]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  August 1998, Week 4

MEDLIB-L August 1998, Week 4

ALERT: Single slate issue for MLA Election

Tom Williams <[log in to unmask]>

Tom Williams <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:58:53 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

This has been submitted to several lists, please excuse the duplication.

Colleagues, I want to bring to your attention an issue that could
affect us all if this particular bylaws change is enacted:

This is a fairly lengthly message so if the topic of MLA Elections does not
interest you, hit the delete key now.

A year or two ago a recommendation was made to the Board that MLA adopt a
single-slate for President-Elect.  There would still be multiple
candidates for the Board (for now anyway) but the Nominating Committee
would submit just ONE name for President-Elect.  I am already on record
with the Board and others as being 100% opposed to the idea.

The major reason, as it was explained to me, for going this route is the
difficulty of getting two qualified people to run every year.  It would
appear that people the Nominating Committee determine to be qualified
often decline to run.

My feeling about that is if we cannot get two "qualified" people out of a
membership of 5,000+ then we have to take a serious look at the
professional committment we have as a group, and most specifically, those
the Nominating Committee determined to be "qualified."

If we look around at other library associations such as ALA, SLA, and
others, they are not single slate.  Most professional associations with
1,000+ members, at least as far as I've been able to determine, do not
run single slates.  It seems their membership has a higher committment
level and do not make it difficult to find more than one candidate.

To put this somewhat in historical perspective, let me share with you a
message from the person who has been a MLA member longer than anyone,
Estelle Brodman, who was an active member when a double slate was adopted:

Dr. Brodman has given her permission for me to share this.

"...this worked fine when the association was small--if you lived long
enough you were very likely to be almost every officer in the
organization.  When the organization got larger many people felt a single
slate was not fair so it was changed.  Why is the change being sought now."

I echo Dr. Brodman's query, why now?  It is something of an embarrassment
to have to reply to her that this association, more than 5,000 strong,
cannot find two qualified members to run every year.  Give me a break!

In fact, on at least one occasion in the past the membership felt that
even TWO candidates were not sufficient.  A third candidate was nominated
from the floor and that candidate WON!

Rather than take the "easy" way out and put our credibility as a
professional association in question, we need to look at what we must do
to encourage qualified people to run.  If it is because the individuals
are afraid of the "embarrassment" of losing, then that person's
professional committment comes into question.  We've had at least two
courageous and committed candidates each year for 30 years or so.

If it is because possible candidates cannot handle the workload of
President and of their primary jobs at the same time - a VERY real
problem for many, especially librarians in smaller hospital libraries,
then the association needs to do something to alleviate the workload.
How about putting a line in the budget to support the President with a
full-time employee at his or her library for the period of office?  There
may be other solutions - have alternative solutions been considered?

Many associations, and MLA has not been immune, from time to time hear
criticism about "elitism" "old boy/girlisms" etc.  Whether intended or
not, a move toward single slate smacks of this very thing.

The argument will undoubtedly be made that our current structure for
selecting the Nominating Committee is sufficiently "democratic" to make
it as fair as having a two-slate election.  I strongly disagree.

Let's look at how our Nominating Committee Members are selected - we
elect all NINE each year.

Each section of MLA elects a "potential" nominee.  That candidate is
presented at Section Council and from among those names SIX are selected
to go on the ballot.  The same is true for the chapters.  Each chapter
elects a "potential" candidate and SIX are selected for the Ballot at
Chapter Council.  That makes for TWELVE candidates.  So where do the
other SIX come from since the ballot has EIGHTEEN names on it?  Now
here's the rub.  The Board of Directors names SIX people to go on the
ballot - a full third of the voting members.  In addition, the Immediate
Past-President of MLA serves as (non-voting) Chair of the Nominating
Committee.   As an aside, rather than put forth a bylaws change for a
single slate, I'd like to see a bylaws change that requires that members
of the Nominating Committee be elected from among the Chapters and
Sections only - delete the section wherein the Board gets to name a third
of the Committee.

The fact that the Board gets to name a full third of the Nominating
Committee removes, in my view, the notion of the process being "democratic."

Where are we at with this issue?  The Board has decided to bring this to
the membership at the 1999 Annual Meeting.  If the go-ahead is then given
by the membership, a mail ballot will then go out to change the bylaws to
reflect a single slate election.

Many of us fail to pay much attention to bylaws changes - whatever your
point of view on this, it is essential that you show up to express your
opinions about this at the Annual Meeting.  If the consensus is that it
is a bad idea then it will not come up for a vote.  If it does come up
for a vote 2/3 or the ballots cast must favor it.  Now, that's NOT 2/3 of
the membership, just 2/3 of the ballots cast.  If only 20% of our members
choose to send in their ballots, then 2/3 of that 20% get to decide.

Again, my bias is clear on this issue, but whatever the outcome, I am
doing all that I can to ensure that the majority of our membership is AT
LEAST aware of the issue before it becomes a done-deal.

If you got this far with my message I do thank you for "listening" and
please spread the word.

Tom Williams

Thomas Williams, Director                       (334) 460-6885
Biomedical Library and Media                    (334) 460-7638(fax)
   Production Services
University of South Alabama                     [log in to unmask]
College of Medicine                             http://southmed.usouthal.edu
BML 326B
Mobile, Alabama 36688-0002