to purchase any more books--none of the books
checked out have ever been returned.
Because of the low demand for audio materials, we have not added to the
collection since the beginning.  We have almost 200 videos in the
collection
now.  We purchase them when on sale and never pay more than $10 each.
Our
games have never circulated.  We don't know whether they are unpopular,
or
whether no one knows they are available.
We find that the Walkman's walk out the door very easily, in spite of
staff
promises to be personally responsible for their return.  In the last few
months ... we have had a much
better return rate.
We are still attempting to really make our LIFE collection work.
Frequently
items are checked out to a patient, the patient leaves, the items either
go
home with the patient, or go into limbo on the floor.... We have tried
to set
short check out periods for this collection, but the original figures
were
impractical (the Library Staff does not have time to do the intensive
follow-up that would be required) and longer check-out periods aren't
working either.

Sherry Fletcher
Learning Resources Assistant
John Moritz Library
Methodist Hospital
8303 Dodge St
Omaha, Ne 68114
(402) 354-3254

9.  This is a subject that was brought up at our last Library Committee
meeting.  We have a lot of rehab patients at this hospital and it would
be a wonderful thing for them.

However - I have not gotten any farther with this idea!  I do have one
website that might prove helpful if you don't already have it:

http://www.rfbd.org/
Teresa Hanson, Librarian
Health Sciences Library
Baylor Medical Center at Garland
Garland, TX  75042-5706
(972) 487-5060

10.  We supply audiobooks and large print books to patient at Saint
Luke's in Kansas
City.  We are doing this joiintly with the Kansas City Public Library.
They
send the books, usually about 2 dozen at a time, over on the
interlibrary loan
courier and we keep them in the library.  The volunteers, social workers
and
patient advocates are responsible for taking them to the patient rooms.
We
also check out the tape players and that causes us more grief than the
books
because they break down so fast.  We have been doing this about a year
and we
sometimes have a lot of use but usually we don't.  It seems that when
people
are in the hospital, they are too sick to do anything.  The public
library is
trying to recruit people for their readers at home program, but so far
it
hasn't worked for that either.

Anyway, with all these problems, it's still a good program for the
people who
want it.  Sometimes its the family members who are bored out of their
minds and
having some books on tape is really a lifesaver.  Check with your public
library.  They may be very interested in doing this with you.

Karen Wiederaenders
Director of Lbrary Services
Saint Luke's Hospital of Kansas City

--Posted by Carolyn Wilcox, St. Francis Hospital Library, 114 Woodland
St., Hartford CT 06105
([log in to unmask])  (860) 714-4113