LISTSERV Archives

GEOCOSMO Home

GEOCOSMO  June 1998

GEOCOSMO June 1998

PhD opportunity

Paul Bierman <[log in to unmask]>

In situ cosmogenic isotopes <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:13:19 -0400

>I would appreciate it if you could bring the following PhD opportunity to
>attention of
>anyone you feel might make a suitable candidate.
>Thanks,
>Fin
>

>The application of apatite U-Th/He chronology to the denudation history of
>the S.E. Australian highlands.
>
>Supervisors:  Prof. P. Bishop (Dept. Geography & Topographic Science,
>University of Glasgow) and Dr. F. Stuart (Scottish Universities Research &
>Reactor Centre)
>
>Project:  The closure temperature of He produced by the decay of U and Th
>in apatite is 7510C.  Thus apatite U-Th/He systematics provide a
>previously unavailable time constraint on the cooling of rock masses chang
>crust during denudation.  This project aims to establish a detailed thermal
>history of the S.E. Australian passive margin from apatite U-Th/He ages
>from several transects across the highlands, which previous
>geomorphological studies and numerical modelling have shown is controlled
>by passive denudational rebound rather than active tectonic uplift. The SE
>Australian highlands have an extensive, high quality apatite fission track
>thermochronology (AFTT), providing an excellent constraint on the U-Th/He
>thermochronology.
>Apatite samples used for the previous AFTT study (from Latrobe University,
>Melbourne) have been made available for the initial U-Th/He analysis with
>later fieldwork being used to supplement the available samples.  The
>results of the study will be integrated into the model of the denudational
>and gemorphological histories which have been established from a wide range
>of techniques, including Tertiary valley-filling lavas and basin-hinterland
>mass balance calculations, thereby filling the critical data gap in the
>denudational histories between the AFTT-based studies and the
>geomorphological studies.
>Potential applicants will have a background in Geology and/or Physical
>Geography.  A thorough understanding of tectonics and experience in
>geochemical analysis would be advantageous.  The student's time will be
>split between the SURRC (ICP and quadrupole mass spectrometric measurement
>of U, Th and He) and the University of Glasgow (modelling denudation
>history).
>More information is available from Dr Stuart ([log in to unmask];
>01355 27 0138) or Prof. Bishop ([log in to unmask]; 0141 330 6654).
>Applications in the form of a covering letter and CV (including the names
>of two referees) should be submitted to:
>Prof. Paul Bishop,
>Dept. Geography & Topographic Science,
>University of Glasgow
>Glasgow G12 8QQ

Paul Bierman                                    Univ. of Vermont
                                        802 656-4411 v
                802 656-0045 fax
Assistant Professor                                     Burlington, VT 05405
Geomorphology                                   Cosmogenic Isotopes
http://geology.uvm.edu/geowww/paulbierman.html
http://geology.uvm.edu/geowww/cosmolab.html