SKIVT-L December 1998, Week 3

Bolton Valley 19DEC98

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 20:49:52 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

        With all the new snow from the past few days, I figured it might
be time to visit Bolton for some snow-shoeing, and potentially even some
skiing if the snow was deep enough.  The plan was to start at the base of
the Timberline Quad, (approx 1600') and hope there was enough snow to ski
all the way down to that elevation.  Alternatively, if there was not
enough snow at that elevation, head up to the main base (approximately
2100') and go from there.
        I convinced my friend E to come along, and as we pulled into the
parking area at the base of the quad, things looked grim :(.  The trails
were covered with brush in many areas, and they hardly looked pristine.
Still, I needed to do a first hand check of the snow depth, and see what
the real deal was.  As it turns out, there were a good 6" at the base of
the quad, with a base of older snow.  The reason the brush was so
noticable, was because it was about 3' high.  There were plenty of
passable zones, and the snow would only get better as we went up, so the
decision was made to ski.  It also helped to see a snowboarder unloading
his board from his car, and start heading up.
        We grabbed our snowshoes, attached our skis to our paks, and
headed up to the left via the mellow green route.  By the time we
approached the 2000' level, the snow was about 8" deep, and we were
thankful for the snowshoes.  It was medium weight powder, not ultra light,
but it would not hold together for a snowball.  As we passed the houses in
the development above the quad, we noticed a couple headed off with a
snowboard and some snowshoes toward the timberline area.  We were also
greeted by a woman and her dogs at one of the houses, and she wished us a
good ski.  It had been snowing lightly since we arrived, and continued
fortunately without any wind at this elevation.
        As we passed the last of the houses, we arrived at the top of the
old "slow and low" (as I used to call it) lift.  I'm not sure of the name,
but it's the little lift on the right side of the main mountain as you
look up.  Snow depth here (2500'?) was about 10 inches.  Here we met a
woman on teles/skins, and a man with a snowboard.  They had the same idea
as us, and we all headed in the direction of the Cobrass trail, with the
tele-woman breaking trail.  The tele woman/snowboard man stopped to talk,
and we continued on ahead up Cobrass.
        This was the toughest part of the trip.  It was still snowing
rather steadily, the depth was now about 12", but we would occasionally
encouter regions of up to 18" where it had settled due to the wind.  I had
forgotten how steep the upper section of Cobrass was, and the combination
of the steep trail, and snow made it a good challenge, although not
unfeasable for good snowshoes with crampons.  I did cut switchbacks, but
tried to reserve at least half the trail for turns on the way down.  The
wind had picked up at this elevation (approx 2700'), and the exposed
Western side of Cobrass with patches of exposed rock was a bit ominous in
its own way.  E had not anticipated the trip to be this long, and with the
anxiety of knowing she had to ski down this wind scoured section of powder
(not exactly her favorite conditions), she was, hmmm, anxious to get to
the top.  This was where I got that little twinge of the, OK, gotta get to
shelter feeling.  We were not in a critical situation, but the mood can
sometimes bring that about.  Temperature was a (relatively) balmy 25
degrees, but it was a nice sight to see the shack at the top of the summit
lift come into view.  We ran into yet another group of
skiers/snowboarders, this one composed of four people.  They inquired
about Cobrass, and I gave them the scoop, just watch out for a few rocks
on the first pitch, and conditions were nice otherwise.
        The plan was to grab a quick bite to eat, and change into ski boots in
the lift shack, but the ski patrol hut was open (sign inside says
elevation 3019' as mesured in 1996), so we happily took to the larger
accomodations.  We were not the first to use the patrol shack for the
day, a previous group had signed into the log book, noting how psyched
they were that the mountain was closed this year.  After a quick bite to
eat, (yet long enough to let all of our outerware freeze) :(  we started
the descent.
        Cobrass was the toughest part, but we did a good job of missing
the couple of ledgy sections at the top.  E was doing her best to keep her
legs close and make a stable platform, but sometimes they would get apart
and, well, ugh.  When one ski does one thing, and the other does something
else... trouble!  There were a few waterbars that needed negotiating, but
there was plenty of open space for turns, and it sure was fun to have the
trail to ourselves.  Hitting rocks was not really a problem.  The lower
slopes were mostly grassy, so even with only 6-8 inches of snow, they were
skiable.  On the very last crossover trail, we had to let the skis run
straight, it was just too shallow for turns, but it made a relaxing close
to the trip.
        As the snow gets deeper, it's only going to get better.  Total
vertical measured by the Avocet was 1430', skiing right to the car.
That's about all that route really has to offer, but if you took a quick 5
min hike midway down to get yourself to the top of the Timberline quad,
you could have good sustained pitch for the whole run.  I'm not sure what
the new owner's policy is on skiing these trails, but I didn't see any
posted signs, and others seemed to be out enjoying the slopes as well.

J.spin