MEDLIB-L July 1998, Week 3

ACTION ALERT--TIAPP FUNDING

"Mary M. Langman" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:35:21 -0500

        MLA members are encouraged to write and/or call their Senators and
register their concern about a recent Senate Appropriations Committee
report prohibiting all e-rate eligible schools and libraries from applying
for Telecommunications and Information Infrastructure Assistance Program
grants.  Attached is an excerpt from a July 13 ALAWON, vol. 7, number 92,
which provides background information on the issue, and a letter prepared
by the National Association of Development Organizations which gives good
information about the issue as well as addressing some health care
implications of this legislation.

For your convenience, the url address for the U.S. Congress is also
provided at the end of this message.  If you would like more information,
contact Mary Langman at MLA headquarters.

> [...]
>ISSN 1069-7799                                      July 13, 1998
>
>     American Library Association Washington Office Newsline

>ACTION NEEDED: COMMITTEE PROHIBITS TIIAP GRANTS TO ALL E-RATE
>ELIGIBLE SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES; REGISTER CONCERN WITH SENATORS
>
>A July 2 Senate Appropriations Committee report prohibits all
>E-rate eligible schools and public libraries from applying for
>Telecommunications and Information Infrastructure Assistance
>Program grants (S. 2260; S. Rept. 105-235). The prohibition
>covers all schools and libraries -- even in partnerships with
>other community entities -- who are eligible for the E-rate, not
>just schools or libraries receiving the E-rate discounts.
>
>The Appropriations Committee also agreed with the subcommittee's
>June 23 recommendation to cut TIIAP by 50 percent, placing FY99
>funding at $11 million.  The FY99 budget request from the
>Administration was for $22 million; in FY98 the program was
>funded at $20 million.
>
>The attack on TIIAP comes at a time when Congressional critics
>are attempting to halt or further delay the E-rate program. Some
>Congressional supporters of schools and libraries are working to
>overturn or remove this provision from the TIIAP budget.
>However, even if schools and libraries are again made eligible,
>major cuts to the program would severely limit the number of FY99
>TIIAP grants.
>
>The E-rate discount in no way lessens the need for TIIAP
>grants. TIIAP supports the use of the information superhighway
>through personal computers, modems, network equipment, end user
>training, software, network design and system maintenance, as
>well as costs associated with project evaluation and
>dissemination of project results. Most if not all of these costs
>are ineligible under the E-rate.
>
>TIIAP, administered by the National Telecommunications and
>Information Administration in the Department of Commerce,
>provides matching grants to non-profit organizations -- including
>libraries, schools, hospitals, and state and local governments --
>for innovative projects that demonstrate the benefits of
>telecommunications and information technology and help extend
>their reach to underserved communities. In FY97 twelve libraries
>were among the fifty-five recipients of the $20.9 million in
>federal matching grants to nonprofit entities in 38 states and
>the District of Columbia for fiscal year 1997.
>
>ACTION NEEDED: Library supporters are encouraged to write and/or
>call their Senators and register their concern about these
>drastic cuts and limitations placed on TIIAP. (The U.S. Capitol
>Switchboard phone number is 202 224-3121.)
>
>It is important to stress that since 1994 TIIAP grants have been
>used by libraries and schools -- directly or through coalitions
>-- for community networking, education and extending library
>services. The program has been able to fund only one out of every
>thirteen organizations that have applied.

MESSAGE FROM THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATIONS:

> [...]

>project is on rural areas and inner city neighborhoods, and on
>economically disadvantaged or otherwise disenfranchised individuals who
>need job skills training and career guidance.  TINCAN is using the Web
>to link small startup businesses, job skills, and training opportunities
>with real, marketable outcomes.
>

>* Several communities in the Salt Lake Valley region of central Utah
>are using TIIAP funds to link their public safety agencies through a
>wireless, secure communications system.  The Valley Emergency
>Communications Center (VECC) has created an integrated data network
>which links mobile laptop computers in police, fire, and ambulance
>vehicles.  VECC is improving response time in emergency situations to
>the benefit of citizens affected by crime and domestic violence.  For
>example, since the grant, there has been a 300% increase in the recovery
>of stolen vehicles.
>

>* The National Urban League's Technology Access Center project will
>bring access to advanced information technology to community residents
>and community-based organizations in four targeted communities:
>Baltimore, Maryland; Binghamton, New York; Roxbury, Massachusetts; and
>Newark, New Jersey.  The intent of the project is to plan, implement,
>and evaluate pilot technology centers.  These centers are to serve as
>models for the other 115 Urban League Affiliates and similar community
>based organizations nationally.  Each center will provide a variety of
>programs, including literacy training, workforce development, and
>computer literacy.  National partners include Bell Atlantic, Microsoft,
>and Educational Testing Servic es.
>

>* In Hawaii, where distance and water separate the various islands, a
>TIIAP sponsored project has made keeping track of juvenile offenders a
>lot easier.  A Juvenile Justice Information System (JIIS) connects law
>enforcement agencies on the islands in order to share information about
>juvenile offenders who cross jurisdictions.
>

>All of these activities, funded by TIIAP, would not have been eligible
>for the Universal Service Fund.  Furthermore, proposed language would
>limit the access of school children to essential social services as well
>as prohibiting adult access to government information, job retraining,
>and other online services through their public libraries.
>

>In a time of significant budget cutting, TIIAP provides the seeds to
>help forge partnerships with the private sector to ensure that
>telecommunications technologies live up to their potential to enhance
>community services, health care, civic participation, and much more.
>The TIIAP is a modestly funded program that contributes significantly to
>the development of a national information infrastructure, accessible to
>all Americans.
>

>We urge you to support an amendment that will appropriate critical
>funding for the TIIAP program for fiscal year 1999.

http://congress.nw.dc.us/ala/search.html
Mary M. Langman, Manager
Information Issues and Policy
Medical Library Association
312/419-9094 [ext. 16]
312/419-8950 [fax]
WWW.MLANET.ORG

Celebrating MLA's Centennial: 1898-1998
MLA: The Association of Health Information Professionals