]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  December 1998, Week 4

SKIVT-L December 1998, Week 4

Re: MOUNTAIN CREEK (Intrawest) (was: JAY-12/27)

Michael Schutzbank <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 13:00:46 -0800

Actually I was Mountain Creek on Saturday and was  disppointed that
they only had one trail open from top to bottom (on the old Vernon
mountain). For $44 I figure they could of at least had one of expert
ones going from top of the Cabriolet. (for those of you that care a
Cabriolet is an open air gondola) But I got there nice and early
8:30am (why do they not open early on the weekends?) and was able to
do four quick runs and still turn in my ticket for a total refund.
Kind of cheesy I guess but it was my birthday, so I figured I should
be allowed some leeway! So at least I got some turns in before heading
out BIG SKY on Friday.  Some more random thoughts:
- Is $44 the worst deal in the country for skiing?  I think Vail is
now $62 but at least you get tons of acreage.  But then when I was
driving there trying to rationalize the $44 I thought that maybe the
high cost would lead to smaller liftlines but alas the place was
packed at 10:00am when I left. But on the other hand at least there is
decent skiing within an hour of Manhattan.(Really no lie - I got there
in 55 minutes from my hovel on the Upper East Side.) So I guess the
bottom line is like everything else in the tri-state area you have to
pay for convenience.
- Stopped at Ski Barn on the way home and they actually have
discounted lift tickets to Mountain Creek and Hunter. I forget the
actual prices but I know it reduced it to 30's.
- How depressing was it to see snow in Central Park but no snow in the
mountains!

---Mike Flynn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hey, I was at Mountain Creek yesterday as well.  I am amazed at the
changes
> Intrawest has made there, and they've only begun!  It was amazing to
see
> the DEEP base on the trails and the early-springlike bareness of the
woods
> next to each other.  Their snowmaking system is incredible.  The
service
> was excellent, also.  They installed a six-person open-air stand-up
> gondola, which is sort of interesting, but it's very efficient.
> Apparently, though, they have to work out some of the kinks with
it.. it
> got stuck for a half hour while I was on it.  The free-drink coupons
they
> gave out in compensation seemed a little weak, but hey... wasn't
totally
> their fault anyway.
>
> The manmade snow was light and fluffy on top of the hardpack, and it
only
> really started getting icy halfway through the day.  And by that
point, a
> bunch of snowboarders had built a series of big jumps on the side of
the
> one main trail on North (the main mountain), keeping things quite
interesting.

> Hugging the left side of most trails yielded 3-5 inch deep powder
piled up,
> which made for some fun side-hugging short turns.
>
> Unlike you, I never made it over to the South side.  Supposedly the
trails
> on that side were in much better shape, less crowded, more
difficult, etc.
> That reminds me: Intrawest opened a whole bunch of old trails that
had been
> closed for years,  expert trails, and even cut one glade.  Of course
none
> of those are open yet.
>
> But about your related comment as to steep trails: Mountain Creek
has QUITE
> A FEW steep trails from what I've heard.  We were talking to two ski
> instructors on the Gondola for the half hour that it was stuck.. they
> mentioned one on Granite Peak (the middle mountain), I don't
remember the
> name or have a trail map handy unfortunately, but it shoots straight
down
> the middle, you can't miss it.  They said it was steeper even than
just
> about anything you could find at Hunter.  I know, that sounds kind of
> silly, but considering you're in New Jersey and only 45 minutes from
New
> York City, and yes, on 1000 vertical, that's quite a feat.
>
> And there were always a few steep and tricky ones on North, but they
aren't
> open yet of course.. and also the ones that they just re-cleared
this year
> on that side that I mentioned before.
>
> So, for all Ski-VTers near northern New Jersey and NYC, Mountain
Creek is
> certainly worth checking out if the weather doesn't get too warm
(though it
> isn't very cold today).  They were poised to open a couple of new
trails
> that they had been blowing snow on.
>
> A lift ticket will get you 8 hours of skiing.  Their system is
different
> than most mountains in that respect: they are open straight through to
> night skiing, so you can come at whatever time you like, pay full
price,
> and get 8 hours.  For example, we ran into all kinds of snags and
arrived
> late, buying our tickets at 10:45.  The time was printed on them and
we
> were entitled to ski until 7:15.  8 and a half hours, they give you
a half
> for lunch I suppose.
>
> My only complaint is the price: $44 for the 8 hours.  Mountain
Creek, even
> in its nice new state, won't be worth 44 bucks until they have
on-mountain
> jugglers and I can get served reebs at the bar. =)
>
> Take care all,
> -Mike
>
> At 12:03 PM 12/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >WARNING. Non-VT related:
> >
> >Visited friends in NJ yesterday and on the way, decided to ski
Mountain