summary of disability responses

Sara C Holmes <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Dec 1998 09:50:34 -0600

Here is a summary of what I received in response to my post about
disability in library personnel.

Thank you for all of the responses.  I have tried to respond personally
to each message, and I am sorry if I fail to respond to any of you.

First of all, I need to clarify some things.  I am not currently a
medical librarian, or even in library school.  I am actually a special
education teacher (well, actually not currently, since I don't have a
teaching position at the moment--didn't get certified until this month)).
I just graduated from college last May. I am considering going back to
school and I was trying to avoid getting into a field that would be
difficult to do if my feet showed no improvement.  I definitely feel now
(after all of these wonderful responses) that there are enough
opportunities with an MLS degree that I could find something I enjoyed
and that wouldn't make my feet worse.  (Although I might have to be
geographically mobile to find that job.)

Also, I was trying to find "natural" accommodations as much as anything
in my original inquiry.  I don't plan to use ADA or ask for special
accommodations unless I felt that I couldn't do my job without them. I
have learned from the responses that many medical librarians have
physical problems -- and that they have specific things they have learned
to do which may not be "legal accommodations", but which enable them to
do their job.  I was hoping (and my hope was fulfilled) to learn about
the essential functions of a medical librarian,  the different employment
situations available (with the corresponding physical demands), and other
things within this field that may not be traditional "medical librarians"
in the sense of the word, but that deal with medicine and information.

Thanks again for the help.  Now on to the responses:  I received many, so
I will try to condense. Sorry if I cut out too much stuff -- it's for the
sake of space -- I personally found all comments very valuable.

**"The vast majority of us, patrons and librarians alike, are going to
have
to face some disability in their future lives.  We need to plan for it,
by
not buying three story houses, by building houses that are handicapped
accessible...The most important parts, in my opinion, are service, and
the use of our
brains.  Technology is changing, making our jobs easier, unless we are
lifting computers!  Planning a library to accommodate someone with a
disability would open the library to a host of patrons who now may not
have access to information."

**"I would encourage you to pursue your dreams...   The physical demands
of
the job I feel are entirely dependent on the situation..... I work in a
community hospital library, a one person outfit...  I can spend a large
portion of my day just sitting and working on the computer.   I have
volunteers who do most of the physical work... So in other words, I think
the smaller the library the more likely you will be able to control your
own situation and make it work for you."

**"have you thought about being a cataloguer for medical libraries..."

**"I cannot stand or walk without pain, either [due to knee
injury]...Most of my work is
done at the computer or at the reference desk.  I grit my teeth and do
some re-shelving.  I grit my teeth and go to the shelves with people
readily to help them find something. I pace myself carefully.  Some days
are better than others....Each  aisle of shelving has a kick stool.  I
use them to sit
with the journal on my lap when I'm looking for an article.  We have a
stool near the photocopier....The rest of the staff usually offers to go
with users to the stacks for me but when I'm the only one here, I force
myself to do more.
Believe me, I KNOW what pain is like but I don't let it stop me from
doing my job."

**"I am a librarian who also happens to have MS, the relapsing, remitting
kind....our
hospital purchased  one of these 3 wheelers for its employees who have
problems like broken legs, etc. and need to be able to get around.  If
you
could get your doctor to say that you need something like that, I'll bet
your institution would be legally bound to provide it.  You'd probably
have
to share it when you weren't using it, but that shouldn't be a big
problem...[this person uses one of these 3 wheelers in current
job...]...By the way, I never did think of
it as being handicapped.  I just had places to go, people to see and
things
to do, I didn't have time to worry about what people thought. "

**"My opinion is that your library should make 'reasonable accommodation'
such as allowing you to sit on a stool behind the desk, or allowing you
to prop your feet up while sitting at a workstation.  The question is,
is plantar fascitis considered a 'disability' in the legal sense of the
word?.... I would suggest you contact ALA and ask, or perhaps get in
touch with your state organization that handles disability issues....."

**[My answer to above question that I wrote for another person: "it was
very helpful to me to read the ADA law itself.  i did not realize that i
might qualify as having a disability until i read it through.  according
to ADA (as I understand it and this is a definition from my memory), a
disability is a difficult  in carrying out one or more major life
functions.  life functions can include: work, family, as well as walking
and standing.  since i can not usually walk and/or stand for more than 5
minutes without pain, as well as cannot do many jobs b/c of all the time
on feet, i felt that i qualified. some people with this foot problem are
not that affected by it, and so they don't feel that i am disabled.  but
i have in the past (had this since started college four years ago) had a
lot of pain, and expect it to probably continue.  now i may be
interpreting it too loosely, although i've never actually used the law in
any way to this point.  it just helps me to know that i could if i needed
to."]

**"I work for a health information/policy center that serves a national
audience rather than on-site users (except for staff) and we sit quite a
good bit of the time using the computer, answering the phone, developing
documents.  You might see if such organizations exist where you are, as
they could use your medical knowledge and not require you to be on
your feet so much."

**"I am a 26 year veteran medical librarian with extremely painful knees
and ankles from arthritis....I make accommodations by having a high stool
on wheels next to the copy machine to sit and make copies....I have a
comfortable chair at the reference desk and a foot support to use when
sitting. I have an Amigo (electric mobility 3 wheeled chair) which I
purchased myself but which I leave here at work most of the time.  It
enables me to get from place to place in the hospital and I can get down
the aisles of the stacks if necessary....Hospitals, especially, should be
willing and able to accommodate your needs."

**"I work in a hospital medical library, and I am the only librarian,
with one volunteer to help me with photocopying.  Most of what I do can
be done sitting down--doing online searches, ordering articles--there are
times when the volunteer isn't here and I have to make copies, and the
biggest challenge is physical maintenance of the collection, since I am
on my own, and my volunteer is 74....But the most important functions
still get done..... Many hospital libraries have part time librarians
with little or no staff support--this could be a
problem if you need someone to help you. I often come home too tired to
do anything else, and that is difficult for me to deal with--I not come
to a resolution yet on how to keep from being very frustrated.  I did
work in an academic setting, and I was on my feet
much more often--accompanying students to different parts of the library,
standing at the reference desk, "competing" with the other staff for the
one chair that was actually comfortable!  If you decide to work in a
hospital setting, find out at the interview whether you will have
clerical help--if you won't, they probably would expect you to do
everything, and try to argue that it was all "essential"--I've had no
experience with the ADA law, so I don't know how that would change
things.  This is an issue in general for solo
librarians, because administrations often expect librarians to do things
that are not part of the professional librarian role.....I would say that
medical librarianship has a big enough range of settings that there has
to be a job out there that you could do--for instance, pharmaceutical
companies hire online searchers, and that's done entirely sitting.  And
maybe the ADA law could give you some backup. And in spite of the pain, I
find my job rewarding, helping doctors, nurses and patients find the
information they need is very gratifying."

**"ME: My roommate is in physical therapy school and I told her about my
question
and the responses.  She suggested I ask: on a scale of one to ten (ten
being on feet most of the day, one sitting most of day) -- what would you
score your present job?  RESPONSE:Right now, about a 1.5; when I was solo
in the hospital library, about 2.0....I had volunteers at the hospital
who handled most of the shelving, photocopying, etc; and here at the
college, there are four other staff plus a whole cadre of student
workers."

**"That is the key 'essential functions' may vary with each institutions.
 You can look at your original job posting from your HR dept.  It may
(should) have the essential physical functions broken down such as
ability to lift 20 lb. book use a ladder stand for xhours or squat."

**"I would say I spend 40%  of my day on my feet.....I think that the
type of library and
position you hold will vary greatly the time spent on your feet.  I am
the director and other than administrative work I do all the searches and
acquisitions and teach MEDLINE and INTERNET classes on a weekly basis.
If you end up in a one person library I would think it would be more "on
the feet" time."

**" As far as essential functions, it would depend on how many people you
have in the library.  If you are a solo librarian, and have no other
recourse for copying, you might have a tough case.  If it's a case where
someone else can reasonable do that job while you do others, I think they
do have to make an effort.  They do not have to make accommodations by
hiring additional personnel, if you are just unable to perform the job
and it is a necessary part of your job function.  Or they may make it a
job sharing position, half time for each where you would work half time
doing the things you could do. "

I would love to have some more discussion about this on the list, if
anyone else is interested.  It seems like many more of you struggle with
the same types of problems I do than I had expected.  I had also thought
that discussion, while it may not be pertinent to some people or their
current situations, may be valuable for helping patrons with physical
problems or with staff that may be hired in the future...

One response mentioned invisible disabilities -- I thought that was an
interesting term.  Since I am 22 years old and otherwise healthy looking,
I have had some people look at me with strange looks when I sit down
someplace b/c of my feet and they think the seat should be saved for an
older or disabled person.  I have hesitated getting a decal for my car
(although I don't think I would use it very much, only when I really
needed to), b/c I know the looks I would get!

Thanks again for all the responses and help!

I enjoy reading everyone's posts and learning about all the different
facets of medical libraries.  This is a very interesting listserv!

Sara
Sara Holmes