]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

EDSS-295 Home

EDSS-295  June 1998

EDSS-295 June 1998

FYI: Why You'll Go Wireless on September 17, 2003

Steve Cavrak <[log in to unmask]>

Telecommunications and the Information Highway <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:49:14 -0400

Why You'll Go Wireless on September 17, 2003

Berst Alert
Jesse Berst, Editorial Director<BR><I>ZDNet AnchorDesk</I>
Wednesday, June 24, 1998

There came a day in the late '80s when you had to have
a fax. You couldn't be taken seriously as a
businessperson  without a fax number on your card.

In a similar fashion, there will come a day when you'll
have to go wireless. That day will be September 17,
2003.

I'm not talking here about narrowband services such as
cellular phones. I mean broadband services that let you
connect wirelessly to the Internet with a handheld
device.  That type of wireless connectivity will become
"mandatory"  once four conditions are satisfied:

        Capacity. Data rates fast enough for realistic
        Internet connectivity.

        Coverage. Service anywhere on the planet at
        reasonable rates.

        Critical mass. Enough customers and enough
        vendors to create a self-sustaining market.

        Killer applications. Software and services that
        give you a competitive edge.

We're just getting glimmerings of what those apps may
look like. Here are four possibilities:

* The personal assistant. Many companies are working on
this idea already. To get a "Palmpilot on steroids,"
your  handheld must be continuously connected to the
latest  addresses, the latest changes to your calendar,
the latest  messages from your office and so on.

* The personal communicator. Think cell phone + email +
voice mail + fax. In the palm of your hand. Anywhere,
any time.

* The ultimate pathfinder. Wireless global positioning,
so your handheld always knows where you are. Plus
wireless  connectivity to city guides and maps.

* The virtual wallet. Digital ID, digital cash, digital
credit cards, all on the same device that does the jobs
described above.

SIGNPOSTS ALONG THE WAY

How will we know when the breakthrough is near? Watch
for these signs.

* Faster data transmission. Most of today's wireless
networks  only carry data reliably at 14.4 K or so. Work
has begun  on a third generation standard that will
support rates  up to 2 Mbps. Look for widespread
deployment in three  or four years.

* Satellite shakeout. At least a dozen global satellite
networks will be launched in the next few years. Once
they're all up and running, we'll see falling prices and
a market share battle. When you see the first mergers
and acquisitions, you'll know we're close to complete
global coverage at reasonable rates.

* Handheld voice recognition. When voice recognition
gets  good enough that it can be shoehorned into a
battery operated  handheld, we won't need keyboards. And
all sorts of killer  applications become possible.

I've done my research, I've investigated the
technology,  I've considered the social and
psychological aspects and  I've determined that the
critical day will come on September  17, 2003. You've
got 1911 shopping days to get your wireless  handheld,
or be held in scorn by the world's digital elite.

You've been warned.

READ MORE:

Wireless Communications Briefing - Red Herring
-> http:www.redherring.com/mag/issue56/overview.html

Motorola, Teledesic Plan Satellite Network - ZDNN
-> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/content/reut/0521/318149.html

Two-Way Satellites Set To Muscle In On Data - Inter@ctive Week
- http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/print/980601/320677.html

SUBSCRIBE:
Get AnchorDesk's email summary in your inbox! - ZDNet AnchorDesk

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/whoiswe/subscribe.html

DISCUSS:
Jesse's Berst Alerts

http://www.anchordesk.com/disgroups/disgroups_54.html