Well, I have been prodded for having taken so long, but here are the minutes
of last Thursday's meeting.
November 19, 1998 7:30PM Votey 207
Those Present: Josh Steinhurst [Pres.], James Taylor, Dan Mccutcheon, Ian
Gorton, and Michael Gray.
We talked about:
1]Plans for next semester:
a] Social Activities
We agreed that we need to have more of these. [We had NONE this
fall] Possibilities include:
* Hiking [Either winter or spring]
* pizza-putt [inside miniature golf]
* a trip [i.e. Boston computer museum + Boston]
People seem to like these! Let's do more.
* IBM is interested in coming again with another topic.
* We should look around for another employer to come in and give a
* Ergonomics/RSI A couple of people have expressed interest in
having a workshop about this. I have found the person on campus who is
responsible for this and he is willing to come in next semester and give a talk.
* Programming in the EMBA-CF UNIX environment. This should be done
at the beginning of the semester to be most effective.
* "What is CS?" We could try to get a presentation to answer this
subtle question. This way when someone asks you what you study you can say
something besides 'programming'
* It was suggested that the faculty could give little lectures on
what it is that they research. We would try to aim it for about the
sophomore level and up.
* Get guest lecturers for topics that are not taught as classes here.
2] Faculty Hiring
This was just a heads-up. The department is hiring two faculty
positions this year. The search committee _really_ wants input. There will
be open sessions for comments at the beginning of next semester so be
thinking about it!
3] CSSA Elections
We will hold elections at the beginning of next semester.
The meeting sort of wound down by 8:30
We have been asked by the E-Week organizers to do something for engineering
week this year. It is in February. Any thoughts?
Recorder: Mike Gray
Typist: Josh Steinhurst [I did this in a rush, so ask if you have any questions]