]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CSSA Home

CSSA  September 1998

CSSA September 1998

CSSA Update, Very important that you read this

Ed wasserman <[log in to unmask]>

Computer Science Student Association <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Sep 1998 16:25:47 -0400

Hi all. Hope you are all getting back into the swing of things with ease.
Last week an 'executive meeting' was held. In attendence were Josh, Gabe,
Ed and Bob.
We discussed the future of CSSA. Two years ago, we spent most of our time
and energy trying to gain SGA recognition, so most of our meeting time was
spent working on the constitution and other things that we had to get done
for approval (which we never got). Last year we tried to have meetings in a
similar fashion, very boring. Because of this we never had attendence and
the CSSA seemed to be missing one very important component, students. This
year we are going to try something new. We will hold social events/
workshops on a regular basis( weekly, bi-weekly, ect.) for the entire
group. These events will be coordinated by the officers who will meet at a
seperate time. Hopefully this will boost member activity.

We do have some events for this semester planned.
        Managers from IBM will be coming on three different dates to give talks on
topics on       different aspects of the industry (we are not sure what those
will be yet). The dates are     9/18 10/16 and 11/6. Time and location will be
set sooner to those dates and we will keep      you informed.

        We have picked 3 dates for other social activities. These dates are 9/25
10/23 and 11/13.
        We don't know what will happen on those dates yet, but some ideas that we
have so far     are: game night, movie night, or paintball.
Elections:
        We are hoping to have elections sometime in October for the 98/99 year. We
hope to get     most of the positions filled by freshmen and sophmores. If you
are interested in becoming
        an officer or want to nominate someone for a job, get back to me
([log in to unmask]).        Remember, the activities are being planned by the
officers, so you want to vote for       someone who you think will plan events
that you would want to attend.
Mentoring Program:
        This year we have 38 freshmen in the program. We want to set up the
mentoring program       again this year. There have been rumors that if you meet
with your assigned freshman, the        department will buy the two of you a free
lunch at the Waterman Manor. It is very         important for everyone to meet
with their assigned 'little buddy' so we can retain most        of the 38 in the
program.
Fall Picnic:
        As you all should know, the fall picnic is this saturday at oakledge park.
We will be      leaving from Votey at 3:00 if you need a ride. This is free!!
If you can, please bring        some sort of side dish or dessert. This is a good
opertunity to network with other people
        in the program along with some of the professors. Hope to see you all there.