Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ISOGEOCHEM Home

ISOGEOCHEM  September 1998

ISOGEOCHEM September 1998

Re: Standards

"Anette Giesemann, POET" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:31:01 MET

Hello Len,

yes, we dio have to hurry up in terms of the EXPO being in Hannover in
2000.
I agree, that a training course for people who are going to work using
stable isotopes is necessary and there is a big lack of possibilities. To
get such a training going over here in Braunschweig might be a bit of a
problem, as I have nothing but a delta S coupled to a carlo Erba elemental
anaylzer runnig nothing but S - so if planning a practicle, we should think
into another direction - maybe go to somwhere else in Germany, but I can't
think of any place off hand. The ASI will mmet in October and I will ask
the question if they want to participate in the meeting and - if so, if
either of the people from all over Germany could provide equipmetnt to
set up a training. If it you thought of a more theoretical thing, we will
be able to teach such a course in the FAL rooms.
What I had thought of, is offering a pre-excursion to the Harz and a
post-excursion to Berlin, which isn't that far from Braunschweig and might
be of some historical interest to people from all over the world.

What I will do first thing now is write a fax to the hotel and get a
reservation going from night of Friday, 4th of May through to the
following Friday and tell the people I would confirm latest end of October
1999, I hope this will work, but people hopefully can understand a bout the
problems getting a room in the year of the expo.
Booking one meal is o.k in the hotel ( what about white asparagus
- something our region is famous for?) and I will charge this to each
participant..
I think the hotel rooms will be something about 130 DM per room, which I
think for a Mariott Garden Court is a reasonable price (must be about 75
US $)
From my former experience, I know that it is worth contacting the
MS-factories and ask for donations etc. Maybe we can think of allowing them
to give a little bit of an exhibition or so and they might donate a bit
more then....
Concerning the 3 days: I felt very much comfortable with this
arrangement. It is that not every talk is 100% interesting to all
participants and hence there was enough time to skip one and then have a
chat or do so in the evening hours. Making a conference several days long
needs a tremendeous amount of energy as people have to concentrate and
listen carefully over say a weeks period and my experience is, that to the
end of long meetings only few people are still present, while others take
some time off or - this is what happened to me some times - I want to
listen to a talk, concentrate on it and as soon as it's over, I heven't
stored the message, but lost it somewhere as my mind was no longer as alert
as it was supposed to be. And what we should keep in mind is, that for many
people from Europe English isn't their mother tounge. Especially those
coming from Eastern Europe, they sometimes had to lear this language on
their own and have a bit of a struggle. However with the borders being open
to the east, I guess we will have several people from the Easterly
countries participate. That's why I go for doing the meeting the same way
you did it.

I will contact Prof. Stottmeister during the next week and see, if I can
get money out of the German Canadian fund.

Concerning the WWW-page: I haven't done somthing like that, but know
somebody who might help. However -if you are familiar with doing so, it'll
be nice to have you getting the web going. I thought of posting the
announcemnet on the isofeochem user list, too and send it to several people
by "snail mail", too.

So - ready to get the first announcement starting. I think sending it out
late October would be a good schedule, wouldn't it?

Regards
Anette

Dr. Anette Giesemann
Institute of Agro-Ecology, Federal Agricultural Research Centre
Bundesallee 50, D-38116 Braunschweig
Tel.:++49 531/596-217; FAX: ++49 531/596-366
E-mail: [log in to unmask]