LISTSERV Archives

FSCP-SIG Home

FSCP-SIG  July 1998

FSCP-SIG July 1998

Re: HS Parent/Teacher Action Research

rena rice <[log in to unmask]>

AERA Families as Educators SIG <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:23:50 -0400

All of  these interesting postings about high school family involvement have set me to musing about family/college relationships!  I know the developmental issues are very different, but if we look at family involvement on a continuum through a person's school career, is it irrelevant? I think back to my own experience (Barnard '67), and don't remember my parents being involved at all, except for paying the bills and attending graduation. My daughter, on the other hand, just graduated from Yale in May, and the college reached out to parents on a number of levels throughout her four years there. Initially, arents were invited to orientation, and activites were planned for them; there were parent weekends every fall (not just for freshman); and 3 whirlwind days of activities were planned for parents at graduation. We also received a parent newsletter, and letters from the administration on events, policies, and procedures that were new and/or controversial. Is there increased reaching out because tuitions are so high now, that colleges want parents to feel they're "getting their money's worth?" There was also a parent association (whose main function, as with most PA's in elementary & secondary schools, was fundraising). On the autonomy side, however, the student had to give written permission for grades to be sent directly to parents.
  I wonder if there is any research on this. Is there a correlation between family involvement on this level and students' success (or lack thereof!), as there is for younger children? Is this a non-issue and not worth the inquiry? Is anyone else interested in this? Just curious!
Rena Rice
Bank Street College