LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  October 1998, Week 2

COMMUNET October 1998, Week 2

Re: David Bolt: Digital Divide

Kyle Nicholas <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:08:24 -0500

Barry --

Nice to meet you at RuralTelComm. As usual, you make some important points
here. Could you give the source of your first comment, "86% of blacks and
Hispanics have no basic phone."  That seems pretty high to me.

I'm doing a study of rural Internet access in Texas, and the regulatory
mechanisms needed to help rural folks get connected. It is worth noting
that most rural areas have plenty of ISPs who claim to serve them. However,
many require a toll call, and few national ISPs seem to market their
services in rural areas. Pieces of the puzzle that often drop out when we
discuss "connectivity" are: 1. awareness of options (human capital) and, 2.
ability to organize at the community level to get improvements (social
capital).

The Internet, because it is more than just a connection, can help foster
both human and social capital development -- essential building blocks for
economic development. So connection to advanced services is not merely "the
next step" in universal service, as FCC language might suggest. Rather it
is an exponential increase in communication richness, diversity and utility
with extraordinary potential for rural (and other underserved) communities.

Anyone interested in receiving a one page description of our study (in
MSWord 7) can get one by emailing me ([log in to unmask]). The study is
a joint project of the Telecommunications and Information Policy Institute,
and Texas Rural Communities, Inc., a non-profit that has been helping rural
people get connected for more than 50 years.

 At 10:58 AM 10/12/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Mr. Bolt:
>
>As you prepare for your PBS series on "The Digital Divide," I invite you to
>explore the website of the Civil Rights Forum on Communications Policy at
>http://www.civilrightsforum.org. I've appended a list of current articles
>and speeches, located at http://www.civilrightsforum.org/articles.htm.
>
>The Forum works to bring civil rights organizations and community groups
>into the current debate over the future of our media environment. The twin
>goals of the Forum are to
>introduce civil rights principles and advocacy to the implementation of the
>1996 Telecommunications Act, and to reframe the discussion over the role of
>media in our society around the needs of communities and the rights of
>citizens.
>
>While we are concerned about the "digital divide" in terms in internet
>usage in the home, this a narrow, urban-centric and somewhat elitist
>framing of the real problem of communications in the digital age. For
>example:
>
>(1) About 86% of Hispanics and African-Americans do not have basic home
>telephone service -- inspite of the FCC LifeLine and LinkUp programs.
>
>(2) Increasing deregulation of the media has resulted in decreased minority
>ownership of media outlets: e.g., during 1996, there was a loss of 26 Black
>radio stations, while
>there was a net loss of seven stations in 1994 and a net gain of ten
>stations in 1995.
>
>(3) The transition to digital television will effectively block out
>minority-owned and local outlets. Only high-power television stations were
>given free spectrum to develop high definition television services. Low
>power and secondary public television stations were not included in this
>"$70 billion give-away" -- and in some instances their own spectrum was
>taken away.
>
>(4) Educational and public community centers that provide internet access
>in rural and disadvantaged communities are under attack. As you know,
>funding for the Schools and Libraries Corporation (SLC) program of the FCC
>Universal Service Fund has been cut in half, due to intense lobbying of
>AT&T and other traditional telephone corporations. The tax-exempt status of
>Oregon Public Network (OPN) is under intense scrutiny by the IRS -- with
>devastating implications for all educational and charitable institutions
>which try to provide a free or low-cost alternative to the increasingly
>powerful commercial internet service providers (ISP's).
>
>(5) The FCC currently has a Notice of Inquiry (NOI) and Notice of Proposed
>Rule-Making (NPRM) on the implementation of Section 706 of the
>Telecommunications Act of 1996, which is concerned with the deployment of
>advanced telecommunications services (ATS). Virtually all of the discussion
>is directed at ensuring competition between different providers. However,
> [...]
Kyle Nicholas
Telecommunications and Information Policy Institute